No announcement yet.

The official 2021 APR TBH special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert, I'm looking at the folder and was considering 6.5CM (The last two years builds I did 6.5PRC and 223) as an all around truck gun. I will be running the rifle suppressed 100% of the time (Thunderbeast Ultra 7) and saw that Proof offers a 16.5" barrel in a 1:8 and 1:7.5 twist. Is that barrel going to be too short and which twist rate for the 143 gr Hornady ELD-X factory ammo? Thanks!

Comment

My goal is to have a lightweight backcountry rifle but I will be limited to factory ammo for the foreseeable future. I'm undecided between the 300wm and 7mm mag. I recall what you were saying about the nodes on 300wm being very small with the carbon fiber barrel and having difficulty finding factory ammo that it will like; would this be the case for the 7mag as well?

Would you advise one over the other, and what barrel length would be recommended for each? Would your opinion change if the rifle is/isn't suppressed?

Thanks in advance, so excited these should be ready by hunting season!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
        My goal is to have a lightweight backcountry rifle but I will be limited to factory ammo for the foreseeable future. I'm undecided between the 300wm and 7mm mag. I recall what you were saying about the nodes on 300wm being very small with the carbon fiber barrel and having difficulty finding factory ammo that it will like; would this be the case for the 7mag as well?
        300wsm is yet another option you might like.

Robert for option 1 any reason to NOT go with a 300wsm?
        I'm thinking 20" barrel to shoot 100% suppressed 150gr accubonds.

Comment

That's close to what I'm planning.

A 7mm SAUM in a 20 inch barrel with a TB Ultra 7 out front. Should give enough velocity with VLD's to be effective to 600 plus yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
            That's close to what I'm planning.

A 7mm SAUM in a 20 inch barrel with a TB Ultra 7 out front. Should give enough velocity with VLD's to be effective to 600 plus yards.
            I like your taste, but went with 24" 7mag on the 2019 build.
            That's why I want similar velocities, but in a larger diameter bullet and shorter barrel. Will also only be shot with an Ultra 7 on it....that can makes anything you're shooting so much nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
              Robert, I'm looking at the folder and was considering 6.5CM (The last two years builds I did 6.5PRC and 223) as an all around truck gun. I will be running the rifle suppressed 100% of the time (Thunderbeast Ultra 7) and saw that Proof offers a 16.5" barrel in a 1:8 and 1:7.5 twist. Is that barrel going to be too short and which twist rate for the 143 gr Hornady ELD-X factory ammo? Thanks!
              I suspect you just laid out the blue print for about 80% of what folks are going to build on that option. Running full time suppressed, it's hard to argue the 16" option. It is going to take a pretty good hit on velocity, but not to the point that it becomes not worth it. The 308, 7-08 and 6.5CM(in that order) are all pretty efficient, and probably the best candidates for the 16" builds. Either twist will work fine. I'll always take the BC bump from the tighter twist given the choice.

Comment

Robert
                what do you think about building a #1 in 243 1:10 twist do you think this rifle would be picky about ammo/ bullets, like factory ammo ?

you built my ranger build and I absolutely love it , but I would like to have a light weight rifle in 243 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                  Absolutely! That would be one of the best pairings for this rig in my mind. Great ballistics, manageable recoil without a brake in a light rifle and an extra round in the mag compared to an H&H based case. Hard to not like that choice.
                  Was half hoping you’d say No so I could save my money. Now to go down the rabbit hole of colors and design
                  Last edited by hooligan; 02-22-2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post

Would you advise one over the other, and what barrel length would be recommended for each? Would your opinion change if the rifle is/isn't suppressed?

Thanks in advance, so excited these should be ready by hunting season!
                    Don't be too put off with the 300WM, as there are enough factory options out there you will be able to find something that works no matter how picky the barrel may be. Barrel length is really what ever you can live with, since its all a series of trade-offs. Knowing it's a hunting rig, it's probably not going to get shot at anything approaching high volume. I'd set it up for the way you plan on using it the most.

Personally, If I'm shooting a 300WM its probably because I'm wanting to push 200ish+ grain bullets somewhere close to 3K fps. Just the fact that I would choose that combo probably means I'm expecting longer shots in open country, so I'd stick with a 24"-26" barrel and forget about dealing with the extra weight and mass of a can.

Shooting lighter weight bullets at closer distances would probably push me back the other direction to running a 20" barrel suppressed. I like shooting suppressed guns, but I'm not willing to give up a ton of performance to do it in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by H-D View Post
                      300wsm is yet another option you might like.

Robert for option 1 any reason to NOT go with a 300wsm?
                      I'm thinking 20" barrel to shoot 100% suppressed 150gr accubonds.
                      The only potential downside is trying to get that fat @#@ case to feed smoothly But that's on me, not ya'll. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by JONES45LC View Post
                        Robert
                        what do you think about building a #1 in 243 1:10 twist do you think this rifle would be picky about ammo/ bullets, like factory ammo ?

you built my ranger build and I absolutely love it , but I would like to have a light weight rifle in 243 as well.
                        I think you'd be just fine. No downside to 1-9 either.

Comment

If I were to go with a 300 PRC, option 1, how would you recommend it be spec'd out? I don't know enough about custom guns to know what the optimum barrel length, twist rate, etc should be.

I've considered the 300WM or 30 Nosler as well, but the 300 PRC has my attention the most. Also, plan to only use factory ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                            The only potential downside is trying to get that fat @#@ case to feed smoothly But that's on me, not ya'll. Haha
                            Robert your probably sick of these questions, but thank you for your time and what a great deal. What’s your opinion of the 33 Nosler 24” barrel in the light rig. It’ll need a brake, but wanting something for grizzly and brown bear. I don’t know much about the cartridge, maybe a 300wm would be a better option. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by mev002 View Post
                              If I were to go with a 300 PRC, option 1, how would you recommend it be spec'd out? I don't know enough about custom guns to know what the optimum barrel length, twist rate, etc should be.

I've considered the 300WM or 30 Nosler as well, but the 300 PRC has my attention the most. Also, plan to only use factory ammo.

24", good brake and 1-9 twist will cover all of your bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-billwjs View Post
                                Robert your probably sick of these questions, but thank you for your time and what a great deal. What’s your opinion of the 33 Nosler 24” barrel in the light rig. It’ll need a brake, but wanting something for grizzly and brown bear. I don’t know much about the cartridge, maybe a 300wm would be a better option. Thanks again
                                I don't know a ton about the 33Nos yet, but it seems to be the perfect fit for what you described. One of our guys is building one for his upcoming grizzly hunt this year. I haven't spent enough time behind one to have a valid opinion, but I like what we have seen so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X