Water trough for deer has algae?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    We all drink chlorinated water every day.
    Plus the water has fluoride in it. Those pesky Russians are using it to sap all of our precious bodily fluids. ��

In fairness to the OP, there are likely no double blind studies regarding the taste of human flesh with chlorine intake and without. ��

I second the goldfish. We put CMU in ours to give them some cover from the coons and birds.
    Last edited by RR 314; 04-14-2021, 06:51 AM.

Comment

The OP is talking about water troughs in his feeder pen which usually means a small trough hooked to a tote. Assuming this is the case, goldfish wouldn't last a day in my trough once the coons discovered the easy meal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000 Seismic water6.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	24649277

Comment

I have learned don't worry about the algae, it's natural for animals to drink water with algae in it. Probably has a flavor they like or that they don't have a problem with. I used to clean our water trough out regularly to get rid of the algae, but don't bother anymore.

What I found watching my game camera, that was on my water trough for a couple of years, was I would have deer, coons and foxes coming to the trough all the time. Then I would go fill it with water, from our water company, which has chlorine in it. When I would do that, the deer, foxes and coons would not have anything to do with the water trough for about three days. Then after three days, they would start using it again. I figured that's about how long it took for the chlorine to evaporate from the water naturally. I have found, if I just leave the trough alone, they use it all the time. I do add water to it, when it gets low, but I don't spend so much time cleaning it and replacing the water like I used to. Don't know why, but the coons, also seem to stay out of the water when there is a lot of algae in the water. I used to get irritated with them, wading around in the water, after I cleaned out the trough. They would muddy up the water and leave coon prints all over the bottom. I have noticed, with the algae in the water trough, I have not seen any coon tracks in the bottom of the trough, in a good while, or muddied up water, not sure why.

I took the camera down that used to face the trough, so I don't know exactly what has been going on with the coons. Used to, I did not even need to check the camera, I could just look at the trough and see it was muddy and had coon tracks all over the bottom. I have not seen any coon tracks in it, in a while.

The deer and the foxes were very consistent on the not using the water trough for three days, after I would refill it. The coons, would sometimes not use the water trough for a couple of days, but you could count on them being the first ones to use the trough, after I cleaned it and or refilled it. Those pains, in the butt, seem to love nice clean water.

Comment

I'm sorry, at first I thought this was a sarcastic post.

I don't understand why anyone would be worried about algae in a water trough, I know to some it doesn't look pleasant but its not bad. These animals drink from mud puddles, so I'm sure they aren't too boujee.

If there is ever an algae to be worried about it's yellow and black algae, those will cause issues, green actually is good.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
            Aquashade is most effective for water deeper than 2’ deep. Looks like it did it’s job there!

Doesn’t do anything for shoreline grass
            That tank, is 17ft in the center...............
            For the shore line, and Cat Tails.................
            I use Shore Clear, and a pump sprayer...........

Comment

Doesn't effect the fish either...........
              I've had deer come up the back side, while I was fishing.......
              Take a drink, look at me.....snort, and walk off........
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	24649312

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                [ATTACH]1046712[/ATTACH]
                That’s awesome. Should make for some cool pictures of my setup at my pen.

Comment

[ATTACH]1046712[/ATTACH]

Good looking water.... Almost looks like an aquarium

Comment

This tank, was treated with Aqua Shade......
                    How large is that tank?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Good looking water.... Almost looks like an aquarium
                      Thanks.... It took awhile to do... But it's fully organic....
                      It does cloud up a bit, when you swim in it...

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                      How large is that tank?
                      About 1/2 to 3/4 acre..... or there abouts.........

Comment

I have used copper ground wire from old light poles about 15 feet wadded up in a 60gal
                        water tub kept it clean

Comment

Like others have said, there is no reason to be concerned about a little algae for deer drinking the water.
                          I had quite a bit in my stock tank (used for cows/donkeys) and I didn't like the look of it. In fact, it was thick on the top of the water.
                          So, I bought 29 goldfish at Academy (why 29? Because I had a $10 bill and with tax, it worked out to 29.) That was summer of 2018. There are still lots of goldfish in the tank (some 6", some very little - indicating new generations). They even survived 5" thick ice during Snowmageddon.
                          They definitely keep the algae down, and require no maintenance.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X