No announcement yet.

Credit Card ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm only 17 so my input might not be the best but...I have a MasterCard/debit card that's hooked up tou checking account and I only use that If I buy online other than that everytgibg is I'm cash. It just helps
    Me control it better because I can see how much I'm losing haha

Comment

Originally posted by csmith936 View Post
      All you're saying is that you are irresponsible.....
      More like I have the propensity to be irresponsible. As do you. And proven by statistics, people are susceptible to making stupid decisions.

Case in point? Oh I dunno, America: $854.2 billion in credit card debt.

"I'll pay it off! I always do!" Sure: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/51-perce...rd-debt-study/

Yeah, ok. Hope that works out for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        More like I have the propensity to be irresponsible. As do you. And proven by statistics, people are susceptible to making stupid decisions.

"I'll pay it off! I always do!" Sure: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/51-perce...rd-debt-study/

I treat mine like a debit card....and pay it off every month! If the funds aren't there, then I don't use it! It's pretty simple.....but hey it's a free world and we all get to choose the routes we wanna go

Comment

Originally posted by csmith936 View Post
          I treat mine like a debit card....and pay it off every month! If the funds aren't there, then I don't use it! It's pretty simple.....but hey it's a free world and we all get to choose the routes we wanna go
          No question, and I meant nothing personal against you. It seems people, in general, are fairly incapable of maintaining an even keel. There are always those who manage to pull it off, though. Take care.

Comment

Only things that go on mine are automated, car note, electric bill, and i think the trash company. Its about the same every month and gets paid off every month. Get points from it and builds credit.

Comment

interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                I wish I had never got a credit card. Things are evil ....
                x2, but in today's times at least one is a necessary evil.

Originally posted by buckmastertexas View Post
                When I buy stuff online, I would never use a debit card. I just feel that that a credit card has more protection and you have recourse if something goes wrong. I don't let anyone have my bank info, via debit card, online.
                This has merit, you do have more protection if something goes wrong.

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                I have a GM card that gives 5% back towards the purchase on a new GM vehicle. It's paid me back over $10,000 over the years. Most you can bank is $500 a year in credits. Once I max out I use my Amazon card.

Credit cards and morons are not a good mix. Don't blame the credit card. Blame the person you see locking in the mirror.

Dave Ramsey is missing out on some easy money.
                You're right they do not make good mix.

But the free money is not really there. The cards that pay 1% back charge the vendor 3%, this cost is added into the goods and services you use. The fuel station by the house gives a .07¢ cash discount. Use a card on gunbroker you pay an extra 3%, I send them a money order.

Originally posted by Bowtechshooter View Post
                I'm only 17 so my input might not be the best but...I have a MasterCard/debit card that's hooked up tou checking account and I only use that If I buy online other than that everytgibg is I'm cash. It just helps Me control it better because I can see how much I'm losing haha
                Wise beyond your years!

----------------------

Banks and credit card companies are making billions every year by giving us the illusion of free money back. We're actually paying for this convenience, you can reduce this cost with cash back and bonus cards, but its not free.

Comment

I have a southwest card. Considering a trip to Cabo...

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                    x2, but in today's times at least one is a necessary evil.

This has merit, you do have more protection if something goes wrong.

You're right they do not make good mix.

But the free money is not really there. The cards that pay 1% back charge the vendor 3%, this cost is added into the goods and services you use. The fuel station by the house gives a .07¢ cash discount. Use a card on gunbroker you pay an extra 3%, I send them a money order.

Wise beyond your years!

----------------------

Banks and credit card companies are making billions every year by giving us the illusion of free money back. We're actually paying for this convenience, you can reduce this cost with cash back and bonus cards, but its not free.

In most cases you are correct. With the GM card giving back 5% there actually is some free money there. The catch of course is that they will eventually get to sell you a new vehicle and make their money back. But if you will buy one anyway you can come out ahead.

If you buy a small ticket item the merchant usually won't give you a cash discount so you will pay the 3% anyhow. May as well get 1 or 2% back. On larger purchases it never hurts to ask if they will give you a cash discount. Gun stores will almost always go for the cash.

Sorta like getting a 0% car loan. It is added to the cost of the vehicle. It's very hard to beat them at their own game. But you can get back money you wouldn't have received otherwise.

The credit card company is betting you will get behind. Then they have you where they want you. They don't like you paying in full at the end of every month.

Comment

Originally posted by buckmastertexas View Post
                      When I buy stuff online, I would never use a debit card. I just feel that that a credit card has more protection and you have recourse if something goes wrong. I don't let anyone have my bank info, via debit card, online.
                      Even face to face purchases are safer with a credit card. Most all credit cards have a max loss limit if the card is hacked or stolen, not the case with debit.

Comment

Credit Card ?

I don't have a credit card for the same reason I don't have a pet rattlesnake: all it takes is one bad move and you're dead. Just ask the giant percentage of Americans who are buried deep in credit card debt. They started just like these guys above... "Oh yeah, I always pay it off." "The points are so great!" "I got $150 bucks back."

Woooooohooooooo. Spare me. Cash is king.

I am gonna enough to turn in my points in to Cabelas Outfitters and go on Arizona Couse Hunt. But, sadly, I don't fall into your stats you posted.

Also as I found out the hard way. Not having revolving credit and only paying cash drives down your credit score even if you pay all your other bills early. Stupid system but I learned how to play their dumb game.

Comment

My now X wife ran up over 50K and had another PO box the bills went to. When I paided off the bills and ran her off she canceled my card. I don't think I will ever have another. Card or wife.

Comment

I use a Southwest and GM card. I got $2000 off my truck in 2011 and currently have somewhere around 10-15 round trip flights on my SW card

Comment

Definitely sounds like someone who wasn't responsible enough to use a credit card wisely and got burned. Yes, if you don't pay the card off in full every month or miss a payment they are bad. I'm sure there are plenty of people who abuse CC like your statistics show, but that shouldn't warrant a generalized comment that they are bad. I pay all 3 of mine off in full twice a month to make absolute certain I never have an issue with payment.

Every time someone creates a "what credit card should I get" thread, someone has to reply how their cash is king method is so superior and how "evil" CC can be. Save those for the "should I get a credit card" thread.

And to "let you know how that works for me," I'll be paying half of my new Sako A7 next month with CC rewards. 100% free money for me

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                                I am gonna enough to turn in my points in to Cabelas Outfitters and go on Arizona Couse Hunt. But, sadly, I don't fall into your stats you posted.

Also as I found out the hard way. Not having revolving credit and only paying cash drives down your credit score even if you pay all your other bills early. Stupid system but I learned how to play their dumb game.
                                Well done! I forgot to mention revolving credit and how important that is to a credit score. 30% I believe?

Good luck on your hunt!

Comment

Working...
                                X