DIY hide tanning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY hide tanning

I was given a bobcat recently that the hunter decided not to do anything with. I am going to tan the skin so I thought I would post up the process I go through. This is the method I have figured out and it has worked well for me so far. It's not professional quality but it is a fun DIY proect for me.

I start out with a rubbermaid tub filled with water.

And I add 2 pounds of canning salt from Wally world. This is a 4 lb box. We'll use the rest later.

Next I put in 2 capfuls of Lysol Concentrate and mix well. This is my thawing solution. I add the salt and Lysol to kill any bacteria during the thawing process. Bacteria are what cause hair slippage.

After that is mixed up I add 1 frozen whole bobcat.

Looking forward to the rest of your progress. Keep them coming and thanks for posting

Comment

Interesting. Keep it coming.

Comment

Nice. Thanks for posting. What's next?

Comment

I let the cat marinate in the thawing solution until it is flexible enough to skin.

I start the skinning process. I did not get many good pics of the skinning process. My wife was less than thrilled at the idea of taking pics of a half skinned cat in our garage.

And end up with one bobcat pelt and skull. The skull is going to a friend in the DFW area who has been looking for a bobcat skull to get Euroed for his office. You can see the size of the hole where he was shot.

I try to remove as much of the meat and flesh from the hide as possible and then I lay it out on a flat area with some salt. I'm using a large rubbermaid tub lid here.

I lay the hide out and start thoroughly covering it with salt.

And here is the hide completely covered with salt. I may have overdone it a bit. I used 8 lbs of salt for this one hide.

I'll leave him in the salt for 24 hours. Tomorrow afternoon I'll shake the salt off and start the pickling process. I will be using the Lutan F tanning kit from Van Dykes. Before then I need to go buy some more salt.

Comment

Rock on! Can't wait to see the rest

Comment

How many critters have you skinned using this "thawing" solution?

Comment

hurry!

Comment

good post

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                    How many critters have you skinned using this "thawing" solution?
                    This is the first I've skinned after thawing in this brine. But I have used the same brew to thaw 3 other hides that were just skinned and frozen. In this case I just needed to thaw the cat to make it flexible enough for me to skin. The other frozen hides I just wanted to get them thawed out to salt them. I don't know if I am really getting any benefit from the Lysol and salt but it doesn't seem to hurt. It's just a simple 'peace of mind step'. I realize this whole thread may seem pretty comical to a taxidermist but I'm just having some fun with hides that otherwise would end up in the trash. I know my process and results are far from professional.

Comment

Keep it coming!! Cant wait to see the finished product!

Comment

Toby,

I am glad you are posting this. I have a bobcat in the freezer that my wife killed. I have not done anything with it yet. When you are finished with it I will show my wife, and then hopefully get to do it to HER bobcat.

Tommy

Comment

Keep us posted

Comment

I've never seen anyone thaw an animal (or un-tanned hide) in any kind of solution.
                            It's new to me and I was just wondering if you've done enough like that to encounter any problems.

I rehydrate, measure, then freeze all my dry tanned capes and of course, freeze the wet tanned capes. I do put them in a sink full of water to thaw them, when I'm ready to mount, but I've never done it with an un-tanned skin.

Not saying it's wrong ... just never seen it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                              I've never seen anyone thaw an animal (or un-tanned hide) in any kind of solution.
                              It's new to me and I was just wondering if you've done enough like that to encounter any problems.

I rehydrate, measure, then freeze all my dry tanned capes and of course, freeze the wet tanned capes. I do put them in a sink full of water to thaw them, when I'm ready to mount, but I've never done it with an un-tanned skin.

Not saying it's wrong ... just never seen it done.

It's interesting to see the difference in the professional process to me. Again, I am not looking for anything suitable to mount but am just making tanned hides that are suitable for throwing over a couch or ottoman. I came up with that brine recipe after reading every written description of processes on the net that I could find. The science involved in disinfecting and salting makes sense to me (I have a degree in zoology and studied microbiology in grad school). I don't need the precision or care in my process that a taxidermist making a mount requires. I just need something that does not shed hair and will look presentable on a chair back long term. I have a blackbuck doe hide I got from Wil Taylor (delriowil) a few years ago that I tanned using the same process and it turned out to be a very nice ottoman rug with NO slippage of hair using this same process.

I'd like to see from a taxidermist the process they use to split lips, ears, tails, nose, etc... This is still a mystery to me. I, and I am sure many others posting on this thread, would love to have the input of a pro on how to do this.

Comment

Working...
                              X