Best Handheld GPS for the Money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Handheld GPS for the Money?

I'm looking for a GPS for an upcoming hunt in Colorado. I'm not looking to break the bank but I don't want to buy junk either. Which ones should I look at? Thanks in advance!

I've had good luck with Garmin. Etrex is the one I have around $100. Some have more gestures that you will ever use
    Mine is basic.

Comment

My iPhone 7+ is good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
        My iPhone 7+ is good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I'm told there is no cell service where we will be hunting. I have to use a GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
          I'm told there is no cell service where we will be hunting. I have to use a GPS.
          Do you not need service for a gps?

Comment

Phone will work on gps with no cell service. All I use is Gaia maps with my phone.

Comment

If you have the onx maps for a state will it work on a phone with no service?

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
                If you have the onx maps for a state will it work on a phone with no service?

As in phone is out of service range or is just an old phone that is not activated ?

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                  Do you not need service for a gps?
                  Its my understanding the GPS triangulates your position from multiple satellites and a cell phone doesn't. So a GPS will work when a cell phone wont. Is that not the case?

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
                    As in phone is out of service range or is just an old phone that is not activated ?
                    Out of range of service iPhone 7

I’m on the fence of purchasing Garmin gps for an antelope hunt in Wyoming this year. If I can cut the gps out then I’m all for it if not then I better get it. Then I hear my old mans voice in my head “better have it and not need it rather than not have it and need it” no wonder I travel like a gypsy on hunts lol
                    Last edited by youngbuck1; 07-27-2018, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
                      Out of range of service iPhone 7

I’m on the fence of purchasing Garmin gps for an antelope hunt in Wyoming this year. If I can cut the gps out then I’m all for it if not then I better get it. Then I hear my old mans voice in my head “better have it and not need it rather than not have it and need it” no wonder I travel like a gypsy on hunts lol

Lol. Yes. ONx maps and Gaia etc work pretty much the same way. You can download the maps of the area your hunting before you go then once you lose cell service they are still available when you switch to offline mode.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
                        Lol. Yes. ONx maps and Gaia etc work pretty much the same way. You can download the maps of the area your hunting before you go then once you lose cell service they are still available when you switch to offline mode.
                        So do they show your position on the map like a GPS does or do you just get a map to look at?

I think along the same lines as youngbuck1's Dad. Just the peace of mind would be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                          So do they show your position on the map like a GPS does or do you just get a map to look at?

I think along the same lines as youngbuck1's Dad. Just the peace of mind would be worth it.

Shows your position. It works exactly like a regular gps.

Comment

Phone is ok as long as it doesn’t die. Make sure you start your app (on X for me) while you still have service.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                              Phone is ok as long as it doesn’t die. Make sure you start your app (on X for me) while you still have service.
                              ...or get wet....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X