Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum ILF recurves, Talk some sense into me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum ILF recurves, Talk some sense into me.

I made the mistake of shooting a Satori a while back and it has haunted me ever since. I really like the feel of the more slender grip and overall feel compared to wooden risers. I am also on a budget at least a cash in hand budget. The issue I am having is the amount of 17-19" risers out there. Tons of Chinese stuff with prices all over the place. I am looking at risers and limbs for the build myself route. I have also been looking at the Samick Discovery and the Win and Win Black Elk. Both of these bows are hard to find in stock with the foam limbs. I have found a few Samicks with wood core limbs (50#) but It looks like they require some work to build up a strike plate for shelf shooting.

Is it possible to build up a bow for $400? And can any of y'all steer me in the right direction? Or should I just eat a little CC debt and get a Satori?

Thanks!

EXE risers are well made. I have a 25" blizzard and it is a great riser for the price.
    Mark

Comment

I feel you on the stocking issues. I am waiting to pull the trigger on the W&W Black Wolf. Lancaster says they hope to have more in in 3-weeks.

Comment

If you are just starting out as a new recurve shooter, I would recommend finding a less expensive set up than the Satori. You won't be out as much money if you find out you don't like it. The only problem is being able to try the bow out before purchasing, there are not a lot of brick and mortars that stock trad equipment. You won't know if you like a bow until you've shot it.

The aluminum riser shelf can be built up and out in numerous ways. Google, "building up a riser shelf", for some ideas.

An OMP Night Ridge can be had for less than $400. I shot one for a year, with a built up shelf. I had no complaints with the bow, I just didn't like the side plate build out, and decided to go with a wood riser, cut closer to center.

Don't let me talk you out of the Satori, if that's the bow you want.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I have been shooting a Sarrels Ridgecat for a while. I did call Lancaster yesterday about back order times on the Win & Win and they couldn't get me a good timeline. Amazon has risers listed but they are all over the place price wise and there is little info on them to be found online.

Comment

^^^^^^I'm shooting a Ridgecat as well and prefer it over the OMP.^^^^^^

Comment

I just found The OMP Night Ridge in 50# for $279.00 from Bowhunting Outlet. Seemed to good to pass up for the price and the favorable reviews I found online. Thanks for the suggestion TXRebel.

Comment

^^^^^Your Welcome! Hope you like it and I didn't guide you wrong.^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by TXRebel View Post
                  ^^^^^Your Welcome! Hope you like it and I didn't guide you wrong.^^^^^^^
                  At that price the riser should do what I'm looking for. Limbs seem to make all difference so I can play around from there.

Thanks again,

Comment

I have a couple of Buffalo risers that I rigged out with carbon foam limbs on the cheap. Less than $400 in both of them. I found the limbs in the FITA classifieds on Archerytalk.com. Like new for $150 to $175. I still want to find an ILF riser so I can spend some more of my money on ILF limbs that come up at bargain prices. I've had the Satori already and did not really care for it. I'm looking hard at the Samick Discovery and just yesterday saw the Farmington Atlas 19" riser at 3Rivers Archery. The Atlas also has an option for the brass weight, if you think that it is necessary. I actually prefer the look of the Atlas over the Discovery.

Comment

I have a pair of Win&Win Trad tech limbs I’m not shooting. 50# shorts. $100 These are the lower end wood limbs.

I also have a pair of foam carbon I’m not shooting. 55# shorts. $400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Bow should be here on Wednesday. 19 inch riser with medium limbs. 60 AMO, which I'm assuming will make it stack up quick. Looking forward to playing around with all the different options available with these kinds of set ups. I'll probably work on getting up to a 62-64 inch length soon.

Comment

Good luck on the setup Stoof.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                            Bow should be here on Wednesday. 19 inch riser with medium limbs. 60 AMO, which I'm assuming will make it stack up quick. Looking forward to playing around with all the different options available with these kinds of set ups. I'll probably work on getting up to a 62-64 inch length soon.
                            My chart says 62".

Enjoy. I got a inexpensive 66" target type bow a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                              My chart says 62".

Enjoy. I got a inexpensive 66" target type bow a couple of weeks ago.

I’m still confused. Still a wheel bow guy. But I feel the dark side creeping in.

Comment

Working...
                              X