Kitchen Knife Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Cutco. High price for cheap steel

My wife had to have them and they’re a waste. You still have to sharpen and yes it’s free but you have to send them in so kinda defeats the purpose if you use them daily.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
      A man who knows what he’s talking about.

Japanese knives are typically lighter, harder, and sharper. German knives are typically heavier, softer, and won’t hold an edge for as long. It’s personal preference but a lot of people who have used both prefer Japanese.

Shun’s are great bang for the buck, most people who have never used a quality knife before are blown away the first time they use them. Like jaw hanging open, scary sharp.

You don’t need to buy an expensive set. Start with a paring knife and an 8” chef’s knife, you’ll pay about $100 for the paring and $150 for the chef’s. You can add in a mid sized knife if you feel you need it, but it’s not necessary.

This would be a really nice starter set if you want 3 knives.

The Shun Premier line calls to mind as the hand-forged knives of ancient Japan. While each knife still takes at least 100 handcrafted steps to complete, the materials Shun uses are among the most advanced in the industry. Each blade has a cutting core of Shun's proprietary VG-MAX "super steel" to take and hold a pre…

Learn to use them well, then add in specialty knives you think would be useful where you find yours lacking. The honesuki is great for deboning chicken thighs, and the gokujo is awesome at removing silverskin and filleting.

Don’t spend a ton on steak knives, they’re serrated so steel quality isn’t important. Same with Cutco. I know a lot of people are happy with them, but you can get a MUCH better quality knife for less $.

Also make sure you get a good wood cutting board, don’t cut on glass, plates, or counter tops.
      Man knows what he's talking about! Shuns are good!

Comment

Shun

Comment

Henkel

Comment

Japanese knives are typically lighter, harder, and sharper. German knives are typically heavier, softer, and won’t hold an edge for as long. It’s personal preference but a lot of people who have used both prefer Japanese.

Shun’s are great bang for the buck, most people who have never used a quality knife before are blown away the first time they use them. Like jaw hanging open, scary sharp.

You don’t need to buy an expensive set. Start with a paring knife and an 8” chef’s knife, you’ll pay about $100 for the paring and $150 for the chef’s. You can add in a mid sized knife if you feel you need it, but it’s not necessary.

The Shun Premier line calls to mind as the hand-forged knives of ancient Japan. While each knife still takes at least 100 handcrafted steps to complete, the materials Shun uses are among the most advanced in the industry. Each blade has a cutting core of Shun's proprietary VG-MAX "super steel" to take and hold a pre…

Learn to use them well, then add in specialty knives you think would be useful where you find yours lacking. The honesuki is great for deboning chicken thighs, and the gokujo is awesome at removing silverskin and filleting.

Don’t spend a ton on steak knives, they’re serrated so steel quality isn’t important. Same with Cutco. I know a lot of people are happy with them, but you can get a MUCH better quality knife for less $.

Also make sure you get a good wood cutting board, don’t cut on glass, plates, or counter tops.
            This pretty much sums it up.

Comment

The link gatorgrizz posted is one hell of a deal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Wusthof

Comment

I forget the name of what we have at home but they are ok. Sab something. I have old Hickory at the ranch and keep them razor sharp. A proper sharp old hickory beats those fancy brands every time IMO. Just treat them like your cast iron pans

Comment

I've got a set of Henkels that my wife 100% loves. My go-to set are the Old Hickory's that I got when my grandparents passed away. I'll take the wooden handles and carbon steel anyday.

Richard.

Comment

I have 3 shun’s. Great knives. But have had a full block of Cutco’s for almost 20 years. Great set. Great guarantee

Comment

so much goodness here, I'll add a few things

As pointed out, Japanese knife sharpness comes from using harder steels (high carbon stainless, or carbon steel), thinner blades, and shallow blade angle. This also makes them more susceptible to chipping, so some forethought is needed for the application. This is why many japanese knives are specialized for specific tasks.

I love my honesuki/garasuki. I process about 200 chickens a year at year at my place, and i can break a chicken down in about two minutes with one.

Another knife to not waste money on: the bread knife. Don't spend more than $20, get a dexter, mercer, or tojiro (what I have). And then throw it away when it no longer cuts well.

I also keep a set of cheap pairing knives that I abuse the hell out of (and will probably toss when they cant cut).

If had to start over buying knives I'd get in this order:

1. A good gyuto, 270mm.
                        2. Two good japanese pairing knife for fine work, and 3 cheap pairing knives.
                        3. Cheap western boning knife (the bendy kind)
                        4. Cheap bread knife

That set will do just about anything

If you really like having a bunch of knives, I'd add

Honesuki/Garasuki for birds
                        Western Deba for fish
                        A chinese cleaver because they're awesome choppers

Comment

Shun in my kitchen ,

I got a customer that works for them in some way so I get a decent price break .

They are a lifetime investment in my opinion . Nothing better than grabbing the right tool for the job. As a shop owner for performance harleys I have the same thing in my shop so why not my kitchen .

Some places will have days where they have the knives for customer use and you can try slicing cutting etc with them . I have taken a few class's at Sur La Table , and if you take a class you will get a discount on what you buy .

So are we going to talk about high end cast iron pans next ?? I started buying Le Creuset pans WOW its just like the knives . Amazing

DUAL CORE 6.5-IN. NAKIRI best veggie knife I have every used . ( we eat alot of salads )

DUAL CORE 7-IN. SANTOKU basic use here

DUAL CORE 8-IN. KIRITSUKE

CLASSIC 6-IN. KIRITSUKE

Comment

Henckels for us...quick hit with the steel, if needed, and their GTG. Got a knife set because of the value but if I did it all over again I'd buy specific knives as some of them are multi-purpose. I can honestly say that three-four knives could suit all my needs.

Comment

I like and use the Cold Steel kitchen set. Steak knives are like lasers. The filet knife is my go to knife when cutting up deer.
                              Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Cold Steel 59KSSET 6 Steak Knifes Kitchen Classics Whole Set with Wood Block at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

Wusthof

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X