No announcement yet.

Which flats wading boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using the same pair of Raygaurd Reef Boots for 10 years now. I walk a lot shell areas so they have been great and will last a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      Thanks for all of your suggestions. I hope to actually try some on rather than mail ordering. Not sure which way to go yet, but thank for the recommendations.

Chuck Naiser.
      Academy will have a few different styles and brands

Comment

Randy,
        I have a hard time wading for long periods in those flat neoprene "booties" with no heal or support. I got a pair of these Cabela's boots with the felt sole and heel and they are much more comfortable. I don't think you'll have an issue with the side zipper. I now use the lace up style with a full heel/sole for comfort, but always carry the felt sole booties as back ups. With wet wading, I use the booties with no socks. There's a band at the top of the boot that effectively keeps ALL shell out of the boot and almost all of the sand. The other neoprene booties will do much the same too. I'd send you mine to use, but just so happens I'll be at the Chandeleur's fishin' myseff...

EDIT: The VERY FIRST thing to do though is ask your guide if you will be in the boat or wading or both... might be that you won't have to worry about it...

Comment

NRS-titanium. Best I have found. They stay on tight, won’t unzip themselves, and don’t let any pebbles in.

Comment

Randy - Best advice is call the guide. See if you need them. Good chance you won’t. I have waxed for a while and use old athletic shoes most of the time. I have about 3 pairs of wading shoes and boots and they just sit in a storage hatch

Comment

All I can add is make sure that you buy them a size or to bigger if you are going to wear waders

Comment

These will probably be my next pair but they are pricey. Cable system makes them easy to get on & off unlike lace ups but they tighten up and give you some actual support.

[ATTACH]925145[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Skipshot View Post
                  These will probably be my next pair but they are pricey. Cable system makes them easy to get on & off unlike lace ups but they tighten up and give you some actual support.

[ATTACH]925145[/ATTACH]
                  My fly fishing wader boots are Korkers with this same BOA steel cable lacing system, and I highly recommend those. The soles can also be changed from felt to rubber to rubber with spikes or aluminum bars.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    Randy - Best advice is call the guide. See if you need them. Good chance you won’t. I have waxed for a while and use old athletic shoes most of the time. I have about 3 pairs of wading shoes and boots and they just sit in a storage hatch

Glen, what is this waxing you speak of?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                      Glen, what is this waxing you speak of?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Oh man!!!!!!

Maybe a business opportunity........

Comment

What kind of wax??? inquiring minds want to know! ...and WHERE do you put the wax?

Comment

Originally posted by Skipshot View Post

[ATTACH]925145[/ATTACH]
                          Skipshot.....Unless they changed the design, they will not hold up in a salt environment.

Fishing with Chuck, you need to find out if he's poling the boat or wading. If your wading, it will be a workout as he will walk the entire face of the earth in search of a big school.

I've had better luck buying the Simms gravel guard neoprene socks ($30) and a cheap pair of zip up boots. This is what I have for quests but prefer lace ups personally. Academy had a great Megellan zip up boot with a velcro strap at top but discontinued it I believe.

Comment

I just use the $20 Magellan wading boots from academy. They pull on like neoprene sock. The zippers don't hold up but I don't need them anyway. They don't pull off if I hit a patch of mud even if unzipped. No socks. Kick off the sandals pull on the boots and hop in. Just make sure there is no crushed up shell stuck to your feet or it will rub. I've had my current pair for a couple years.

Comment

Not sure which way to go yet, but thank for the recommendations.
                              You can sling it well both ways there Big Boy!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X