Bow making class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow making class

Looking at possibly taking a primitive bow making class. Been interested in it for over 20 years and life has always gotten in the way. Had a weekend class scheduled for next month but unfortunately we lost my friend Jim Hamm. It won’t be the same but I think I would still like to make a bow of my own. Anyone still offers these type of classes?

You should contact Arvin Weaver. He builds AW self bows. I know he has worked with folks building selfbows in the past.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks Bisch. Will do.

Comment

Find a class and go for it. I wanted to learn to build a skiff, canoe, kayak or some kind of wooden boat all my life. I finally took a class and built my own English dory canoe hybrid. I have since built four boats and finally got it out of my system but it was well worth it and finally learning the skill. JMHO

Comment

That’s awesome Wilded.

Comment

Saw an event in Oklahoma every year that might be a possibility if I can’t find anything closer.

Comment

There are a lot of bow building videos on YouTube you can watch.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVCMsbF_OD0"]DIY High-Performance Board Longbow Build - YouTube[/ame]
              This guy has quite a few with pdf downloads for free
              Last edited by wilded; 03-20-2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Pine hollows still does classes in Arkansas, I have not been yet yet but used his videos to make my own. Only self bows from oak and osage, eventually I'll do a laminated and recurve.

Comment

Originally posted by gmj View Post
                  Saw an event in Oklahoma every year that might be a possibility if I can’t find anything closer.

That would be OJAM? I’ve never been, but heard nothing but good about that whole experience!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Gunome View Post
                    Pine hollows still does classes in Arkansas, I have not been yet yet but used his videos to make my own. Only self bows from oak and osage, eventually I'll do a laminated and recurve.

This would be a great resource for building selfbows. Mike builds really nice ones.

Bisch

Comment

Good question gmj, I’m interested too and following this.

Comment

I learned most all I know from videos and forums like primitive archer. The best thing about that is it’s free!

Comment

OJAM is definitely worth going to.

Comment

Odessa

Not sure how far you want to travel but I have a buddy here in Odessa who does classes (same one from my Javelina skin thread in the DIY section). Text me if you want his number. 432-967-5002

Comment

Ojam is postponed for now. Pine Hollow would be the best bet I know of right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X