Water well experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water well experts?

Hoping to get some help on a water well issue. Forgive my terminology as I was raised by an old east Texas fart whom used different words for many things.

We currently have a "dug" well out on our property. It was dug by my grandfather and his brothers in the 40s. The water source is great artesian water but unfortunately the ground has shifted the "well curbs" and we now have silt that fills the bottom of the well. Along with all that one of the curbs has cracked and the metal showing is rusted.

My question is, would it be a good idea to have a "driven" or "drilled" put into said current dug well then just backfill the well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess nobody has water wells?

Comment

If there is a crack in the case it will need to be drilled and recased again.

Comment

I believe driving in prepacked well screens would be your best option. If a company brings out drilling equipment you'll be getting a whole new well. On a hand dug well that is still open it should be a piece of cake to drive some screens and casing into it

Comment

I had a dug well and I placed a pump in it. How big is the hole, how deep, can you tell if it is drilled through the rock and the water comes up.
          Mine was 4 foot across and 24 feet to the rock. The rock had a10 inch hole for water to come up into the well.

Comment

Originally posted by Corn Sack View Post
            I believe driving in prepacked well screens would be your best option. If a company brings out drilling equipment you'll be getting a whole new well. On a hand dug well that is still open it should be a piece of cake to drive some screens and casing into it

This was my thought exactly

Comment

Originally posted by wow View Post
              I had a dug well and I placed a pump in it. How big is the hole, how deep, can you tell if it is drilled through the rock and the water comes up.

Mine was 4 foot across and 24 feet to the rock. The rock had a10 inch hole for water to come up into the well.

The casing is 24in in diameter, roughly 20ft deep casing that stays 5, maybe 6ft filled with water.

No rock to my knowledge is below this. Before the silt filled the bottom is was a sand bottom that the water seeped through and filled the well.

Comment

Sounds like when the curb shifted it allowed the silt into the well.
                if it is only 20' to the water sand you should be able to get a 3 or 4"
                mud pump and wash 4" pvc down making a new well

Comment

Originally posted by RDT View Post
                  Sounds like when the curb shifted it allowed the silt into the well.

if it is only 20' to the water sand you should be able to get a 3 or 4"

mud pump and wash 4" pvc down making a new well

Yep that's exactly what it did.

Comment

Working...
                  X