Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
tward1604
Eight Point

Hunt In: wherever I can
Default Recovered Bullets

Who else likes recovering a bullet from downed game? I love getting a bullet back. I'll try and post pictures of the few I've recovered. Lets see what you got.
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post
Who else likes recovering a bullet from downed game? I love getting a bullet back. I'll try and post pictures of the few I've recovered. Lets see what you got.
I have a number of them but l really prefer a pass thru. If a deer runs after being shot,in our sandy country,you need a blood trail. Without a pass thru the blood is much harder to find and follow.
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I've got a couple somewhere. I'll see if I can find them. But, I'm like Winman, I prefer a pass thru. Don't get me wrong, I think its cool to find them but it doesn't' happen very often.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

I pulled a .257 Weatherby bullet out of a doe in Oklahoma last week. 100yrd shot, I was really surprised it did not pass through. It was quartering away and I hit a bunch of ribs and shoulder and it was lodged under the skin on the opposite side. Fell out as I was skinning it. Will try to remember to take a pic tonight.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
cashcropper
Eight Point

Its kinda neat but Im with Winman on this.
cashcropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
ctyp3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

I pulled a 7mm08 out of the buck I shot this last week. Was a 120 yard shot and he was quartering away a bit and hit part of the shoulder and lung. Was a hornady 139 grain bullet.
ctyp3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County

Ar15 223...62 grain Federal Fusion
Recovered the bullet from a doe I shot. Broke opposite leg and found lodged in skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

I find terminal ballistics fascinating but finding a projectile inside a Texas-sized whitetail deer is not ideal. I'm looking for a bullet that blows out a sizeable exit wound and falls to the dirt having expended all of its ennergy.
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #9
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
I find terminal ballistics fascinating but finding a projectile inside a Texas-sized whitetail deer is not ideal. I'm looking for a bullet that blows out a sizeable exit wound and falls to the dirt having expended all of its ennergy.
Physics dictates that if it exits it has not expended all its energy in the animal....just saying.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

It's always kind of interesting to see how a bullet performs on things. I predator hunt a lot so I try and use bullets that stay inside of things so I don't ruin pelts. The thing about that is it's mostly fragments I find if anything at all. I do have a Hog Hammer bullet out of a Blackout that I recovered from about a 150 pound sow.

I thought about getting a small drill bit and drilling a hole through it so I can fit a chain through it for a necklace. But that might be a little morbid and I don't wear jewelry so I don't know.

Last edited by okrattler; 11-28-2017 at 09:57 AM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I have several from over the years. Also have a small Tupperware with shot from ducks and geese

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #12
silentstalker92
Eight Point

Hunt In: votaw

they run less with a 7 mag. you may not find the bullet but you will find the deer
silentstalker92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #13
ranchdog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstalker92 View Post
they run less with a 7 mag. you may not find the bullet but you will find at least PARTS of the deer
Fixed it for you LOL

RD
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #14
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

I love terminal ballistics and bullet performance. Probably a little too much according to some but Iím digging this thread. Iíll have to see if I can find some to add to

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #15
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

Head or neck. They don't go far.
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #16
okrattler
Pope & Young

I have a few pellets (#4 shot) that my uncle pulled out of his face with a powerful magnet after getting shot while pheasant huntin.

I used to have a Hornady 52gr. BTHP I got out of a raccoon I shot but I don't know what happened to it. I need to post a picture of that Hog Hammer bullet. Most of those didn't stay inside of any hogs me and my buddies shot with them. They do open up but they'll punch right through some good sized hogs surprisingly. The only reason that one didn't is it hit a pig at a weird angle behind the left shoulder and ended up in its right hip just under the skin.

That's pretty much the only way I've ever recovered any bullets. There have been several times I was skinning something and heard a bullet hit the concrete floor or saw copper stuck in some meat.

Last edited by okrattler; 11-28-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #17
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I used to save shotgun slugs and fragments. Don't know if I've still got any left.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #18
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

I've always wanted to but have never had it happen. Guess that's a good thing too
tbeak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #19
tbeak
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
Physics dictates that if it exits it has not expended all its energy in the animal....just saying.
Interesting thought. I can understand this but also it hasn't created the maximum amount of damage?
By going all the way through it's creating the shockwave effect, causing internals to rupture. By using all its energy does less "impact" occur?

