Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truck bed cap vs cargo trailer....which one??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck bed cap vs cargo trailer....which one??

I'm tired of loading/unloading hunting gear into the truck or onto my trailer. While sitting on the stand all last week I got to thinking truck bed cap (aka campershell) vs a cargo trailer.

Not sure on cost of either but how many of you guys ever went down this road.

I like the bed cap but think it would get on my nerves having to climb up into the truck all the time. Plus I think I would end up taking it off in the spring/summer. Which could be a pain. But I could load it up and leave it loaded and just use my 6x12 trailer for 4 wheeler and coolers.

I like the idea of a trailer cause I can load it and leave it loaded with gear and possibly the 4 wheeler. Then just latch on and go. But I'm trying to figure out the other uses I would have for it. Maybe use it for my daughters dance team props...not sure. Of course some of these trailers can probably reach a nice price tag.

Any input from anyone that went through this...pros/cons, advice, where to buy, what to buy, what not to buy would be appreciated

Look for a used cargo trailer. I've been thinking of one too.

Comment

I have a bed cover/camper top. It has its pros and cons. The biggest disadvantage is large bulky items will no longer fit. But for me, the pros outweigh the cons. I had a cabinet maker build a bottom for mine ( think Truck Vault, but much cheaper ), with two long drawers that lock on rollers to hold what tools I carry plus jumper cables, a bottle jack, battery powered drill, bolt cutters, hacksaw, rope, 12v air compressor, etc. The other side holds an AK and ammo but will hold a bow or several long guns if needed. It's only about 10" deep, so there is still plenty of room for ice chests, duffel, etc on top. Three of us have traveled to Wyoming several times to hunt and had plenty of room for gear. I usually add a hitch haul on back for an extra large ice chest. Everything stays dry and it gives you at least a little security at motels on the trip. Cost was about $1200 I think, but the Truck Vault starts around $2500.

Comment

Used cargo trailers, especially with dual axels are difficult to find. If anyone has one for sale, please message me. Thanks!

Comment

Before I started driving a full size truck I enjoyed having the camper shell on my smaller trucks. I fished more than anything back then and built an insert that kept rods in one side and tackle boxes in the other. The top of that was padded and I'd crash there at night. I realize that isn't what you asked about but it's what popped into my head. The security of all of my gear would bug me too much to use either option these days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I would continue unloading my gear before leaving my hunting gear anywhere other than locked up in my house. Too many auto/trailer related thefts these days to feel comfortable leaving anything in my vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
              I would continue unloading my gear before leaving my hunting gear anywhere other than locked up in my house. Too many auto/trailer related thefts these days to feel comfortable leaving anything in my vehicle
              It would be backed into my shop. Guns and Bows would be brought into the house. This is getting to be a chore with 3 people's gear

Comment

I have a tonneau cover and have been happy with it. I can lock it when I need to, so someone would have to be really motivated if they wanted to get into it.

I have considered getting a full size camper shell when I purchase a new truck, but I'm not crazy about people being able to see into my bed through the windows. So, I think I'm going to stay with a tonneau cover again.

I use a trailer for my 4-wheeler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a cargo trailer to haul all of my gear in.
                  I get crappy mileage while pulling but I don't pull it every day.

Comment

What kind of truck do you have? I have a rolltrax bed cover that I just replaced the top on that will fit a short bed dodge that I will sell for $450.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                      What kind of truck do you have? I have a rolltrax bed cover that I just replaced the top on that will fit a short bed dodge that I will sell for $450.
                      Right now I have a F150 SCrew

Comment

Trailer would be great for other stuff, but gas mileage will suffer every time you go. Even on my diesel, it would drop from 18 to about 12., but if you are pulling another trailer with 4 wheeler, it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Comment

Look at the diamondback truck covers...might be something worth looking into...

Comment

I have an ARE tonneau cover and love it. It locks with all the truck locks. Great for putting luggage, groceries, camping gear, etc. out of sight out of mind for thieves. Bought a 4x8 trailer from Home Depot for when I need to carry dirt, bulky or tall stuff which is a lot less often than other uses. I originally got it cause I carry parts for work. I wouldn't not have one now. I cut a sheet of plywood to just fit the bed and put wooden dividers where needed and a handle to pull it out some if I need to reach anything up front. With a hard plastic drop in liner it slides easy without any bulky slides to take up space.

Comment

I have an Extang solid fold bed cover and it folds into 3rds and is easy to take off truck while not using. Works great hauling stuff to/
                              From lease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X