• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
    Plant sesame instead!
    Can you elaborate please?

Comment

Sesame seed the hogs cant rut up seeds but turkys can. Supposedly deer wont mess with it as much while its coming up. I think they will depends on how hungry the deer are but they love sunflowers when they are young. Longer growing season but dove love it and most importantly it is drought tolerate. What i do is plant a mixture of milo sunflowers and sesame.

Comment

I planted sesame and sunflowers mixed together in the Hill Country. The deer wiped out the sunflowers and never touched the sesame. From what I was told you need to shred sesame at intervals as it matures to knock out the seeds. Someone with more experience with can tell more about it. Best dove hunting I had was in La Salle County when I planted Brown Top Millet in June. The 14 acre field had doves in it from opening day till early November. If you want something that will reseed itself every year, plant Sorghum Almum. Let it mature standing then bale it or turn cattle in the field. Not sure about the legalities of shredding it to hunt over though. Makes a lot of seed that can reseed itself easily for 3-5 yrs depending on rainfall.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys

Comment

Two types of sesame old kind that opens new kind that doesnt. Prolly cant find nold stuff, just need to roundup it at the right time then shred.

Comment

Guys this all great advice! If I were to go with the brown top millet as mentioned. Do I just let it grow or do I need to do anything after it is planted besides pray for rain

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde12 View Post
                Guys this all great advice! If I were to go with the brown top millet as mentioned. Do I just let it grow or do I need to do anything after it is planted besides pray for rain
                You can cut strips out as the season goes on in order to give the dove a clear spot to land and have new seed on the ground.

Comment

Working...
                X