These are questions for debate not statements
Old 11-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #20
2014FusionM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack county, bailey county

Recovered one from a buddies pig he shot with a 270. Wish we would have kept it though would have been cool.
2014FusionM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #21
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeak View Post
Interesting thought. I can understand this but also it hasn't created the maximum amount of damage?
By going all the way through it's creating the shockwave effect, causing internals to rupture. By using all its energy does less "impact" occur?

I am a physics teacher I love mind experiments.

You are thinking of fluid dynamics and that the turbulence that the bullet causes as it moves through.

You are also thinking of the temporary cavity caused in ballistics gelatin.

That cavity is caused because the said bullet starts to expand......therefore expending energy and transferring the spent energy into the gelatin.

If a bullet does not expand, less energy is transferred so the cavity is less.

Let's go to the other extreme......what would happen if the bullet fully expanded and fragmented, expending 100% of its energy inside the animal. This is the concept behind the Berger bullets, DRT bullets, and others.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #22
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Recovered Bullets

Nope I want a complete pass through.

The maximum amount of damage will occur to tissue at the highest velocity so I put zero merit to the expends all energy inside the animal theory.

In the event they do run, I want blood gushing from 2 holes, not just one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #23
tbeak
Ten Point

Yea you're right, im thinking of the fluid dynamics part

Where my point of discussion is on the damage. I'll use a simple sewing needle as example. Assuming I apply the same pressure to the needle with my hand, if I push it all the way through, say my forearm, more damage is created by opening two wound openings. If i 'expend' all the energy and only go halfway, not as much damage. Then add in the fluid dynamic component of both examples, how would expending all energy inside the chest cavity be desirable?

All my thoughts are based on normal expanding hunting bullets, not fragment type rounds. The shrapnel that those create during expansion result in a different type of damage and not necessarily fluid dynamic?
Old 11-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #24
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Nope I want a complete pass through.

The maximum amount of damage will occur to tissue at the highest velocity so I put zero merit to the expends all energy inside the animal theory.

In the event they do run, I want blood gushing from 2 holes, not just one.

For work to be done in the animal energy has to be expended.

Work= change in energy

If it goes in at 3000fps and exits at 3000fps then no work will be done and no tissues will be influenced. This is your maximum velocity theory.

You will have 2 holes and no blood because no work was done on those tissues then there will be no blood to "Pour out". The laws of physics must be obeyed.

If you want tissue to be influenced you have to expend energy.....period. If you want to expend energy on a second hole, that is fine......But this still is you buying into the expending of energy theory.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #25
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Yea you're right, im thinking of the fluid dynamics part

Where my point of discussion is on the damage. I'll use a simple sewing needle as example. Assuming I apply the same pressure to the needle with my hand, if I push it all the way through, say my forearm, more damage is created by opening two wound openings. If i 'expend' all the energy and only go halfway, not as much damage. Then add in the fluid dynamic component of both examples, how would expending all energy inside the chest cavity be desirable?

All my thoughts are based on normal expanding hunting bullets, not fragment type rounds. The shrapnel that those create during expansion result in a different type of damage and not necessarily fluid dynamic?
It is still energy doing work.

The needle will do more work on your forearm because there is more tissue that it is disrupting.....this will also need more energy to accomplish.

The heart and lungs are in a suspended "Sac" in a negative pressure environment (thoracic cavity). This energy transfer shakes the hell out of them causing massive damage (aside from the physical trauma of the bullet tracks). This is similar to why a dog that is hit by a car can die from bleeding to death in the lungs when there are not any visible wounds outside.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
For work to be done in the animal energy has to be expended.

Work= change in energy

If it goes in at 3000fps and exits at 3000fps then no work will be done and no tissues will be influenced. This is your maximum velocity theory.

You will have 2 holes and no blood because no work was done on those tissues then there will be no blood to "Pour out". The laws of physics must be obeyed.

