Tundra steering rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tundra steering rack?

I have a 2012 tundra crewmax 4x4 with 52k miles on it. It has run great with no issues whatsoever. About 3 weeks ago I had a 3/1 leveling kit put on. Today all of a sudden it felt like I lost my power steering. Managed to get it back to the shop that installed the kit and they said it looks like my front steering rack is blown and will need to be replaced. Said it is a common probably on Tundras before 2013 and had nothing to do with the leveling kit but they are going to get me a new one at cost which I think is pretty great. I'm going to call the dealership in the morning and ask some questions and have done some brief research on my phone ( still sitting at the shop waiting for a ride ) and have found a little about this problem. All that being said, have any of you guys had this issue with your tundras? If so, are they stock? Lifted? Leveling kit? Thanks guys. Sorry for the long read, I'm sitting here typing on my phone, lol

Ttt

Comment

no issues here, 07 w/ 105,000 miles

Comment

No issues on my 11. Right now I am googling what the front steering rack is.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
          No issues on my 11. Right now I am googling what the front steering rack is.
          I had to do the same thing, lol

Comment

2010 with 110k and nothing but maintnence.....I had to jump start a forklift the other day and didn't know where the hood latch was located. I realized that I had never opened the hood myself,....

Comment

I have an 05 tacoma with a 6" lift I had to get a new steering rack on..a few tacoma owners I know have had to do the same

Comment

Originally posted by garzanium View Post
                I have an 05 tacoma with a 6" lift I had to get a new steering rack on..a few tacoma owners I know have had to do the same
                If you don't mind me asking, what did it run ya?

Comment

The rack was around $350 with the core return from O'Reilly. They gave me the best price and a guy I trust that knows Toyota well said he has had better luck with them and the lifetime warranty that offer. I was charged about $300 for the install. Should be about a 3hr labor charge.

Comment

The 4.6 looks like it has problems. The 5.7 seems fine...............

Comment

I have a dodge 1500 with leveling kit. Same thing happened

Comment

Originally posted by garzanium View Post
                        The rack was around $350 with the core return from O'Reilly. They gave me the best price and a guy I trust that knows Toyota well said he has had better luck with them and the lifetime warranty that offer. I was charged about $300 for the install. Should be about a 3hr labor charge.
                        Hmmm, they told me $750 was their cost. I need to do some more digging when I get home. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
                          The 4.6 looks like it has problems. The 5.7 seems fine...............
                          Mines the 5.7

Comment

I had Toyota install the same kit on my 2011 4.6 tundra before I ever drove it off the lot. It is all covered under my 125,000 mile extended warranty. 60,000 miles as of now and no issues.

Comment

08' 213,000 miles, no modifications, no problems. Runs, rides and drives just like the day i bought it.

Comment

Working...
                              X