Homemade Oil Filter Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Oil Filter Wrench

Ratchet strap with hook and a tire iron (or long handled flat head screwdriver).

It grabs the whole filter...not just one section.

Figure...lefty loosey...hook top left and wrap strap clockwise several times around filter. Righty tighty...hook bottom right and wrap strap counterclockwise several time. Insert tire iron, longhandled flathead, 1/2" rebar, etc...through hook and leverage against filter. Hold loose end/tag end of strap...tight... to prevent slippage.

I broke two filter wrenches and bought an ineffective and expensive channel lock filter wrench. I was half a hair shy of stabbing the filter but have had experiences where it just wallered ("wallowed" for you Yanks) out a big hole and made a mess.

A piece of metal tubing can be used as a cheater bar to increase leverage.

If youve space for a factory made wrench...then youve more than plenty for this homemade wrench that is more effective.
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:14 AM.

Broke these wrenches

Bent the chain hook. Bent the handle and pin for the metal strap.
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Standard piece of equipment in my box. Buddy always laughs at me when he sees it. Then he couldn't remove a filter and it took me 30 seconds. He's a believer now

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Your over tightening your oil filters if you are breaking that many wrenches trying to get them back off.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          Your over tightening your oil filters if you are breaking that many wrenches trying to get them back off.
          I absolutely believe you. I wasnt the fool who put it on. Just the fool who had to take it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
            I absolutely believe you. I wasnt the fool who put it on. Just the fool who had to take it off.

Yeah been there done that haha. Oil change places are the worst about over tightening filters

Comment

That and no oil changes in a couple years for heavy machinery that rarely gets turned on

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                That and no oil changes in a couple years for heavy machinery that rarely gets turned on

This right here! I've got a couple old tractors that don't get used often. I looked the other day on a tractor, it's been 5 years since an oil change, but not even 200 hours in those 5 years. That one is going to be a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

or if space is limited.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	24457348

Comment

presidential solution

Comment

Nice, good idea in a pinch.

Something I have done if there is room. Drive a big screwdriver right through one side and out the other. The side walls of those filters are super easy to push it through.

Make sure an oil pan is under it.

But hey, not like you are going to reuse it, so don't mind destroying it.

Comment

Expected to see a picture of a flat head screwdriver. Much finer examples included

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post

[ATTACH]807598[/ATTACH]
                          This looks awesomely homemade. I reckon the loop is slipped over filter...handle gets twisted to tighten strap...and get to torqueing...?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                            This looks awesomely homemade. I reckon the loop is slipped over filter...handle gets twisted to tighten strap...and get to torqueing...?
                            That is exactly right. They now sale a similar device at most auto parts stores

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post

[ATTACH]807598[/ATTACH]
                              Ive used a homemade one like that and it worked great. One of the easier filter 'wrenches' ive used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X