If you want tissue to be influenced you have to expend energy.....period. If you want to expend energy on a second hole, that is fine......But this still is you buying into the expending of energy theory.

Well I suppose if you had non expanding bullets your theory would be correct. An expanding Bullet will crush plenty of tissue within the temporary stretch cavity (easily indicated in Ballistic gelatin tests). The permanent wound channel will provide the blood trail. I want as Large of a temp cavity to crush as much tissue as possible while leaving as large of a permanent wound channel to allow as much external blood loss as possible.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #27
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:

In my opinion it just depends on the type of bullet. Hydrostatic shock kills. Which is why an expanding bullet or a bullet that fragments are way more lethal than a FMJ for example. I'm sure I didn't give any information to anyone that doesn't already know but.....all I can chalk it up to is type of bullet as far as killing capability goes.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #28
Big Mike M
Eight Point

Hunt In: Duval County west of Freer

Iíve killed several S. Texas bucks with my Mark V 7MM Weatherby Mag with 160 grain Weatherby ammo and had the bullet lodged between the skin and meat. Bucks were quartering away and went through ribs, backbone, and shoulder on opposite side. They fall straight down.
Big Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #29
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Well I suppose if you had non expanding bullets your theory would be correct. An expanding Bullet will crush plenty of tissue within the temporary stretch cavity (easily indicated in Ballistic gelatin tests). The permanent wound channel will provide the blood trail. I want as Large of a temp cavity to crush as much tissue as possible while leaving as large of a permanent wound channel to allow as much external blood loss as possible.

For a bullet to expand requires an expenditure in energy.

To crush requires an expenditure of energy.

To develop a temporary cavity requires an expenditure of energy.

To create a permanent wound cavity requires an expenditure of energy.

So again......what part of not believing in expending energy do you not believe in?????????
Old 11-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #30
tbeak
Ten Point

I don't think it's the energy thing, it's having a pass trough or having the bullet expend all the energy and remain inside the cavity people are discussing

Everything requires energy, just is it better to have it still be expending it as it passes all the way through or use it all and stay inside
Old 11-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #31
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

140gr Remington Core lokt in .264 Mag. Found under the skin in the neck of my aoudad, shot was from well below him, and he was quartering away a little.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #32
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't think it's the energy thing, it's having a pass trough or having the bullet expend all the energy and remain inside the cavity people are discussing

Everything requires energy, just is it better to have it still be expending it as it passes all the way through or use it all and stay inside

Yes this is what I was saying. Obviously there is energy transfer at impact. My point was I donít think there is any advantage to the Bullet staying inside the animal vs passing through. Enough energy has been expended in the animal in the first 6-8Ē of penetration to crush enough tissue and cause enough trauma to kill the animal. Beyond that it just becomes the smaller permanent channel.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #33
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:

Depends on shot placement. With marginal shots having 2 holes will help with tracking. With good shots expending all energy inside will always have the animal dead inside 10yds.

Nosler BT showed me this with the grendel. When I had catastrophic bullet failure the deer were DRT ( this was about 2/3 of the shots on about 90 animals). When they gave 2 holes (about 1/3 on the same 90 animals) and performed like MikeD likes they usually ran 10-30 yds.

I would rather have DRT then have to track anyday. Just my opinion.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #34
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood

I have only ever recovered 1, a 270 from the first hog I killed. Made a bad shot in the dark, quartering away, hit him in the back left and found the bullet lodged in the front right shoulder.
AgBass01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #35
Red_RaiderHTC
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Um yeah....
Name:  2375F16B-4918-4966-AE12-55CD7E5452D6.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  33.4 KB
Red_RaiderHTC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #36
J-Carp
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Thug View Post
Ar15 223...62 grain Federal Fusion
Recovered the bullet from a doe I shot. Broke opposite leg and found lodged in skin.

Man thatís not very good to retain less than half itís original weight. I also shoot the 62gr out of my AR, well that is until these last 40 or so rounds are gone then Iím switching to 53gr Hornady.
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #37
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_RaiderHTC View Post
Um yeah....

Attachment 885235

Do you remember the details on the one on the far right, and 3rd from right?

