Any SCUBA divers on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any SCUBA divers on here?

Tina and I did a discovery dive, last year in Puerto Vallarta, and said we'd be certified before our next trip ... so we did it.

We finished our Open Water certification dives in time to buy all our gear and get in one more lake dive before we left for her birthday trip to Playa del Carmen. We fit 6 dives into our week there ... I'd have spent every day diving, if she'd had let me, but it was her birthday ...

I think I'm almost as eat up with diving, as I am with hunting.

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of diving to be done around here unless you're willing to dive in chocolate milky lake water.

I'm looking for some weekend trips, within driving distance for the spring. I think we're going back to Cabo, in March and then Roatan a little later in 2017, but I'll need something in between those just to fight off the cabin fever!

I plan on taking more classes to get my Advanced Open Water, and then Master Diver.

I'll ask my sister. She's a dive freak

Comment

Possum Kingdom Lake is a good dive lake from what I hear. I used to dive at Lake Sam Rayburn and Lake Nacogdoches when I was in college, a million years ago. They've probably dried up by now. haha

Comment

There is a scuba lake in Athens and one in Terrell. She said the Flower Gardens in.the gulf is good.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7meMHVztyw&sns=sms"]Coral Reef in the Gulf of Mexico: Flower Garden Banks - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I haven't been in a few years.
          some nice places here in Texas that I know of are the rig and liberty ships of south padre. I can't remember the name but there is a live aboard that leaves out of Freeport very nice trip. lake Travis in Austin is Ok. I would skip the master diver and go Rescue then Dive Master. The Dive Master class was one of the best courses I took you learn a lot.

Comment

I don't know about around here but you will definitely love Roatan. Do a night dive or two while you are there. The wife didn't want to but caved and said it was here favorite dive ever. She didn't even get to see the moray eel following her around though. Do a little research on the sand fleas/flies there before you go. There are ways to keep them off but you have to plan ahead. We did not. Not fun.

Comment

There was a place in Huntsville people I know used to talk about going to. Cant remember the name of it.

Comment

Blue Lagoon is in Huntsville . Pensacola Florida isn't a bad drive from Houston. I used to make that drive a couple times a year to dive on the weekend. If you need a dive partner let me know. I'm down to do some more diving.

Comment

There's rig diving in the Gulf. I believe there's still a few groups that leave out of Freeport.

You can also dive some of the hill country lakes; i.e. Canyon, Lake Travis, etc. The water clarity isn't too bad.

There's a Texas diving group called Texas Swamp Divers. I'm sure they have a lot of information.

Home of the Texas Swamp Divers. Find out about the activities of NDI's TSDT and discover first hand if Texans really dive in their spurs.

Heck, one of the first threads on that board is titled "Favorite Texas dive sites".

No question there are places to dive in Texas, but the clear water of Mexico, Belize or other Caribbean islands will pretty much spoil you. I've dove many different places and still think Cozumel was the best I've done. It was also one of the less expensive places to go.
                  Last edited by CaptainDave; 11-03-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
                    There was a place in Huntsville people I know used to talk about going to. Cant remember the name of it.
                    Blue Lagoon.

Cozumel is an easy cheap trip and can be done on a light budget.

The Flower Gardens out in the Gulf is a good trip.

Comment

Freshwater dives are typically uneventful and rather boring. Unless you just want a refresher or to check equipment I would hold off until next trip.

ac

Comment

Got certified a few years back. We did our cert dives over around Terrell called Clear Springs Scuba Park. They had decent water clarity and a few sunken ships to dive around. Nothing too deep or hard but it was fun.

Comment

I took my Rescue diver course at the blue lagoon it was an old rock quarry I believe? I still have caliechie all over my BC that won't wash out that was 20 yrs ago

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            Tina and I did a discovery dive, last year in Puerto Vallarta, and said we'd be certified before our next trip ... so we did it.

We finished our Open Water certification dives in time to buy all our gear and get in one more lake dive before we left for her birthday trip to Playa del Carmen. We fit 6 dives into our week there ... I'd have spent every day diving, if she'd had let me, but it was her birthday ...

I think I'm almost as eat up with diving, as I am with hunting.

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of diving to be done around here unless you're willing to dive in chocolate milky lake water.

I'm looking for some weekend trips, within driving distance for the spring. I think we're going back to Cabo, in March and then Roatan a little later in 2017, but I'll need something in between those just to fight off the cabin fever!

I plan on taking more classes to get my Advanced Open Water, and then Master Diver.
                            18 dives here. Started at the Great Barrier Reef so it has kinda been downhill from there! I keep saying I want to dive some Texas rivers but haven't checked into it much. I reckon you could spearfish for carp and tilapia if you wanted.

Diving is one of my favorite things of all time.

Comment

Copelands Dive shop here in Corpus Christi runs boats out of Port Aransas occasionally.

I've also heard that Lake Amistad is great for divers. I've been there with a snorkel, mask and fins and it was pretty dang clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X