Bow hunting natural ground blinds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow hunting natural ground blinds?

I'm a treestand guy when it comes to bow hunting and all of my set ups are geared that way. With that said, I would like to bow hunt at the back of my property this weekend where I live but don't have a stand back there. I'm not going out of town to hunt this weekend and I am currently using all of my treestands on other properties, don't own a ground blind, and really don't want to buy anything right now. Anyone ever had any success at building a natural ground blind and killing an animal from it with a bow. The woods are fairly thick around the small pocket where I have my feeder on the edge of a draw. I would much rather be 15' plus up in a tree but that's not an option for this weekend. I'm thinking about going out there around lunch and seeing what I can construct.

I hunt out of natural ground blinds a lot. The more work you put into building one for concealment, the better (obviously). Use dead limbs to stack up around the edges, and then cover them up with whatever brush you have available. Use paracord or something similar to span openings, and then hang brush off of that. Use a piece or two of camo mesh material behind some brush to help conceal your movement.

Comment

Closest I've ever gotten to deer while bowhunting is in a natural blind. The key is taking time and doing it right.

Comment

If you have any cedars in there, I have had luck cutting a few limbs out and setting up a chair tucked back in there. Put the cut limbs in front of you on the ground and you are good to go. If no cedars, I'd look for a natural downed tree or something I could get behind. You go making something brand new, they will likely notice it.

Comment

I have one cut into a clump of yupons for natural blind. Burlap zipped to branchs
          [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Funny you post that. I just built a ground blind 2 days ago for recurve. First time in 30 years, felt like a kid again. Just 11 yards to trail through trees below. South wind only.
            Attached Files

Comment

yep, I do. I hunt under a big oak tree with lots of little brush around it. I really only had to cut a couple small limbs. shot a sow out of it my first sit, missed a doe second sit and had a nice 10pt that was too narrow at about 18yds or so. I think the less you have to cut the better...doesn't change the landscape that they are used to. I have also read on a thread I started about the same topic where one dude would sit in a cedar and zip tie limbs out of way for shooting lane/lanes, that way they didn't die.

good luck and post up ldp's!!

Comment

Yes. All the time. Find a trail or pinch and figure out the wind for tomorrow. makes sure it will blow away from the trail then just build you put a little fort out of big stuff. Then turn the whole thing into a bush with smaller brush type limbs. Leave yourself some shooting lanes and hunt away. I know East Texas doesn't have the cedar trees like we do in Central Texas but with old cedar stumps and fresh cedar limbs, we have created some pretty awesome ones over the years. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                  Closest I've ever gotten to deer while bowhunting is in a natural blind. The key is taking time and doing it right.
                  x2 on both accounts

I like to find a real bushy cedar, or several of them clumped up, and make my way into the base of them and cut out a 1-2 shooting windows and a spot to sit. Sitting on a milk crate has always seemed to be my go to.

Edit: just saw HoustonHunter’s post- same idea here.

Comment

I've done it alot with great success. As a matter of fact I'd rather hunt a natural ground blind than anything else. Tie brush tops together, span openings with wire or rope, and brush the heck out of it. Cut small holes and you'll be golden. In my experience make sure to get cover over your head to keep the sunlight out. Good luck!

Comment

Taking time to build a proper ground blind is ideal, but I've had success hunting whitetail and hogs by simply concealing myself in the existing brush. Breaking up your outline and limiting your movement are the biggest keys. I shot this buck by backing a ways back in the brush/shadows and popping up a chair within a clump of trees.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUZAJohibvE"]Bowhunting Therapy After a Tough Week - The "Moseley Breeder Buck" - YouTube[/ame]
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. I just spent an hour and a half building a blind along the little creek at the back of my property. It was a lot of fun building it. I had a lot of switch cane grass growing along the creek so I used mostly that, yaupon, pine, and random dead fall. It looks pretty dang good. I'm gona run to town in a bit and see if I can find some of that camo burlap to put a long the inside and I think I'll be set. I'm set up on a natural funnel perfect for tomorrow's wind. We'll see what happens...

Comment

Yes, and I used the camo netting or burlap behind me to keep my outline from showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Taking time to build a proper ground blind is ideal, but I've had success hunting whitetail and hogs by simply concealing myself in the existing brush. Breaking up your outline and limiting your movement are the biggest keys. I shot this buck by backing a ways back in the brush/shadows and popping up a chair within a clump of trees.

Bowhunting Therapy After a Tough Week - The "Moseley Breeder Buck" - YouTube
                            Very cool video.

Comment

My wife is a wedding designer and I ended up with a bunch of takedown greenery after a wedding [emoji848]
                              Put it to good use on a mesquite flat that doesn’t have a lot of big trees on it. Practiced drawing on turkeys with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X