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #38
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Carp View Post
Man thatís not very good to retain less than half itís original weight. I also shoot the 62gr out of my AR, well that is until these last 40 or so rounds are gone then Iím switching to 53gr Hornady.
Shoot the Barnes TTX and you wonít lose that weight.
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #39
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

My brain burst after reading the physics debate. . .

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #40
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm very much aware of the physics but in a hunting scenario, a large and bleeding exit wound where the bullet barely exits the body is the eqivelent of a punt landing on the two yard line. I'll give up that much in trade.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #41
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
Depends on shot placement. With marginal shots having 2 holes will help with tracking. With good shots expending all energy inside will always have the animal dead inside 10yds.

Nosler BT showed me this with the grendel. When I had catastrophic bullet failure the deer were DRT ( this was about 2/3 of the shots on about 90 animals). When they gave 2 holes (about 1/3 on the same 90 animals) and performed like MikeD likes they usually ran 10-30 yds.

I would rather have DRT then have to track anyday. Just my opinion.

Shoot them in the base of the neck and this debate is moot.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #42
PROD49
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post
The one on right is a .270 145 gr Hornady ELDX I recovered from a huge Axis. The one of left is from a .243 Sierra Boatail off a buck my son shot last weekend. Both went through shoulder and lodged under skin on opposite side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #43
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would expect more weight retention out a bigger bullet. I was impressed on the amount of damage, with breaking the opposite leg and still having a bullet to find for such a small round.

I donít know a lot about guns and bullets but outside of a copper bullet, I thought the Fusion did its job under the circumstances.

Iíve heard the ballistic tips/hollow points tend to explode and fragment faster and donít do as good on Bone with smaller calibers.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #44
J-Carp
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULL21 View Post
Shoot the Barnes TTX and you wonít lose that weight.

Iím gonna switch to a Varmint round as I mainly hunt yotes with my 223.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #45
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Those look like some of those non expanding Barnes bullets.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #46
J-Carp
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Thug View Post
I would expect more weight retention out a bigger bullet. I was impressed on the amount of damage, with breaking the opposite leg and still having a bullet to find for such a small round.

I donít know a lot about guns and bullets but outside of a copper bullet, I thought the Fusion did its job under the circumstances.

Iíve heard the ballistic tips/hollow points tend to explode and fragment faster and donít do as good on Bone with smaller calibers.

https://www.federalpremium.com/produ...ds/fusion.aspx

They advertise it as high weight retention...and Im glad it did itís job. I have not been that impressed with it. I have shot a hand full of yotes with it out of my 10.5Ē AR. Only one dropped in its tracks from a heart shot at about 175yards. The rest while all fine shots ran about 100 yards. Maybe my hopes are to high for a 223 round taking down a yote but Iím gonna experiment with Varmint bullets and see what happens.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #47
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Quote:
https://www.federalpremium.com/produ...ds/fusion.aspx

They advertise it as high weight retention...and Im glad it did itís job. I have not been that impressed with it. I have shot a hand full of yotes with it out of my 10.5Ē AR. Only one dropped in its tracks from a heart shot at about 175yards. The rest while all fine shots ran about 100 yards. Maybe my hopes are to high for a 223 round taking down a yote but Iím gonna experiment with Varmint bullets and see what happens.
For Deer size and up I have had good luck the Federal Fusion out of the 243.

For small critters like yotes, I wouldnít use a bonded bullet. I would guess a more quick expanding bullet would be more ideal...Those varmit rounds/ballistic tips are nasty.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #48
J-Carp
Ten Point

I agree 100%. Thatís what I was getting at earlier...poor bullet selection on my part.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #49
Red_RaiderHTC
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Barnes tsx. 308 & barnes tsx 280 AI. Good weight retention but thats it...
All the middle are nosler and the far lefts are cor-lokts
Red_RaiderHTC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #50
texashunter56
Ten Point

I shoot high shoulder or point of the shoulder shots and very seldom get any pass thru with .270 Corelokt or .223 55 PSP. With the .270 they usually are on the offside just under the skin. If I kept them all I would have a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of them by this point in my life. So if or after I do look at them I just toss them in the gut bucket
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top