advice on frame pack for western hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice on frame pack for western hunt

looking at getting a pack that will be used 1-2 times a year for packing antelope/deer and hopefully some elk meat one day. not interested in spending $400-700 on a something that gets used twice a year if that. all the different brands, kuiu, kifaru, eberlstock, etc....can get a guy lost with all the options. many are customizable but I don't see how that works out very well for fit and such if you don't have a dealer nearby to put your hands on them. any advice on from the greenscreen on packs you use and like? I get a great deal from sitka, but they do not seem big in the pack market. looking for something for a couple hundred $$ honestly.

If you log any miles in the mountains on a true backcountry pack hunt, you’ll wish you spent 400-700 on a pack.... buy used. Always good deals on rokslide in the classifieds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You wont regret saving up the extra cash for one of the big names.

But If you dont want to drop that much cash then hit up your local REI and they can help you get fitted for a good backpacking pack. It wont be designed to hold as much weight as a external frame pack but they are still a good option

I currently use a Kifaru frame and Fulcrum bag and it's a beast. Good thing about Kifaru is its US made and I could turn around and sell the whole setup tomorrow for almost what I paid for it

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
        If you log any miles in the mountains on a true backcountry pack hunt, you’ll wish you spent 400-700 on a pack.... buy used. Always good deals on rokslide in the classifieds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yessir!!! I went with the Stone Glacier for around $700 but it is everything they said it would be. My REI pack was very good but obviously not designed for the hunter in mind.

Comment

My Osprey has served me well. Didn't spend near that much.

Gary

Comment

I'm running an exo mtn 2200 this year.. I'll probably buy the bigger bag next year if we deside to move away from a base camp type scenario.

Comment

As others said, spend the $ because pack in and pack out is horrible with a crappy frame.

That said, if you are just looking for a solid frame smaller pack to use while hiking from the truck each day, look at Stone Glacier around 3000 series. They still have the x-frame, and load shelf, but are much smaller, and I think around $400.

I personally have the Sky 5900, with some add on's that get me above 6500. But its incredibly balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
                looking at getting a pack that will be used 1-2 times a year for packing antelope/deer and hopefully some elk meat one day. not interested in spending $400-700 on a something that gets used twice a year if that. all the different brands, kuiu, kifaru, eberlstock, etc....can get a guy lost with all the options. many are customizable but I don't see how that works out very well for fit and such if you don't have a dealer nearby to put your hands on them. any advice on from the greenscreen on packs you use and like? I get a great deal from sitka, but they do not seem big in the pack market. looking for something for a couple hundred $$ honestly.
                Sitka big hauler pack is a great frame it’s just not very modular.

Honestly budget wise the external frame packs like Cabelas series work great, but they are wide, cumbersome, heavy and again not very modular... but again will absolutely get the job done

You can also buy any Exo, Kifaru, SG or Kuiu frame and run a 4500 cubic in dry bag

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                  I'm running an exo mtn 2200 this year.. I'll probably buy the bigger bag next year if we deside to move away from a base camp type scenario.
                  I ran the Exo 2200 in Idaho on a 8 mile deep trip for 7 days. Just had all my camp stuff in dry bag on load shelf.

Comment

I have only ever used the Kifaru Cavern with Lite frame, but I felt like my pack was one of the most critical pieces of gear for a true back country hunt, so I dedicated a significant chunk of budget towards the pack. I didn't want to find out too late that I had the wrong one.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      I ran the Exo 2200 in Idaho on a 8 mile deep trip for 7 days. Just had all my camp stuff in dry bag on load shelf.
                      This will be my first trip . Thanks for the tip. I imagine I'll learn a lot about what's need or not after this year..

Comment

Haven't gotten a chance to hunt in it yet, but have done some backpack camping and hiking with a Stone Glacier 40/56 that I picked up off of the Rokslide forum for about 400 bucks with the frame, pack, hip pockets, lid, and nalgene carrier. It's an awesome pack, and has a lot of versatility in how you use it depending on how much gear you do or don't have for that particular trip.

Comment

Good advice here already about checking Rokslide classifieds for something in your price range. Packs are something I'd throw in the "buy once cry once" category. Most of the companies will let you try one and if it doesn't work you can send it back. Load it up with weight and use it for a bit and give it a good test drive. Throw 100+ lbs. in it and you can definitely feel the difference between an Exo, Kifaru, SG, etc. and an economy-type pack.

Comment

If you're not going into the backcountry with it, just packing out game, no need for a several hundred dollar pack and frame.
                            We use good fitting day packs for every day hunting and a pack frame for hauling out quarters. The day packs are capable of hauling out a load of boned meat if needed.

We have these for both of us : https://wildernesspacks.com/product/bighorn-frame/
                            Have packed many elk , moose and deer. Antelope get put on the game cart.

A well made frame with a good fitting harness and hip belt are all that is needed to haul quarters, A meat shelf or "lashing system" is needed to hold the quarters to the frame.
                            We have attached a hip pack on the bottom of the frame when extras are needed to be hauled.

If you're packing in many miles with camping supplies then a good well , made pack and frame are called for.
                            The brands mentioned by others are where to look.

Comment

Mine is a badlands summit pack i got at midway on sale for $169. The most i've carried in it is 60#. I like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X