Shooting left: Moving left arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting left: Moving left arm

If I get a clean release then I'm dead on out to 20 yards. But I do two things occasionally:
    - Torque as I "grab" the bow at release
    - Push my left arm left at release.

I'm getting better at avoiding the hand torque. Improving grip mostly and being consistent about it.

But I don't know how to stop moving my left arm. I've tried closing my stance. I've tried opening it. I get good back tension, I think. But about 1/2 my shot go left about 6 inches at 20 yards. Mostly on arm movement. I can feel it when I do it. How do I fix it?

Over bowed maybe?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

47#. I can hold it 10+ seconds without shaking and realty even straining. I also shoot a 57# which borders on too much bow.

Good thought though.

Comment

I know I struggle with that when tired after a long day. Struggling with maintaining back tension.

Comment

Best thing for bow arm stability is blind bale in my experience. Stand three yards from the target and close your eyes at the shot. Some guys do this thousands of times a week. I find that doing it on a day that I’m shooting bad helps. You will be surprised how clean your shots are with your eyes closed. It really removes all distractions. For some reason that clean shot sticks with you in regular practice afterwards.

Comment

When that happens for me, it is usually an alignment issue. Or, at least focusing on alignment is what fixes the problem. I can tell what is going on because my arm moves to the left on release and I know that it isn't me moving it. The other cause is not getting my string hand tight enough to the face. I have to think through the shot that just took place. If my arm didn't jump on release, then I focus on my anchor point.

Comment

First, I can't believe someone asked a bow question, on this of all sites...

I agree with the blind baling. I had target panic a few years back, and that is one of the things I did in order to overcome it.

What release are you using? Your arm movement is in anticipation of release. Switch to a good back tension release, and you can trick your brain into not anticipating the shot. With your involuntary brain activity sidelined, your arm movement will go away.

It's good to see an archery question every once and while!

Comment

Film yourself in slow motion....this will show you small things you can’t feel or notice otherwise. With a trad bow you are either pulling or collapsing. I hold longer than most so after a lot of shooting I have a tendency to start collapsing and my shots start moving left. I can see it very well on a slow motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like you're anticipating the release and moving your bow arm. Try pushing with your bow arm and focus on following through on the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

I agree with the blind baling. I had target panic a few years back, and that is one of the things I did in order to overcome it.

What release are you using? Your arm movement is in anticipation of release. Switch to a good back tension release, and you can trick your brain into not anticipating the shot. With your involuntary brain activity sidelined, your arm movement will go away.

Well if you would frequent the trad section you'd see all archery related threads.
                    Which also leads me to believe the release he's using is his fingers. Could be wrong though.

Comment

I have had the same issue and recently figured out that 90% of my left misses were due to over coiling my shoulders. This causes my front shoulder to cave in, thus changing the direction of force in my bow arm at release to a more leftward direction.

To illustrate, put your left hand palm on a wall in a "shooting" position. While keeping everything else in the same position, move your shoulder in and out parallel to the wall. As you move your shoulder, the direction of force changes which will alter the path of the arrow at release.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        Well if you would frequent the trad section you'd see all archery related threads.
                        Which also leads me to believe the release he's using is his fingers. Could be wrong though.

I totally missed the forum, LOL. My bad.

Comment

Try adjusting your grip. Instead of wrapping all four fingers around the grip, only place your thumb and index finger around the grip. Tuck the remaining 3 fingers on the outside of the grip as if trying to make a partial fist. This will cause your arm to stick out a little further than usual away from the sting and it will stop you from being able to torque the bow.

Hope this helps, God Bless.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                            Best thing for bow arm stability is blind bale in my experience. Stand three yards from the target and close your eyes at the shot. Some guys do this thousands of times a week. I find that doing it on a day that I’m shooting bad helps. You will be surprised how clean your shots are with your eyes closed. It really removes all distractions. For some reason that clean shot sticks with you in regular practice afterwards.
                            May be similar to "looking at your golf shot" instead of finishing the follow through. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

Recurve bow shooting fingers with a glove.

Comment

Working...
                              X