Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The how and why to my form (Beginners Guide Volume IV)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to watch him shoot, watch any good compound shooter, it is pretty much the same.

A thing i have learned from watching just about every shooting video out there is one thing is always the same, no matter how you shoot you have to do the same thing from shot to shot. consistency is key!!!!! You can do the wrong thing but if you do the same thing wrong every time your brain will compensate and you can get better.

I know the only thing that separates the really good shooters from the ok one's are how they approach the target, the mental game. Most of the really good shooters always seem tense, serious and focused on the course. when Chris is shooting his best he is not joking he is serious. That is the way you have to go into a tournament, serious, focused.

Thats why we have the chunky & buff handicap anyone with them can't shoot straight because the have tears running down your face from the laughing. They don't lend to great scores but they are fun to be around!!!!!

good write up chris

Comment

Naw - I find Chunky too serious... JK - I go out of my way to make him laugh and lose his concentration only way to keep his scores low enough to make me look better.

Comment

Hey, I resemble those remarks.

I couldn't be any better if I was serious, so I might as well have as much fun as I can. I don't make anyone shoot with me, but I sure am not going to change either.

I really do love shooting with Chris, even though I give him non stop grief, I really like the guy. In fact, I really like shooting with all the guys on here. I can not think of one trad guy that is not a pleasure to be around. Sorry bout your scores....I do get a little more serious when I am in a stand.

Comment

i didn't mean that in a bad way chunky, i am not good enought to win top 3 so i don't worry about how well i winning, i ask to shoot with you'll evertime i see you. but as a general rule i shoot alittle better when i am worried about score and not trying to get the funny story out of my head

Comment

Nice. Great info, Chris.

This should be "sticky" with the other stuff for new trad shooters.

Comment

For me 3 D is for fun. Chris has not shot with me in years.

I'm like Chunky when the critter is standing out there is when the seriousness sets in. Funny, target panic is never a problem at that point.

Comment

Good write up. I found with the left-eye dominant problem, I close my left eye as I draw (I've already estimate the distance to the target with both eyes), and anchor 3-under with the nock rigth under my nose- right nostril. There's a bone behind there (the root from a front tooth?) that my finger pushes against on my face. That puts my right eye directly above the arrow, for aiming left/right. A higher anchor will also lower your 'point on' for gap shooting. I shoot off the shelf, and it's 30 yards. I cheated (gasp) and put an orange dot on my riser for my 'point on' at 20 yards.

Give it a try. I'm in awe of guys who just pull it back and let the arrows fly instinctively, one guy in my club's been shooting forever, and Mike releases the arrow about 3 inches before his hand gets to his face- and he can group 'em like a champion at 20 and 30 yards. 30+ years of shooting will do that for you.

Comment

bm22,

I didn't take it the wrong way, in fact I like that you mentioned me. I have skin as thick as an alligator, and I doubt you could upset me if you tried. I am all about joking around and cutting up....that was your point.

You are right though, most people have to focus hard and concentrate to do their very best. I have the ability to focus really quickly and to do several things at the same time. Perhaps it comes from the air traffic control thing. I may have a little advantage at that...it helps in golf as well.

Comment

From what I have heard air traffic controlers jobs are pretty high stress.

Probably a good thing that you get out and joke and releave the tension.

Comment

Ol Man' has helped me a TON and mentioned this original post to me and with me being a total newby I can honestly tell you I "think" learned a lot.

I just need to work on trying to adapt the knowledge that all of you offer into helping make me better!

Thank's Chris and to ALL on this site for all the helpfull information and tips!! Keep them coming.......

Bill

Comment

great read Chris! There are a lot of great tips in there!

While I'm nowhere in your class, I think the key to success is consistency. While either shooting bows, rifles, or golf, I try and use the same routine EVERYTIME. As you stated, one thing is out of norm and the shot will be off.

This is by far one of the most informative post ever, except for a few of the Aggie grammar mistakes!

Comment

Awesome information. Joey thought this would be a great thread to sticky in the Traditional forum for beginers. Agreed!
                          Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

This is great info. I am new to trad and love it, been lurking in the bushes trying to learn. Started shooting about a year ago. The "AIMING" part answered my question. It told me that I am left eye dominant shooting rt handed. I was wondering why I had to have the point below the flank to hit the vitals at 20 yrds and my arrow point is always to the right and below my target.
                            This is a good writing, thank you.

Comment

Thanks man I have found this very helpful.

Comment

Great read!!!! Very helpful for us beginners!!! Explains a lot of questions that were running through my mind...

Comment

Working...
                                X