New bow and new issues. Kodiak takedown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bow and new issues. Kodiak takedown

So I’ve been shooting my traditional gear daily since March of 2020. Got 2 deer in 2020 with my #45 samick sage and now I’ve been shooting my #50 Bear Kodiak Magnum with real good accuracy and results. I’m using 29” Gold Tip 500s with 145 field points with either bow and they shoot great. RH shooter, 27.5” draw here. I shot my friends Sarrels Blueridge #47 longbow and I shot it great, hit exactly where I aimed. I shoot a fixed crawl and (aim).

So recently I decided to buy a #50 grizzly, thinking it would be more forgiving and easier to shoot than my KM. I couldn’t hit crap with that bow.....18” low and left consistently no matter what I did or tried. So I sold it.

In December I bought an Kodiak takedown A riser and finally got my #47 #3 anniversary limbs in today and guess what. Bow smooth as butter and I love it but it also shoots about 18” low and left at 20 yards too....I’m confused and at a loss here. I’m about ready to sell it off and just buy a Sarrels Blueridge. What gives here. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I’d post some pictures but I don’t know how to upload them on this site. Lol

Bear Bows don't shoot for me either.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Try lowering your nock point.

Comment

Already did, started porpusing bad. Got em flying straight but low left. Bad day to be experimenting with a new bow, North wind blowing to the left didn’t help any.

Comment

That might be the wind age issue but 18" low is a lot.
          I had a pass around bow a while back that away. When I tried to compensate I would hit right where I was aiming. It screwed me up bad even going back to my Primaltech. I was suppose to keep it a month. It was gone in two weeks.
          A bow that won't shoot for me, and do it relatively quiet, doesn't live with me long.

Comment

I’m the same way. I owned that grizzly for 3 days and sold it. I’ll shoot this takedown a few weeks and if I can’t dance with her she’s gone. Funny thing is some bows just fit right from the start like my buddy’s longbow. Love the takedown and it’s super smooth and dead in the hand. Hopefully I’ll get her figured out after this cold snap. I was hoping she would perform (point and shoot) like my 75.00 sage or used Kodiak Magnum.

Comment

you need to make sure your arrow spine is correct for your draw length and bow weight, you just can't use any arrow with just any bow. if the arrow spine is too stiff you will not get the desired results your looking for same if spine is too weak. I own about a dozen Bear bows and they are all shooters, couple takedowns and a couple long bows. Don't give up so easily.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack1975 View Post
                I’m the same way. I owned that grizzly for 3 days and sold it. I’ll shoot this takedown a few weeks and if I can’t dance with her she’s gone. Funny thing is some bows just fit right from the start like my buddy’s longbow. Love the takedown and it’s super smooth and dead in the hand. Hopefully I’ll get her figured out after this cold snap. I was hoping she would perform (point and shoot) like my 75.00 sage or used Kodiak Magnum.
                That's why I love the Primal Tech bows I have. Love at first arrows.

Comment

I’m gonna try some bare shaft tuning and other tricks tomorrow, hopefully the weather will cooperate. Lol. Good info all around. I’m not ready to give up, but I am making excuses so the wife will understand my need for a custom bow too.

Comment

So rather than throwing bananas at the wall and seeing if anything sticks, let's talk about specs. Rh or Lh, your draw length, spine of arrow, tip weight, insert weight, arrow length, type of rest, thickness of strike plate, tiller measurement of the bow, height of nock point, brace height, arrow nock fit, string material. I probably forgot something, but that will get us started.

Comment

http://https://i.imgur.com/SIJYaH3.jpg

First attempt at posting pictures so please bear with me. Think I’m getting the Kodiak takedown figured out. More tuning and shooting required. Still shooting in a 8-12 mph N cross wind (blowing left). Not shooting 18” low and left anyone. These pics were from yesterday and just now. I’ve adjusted the brace height, installed different string silencers, replaced the strike plate with a thinner model, and now need to bare shaft, play with point weight and arrow length.

Shooting real smooth, just need to iron out some details. I’m hoping the GT 500s aren’t too heavily spines for this 47# bow. Plan is to get a set of 50# #1 anniversary limbs for general shooting and
                      hunting. 20 yd groups, best groups of the days shooting here.
                      Last edited by BillyJack1975; 02-25-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I would guess arrow spine is too stiff.
                        That bow looks like it's screaming for some tapered doug fir arrows to shoot out of it.

Nice bow and good luck !

Comment

Something else to consider... Grip change between the two bows may account for a lot of the vertical variation. I know that I can see over a foot of difference in my gaps between a low grip and medium/high grip if the tune is decent.

In fact, I just sold a bow that I love because it wouldn't play nice with the gaps I get on my main target bow. A fellow forum member still says I'm crazy, but I didn't want to be adjusting my sight picture by more than a foot for one bow.

Comment

I got her figured out. Besides being fairly new in trad archery, I just needed time to bond. I stopped shooting my 50# Kodiak magnum and have been shooting my Kodiak takedown twice a fail, about 8 arrows in the morning and around 20 in the evening. 15-25 yds. These shots were the first 2 in the morning and first 2 in the evening after work. Form and confidence and taking my time... I’m loving it.
                            Last edited by BillyJack1975; 02-25-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

https://i.imgur.com/owLuQ2a.png

Last edited by BillyJack1975; 02-25-2021, 09:58 PM. Reason: Pics not working

Comment

Working...
                              X