Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got caught up in shooting and forgot to take pictures, but I have one of a two shot group.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388981920895.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	24277011there WAS a whiffle golf ball there

Comment

Good luck with her, Brent!

Bisch

Comment

My name is Bob Sarrels. I think most of you guys know me but Mark asked me to post a little bio so here goes.

I was born on Oct 25th, 1949 in Abilene , Tx to Joe and Patsy Sarrels. I am the 3rd of 7children and grew up mostly in Abilene, awhile in McAllen and awhile in Corpus Christi.

My dad was an avid fisherman and dove hunter and occasionally hunted deer at my granddads lease in Mission, Tx. Always gun and never archery. I shot a little bow some as a kid but was never really involved in it.

I joined the army in 1967 and spent my last year in Vietnam and when I came back I no longer had a desire to hunt anything after that year long hunt.

I met and married the love of my life Linda and 1975 and we have 3 kids, Kamden, Kayci and Zachary.

In the early part of the 80s a friend of mine took me deer hunting and I shot a deer with a rifle. Then shot a couple of more but my hunting addiction didn't really start until I began shooting a wheel bow. I shot those for a couple of years and bought a cheap old Javalina recurve that was 40 lbs. Got a used Palmer a little later and the hook was set. Went thru a few used bows and in 1997 decided I wanted to try my hand at building a bow. Having been in the custom furniture business most of my life I had some tools and a bit of woodworking skills. I ordered the stuff I needed from Bingham and started working on my longbow design. I had a buddy that had made a couple of longbows and he kinda crippled me thu the job. When I had my first one done he said it looked and shot so much better than either of the 2 bows he made he wasn't gonna make any more. He would buy one from me.

That was the middle of 1997 and so was born the Sierra.

I built a few bows a year for the next couple of years then more and more as the years went by. This was all in my garage and it got a little tight space wise as I acquired more and more tools to make the job easier.

Seven years ago I knew I needed more room but the house we owned in south Austin was on a small lot and could not erect a building on that property. We started shopping for a bigger lot and ended up buying a house on 3/4 of an acre a little further south and I built my shop.

Bow business started getting better and better so about 6 years ago I got completely out of the furniture business and dedicated all my time to making bows.

After starting with the Sierra I kept designing new bows and we now offer 13 different models. All our longbows are named after mountain ranges (the original name of the business was Mountain Longbows) and all our recurves are named after cats.

My son graduated from Texas State University in 2006 with the plan to be a teacher. He wanted an adventure before going into the work world so signed up for a stint with SAGA, which is sort of like Americore, and went off to live in a tent in Alaska for 7 months. He returned to Texas, worked for awhile at his old job and went back to Alaska for a few more months.

After getting back he worked at his old job and did a little substitute teaching and started to wonder if he wanted to teach or not. On day he was hanging around my bow shop and I ask if he would like to train to become a bowyer. He said, you know I have been around this stuff for a long time and it never even crossed my mind.

He came and apprenticed under me for a couple of days a week, then a little more and a little more until he came on board full time around 3 years ago. He has become a fine bowyer himself and will carry the business on when I get too tired to.

My daughter Kamden has 3 kids, Ty, Nathan and Catie, Kayci has 2 boys, Alex and Ian Archer and Zach just got married in November and they are planning on kids too.

We have to make a lot of kids bows.

A couple of years ago Mark, aka Chunky approached me about the possibilities of building a pass around bow and we thought it was a good idea. We built Sacagawea and got her on her way out to everyone. It has been a hoot to follow her travels and hear about all the folks that have had a chance with her. We a really proud to have been a part of this thing and are looking forward to following her travels in the coming months and years. Shoot em down the middle and good hunting.

As a good friend likes to say Longbows and Short Shots. Bob and Zach Sarrels

Comment

Great read Bob. You sound like a remarkable man. Thank you for your service in the military.

Comment

Thanks Bob, that was perfect

Comment

Great bio, now I have to follow that?!

Comment

Nice Bob!

I know who that "good friend" is! Jeff is an OK guy, for sure.

Bisch

Comment

Great bio Bob!

Comment

Great read Bob!!! Best of luck to you Brent. I know I for one am ready to see saca next to a dead critter.

Comment

Originally posted by bob sarrels View Post
                      My name is Bob Sarrels. I think most of you guys know me but Mark asked me to post a little bio so here goes.

I was born on Oct 25th, 1949 in Abilene , Tx to Joe and Patsy Sarrels. I am the 3rd of 7children and grew up mostly in Abilene, awhile in McAllen and awhile in Corpus Christi.

My dad was an avid fisherman and dove hunter and occasionally hunted deer at my granddads lease in Mission, Tx. Always gun and never archery. I shot a little bow some as a kid but was never really involved in it.

I joined the army in 1967 and spent my last year in Vietnam and when I came back I no longer had a desire to hunt anything after that year long hunt.

I met and married the love of my life Linda and 1975 and we have 3 kids, Kamden, Kayci and Zachary.

In the early part of the 80s a friend of mine took me deer hunting and I shot a deer with a rifle. Then shot a couple of more but my hunting addiction didn't really start until I began shooting a wheel bow. I shot those for a couple of years and bought a cheap old Javalina recurve that was 40 lbs. Got a used Palmer a little later and the hook was set. Went thru a few used bows and in 1997 decided I wanted to try my hand at building a bow. Having been in the custom furniture business most of my life I had some tools and a bit of woodworking skills. I ordered the stuff I needed from Bingham and started working on my longbow design. I had a buddy that had made a couple of longbows and he kinda crippled me thu the job. When I had my first one done he said it looked and shot so much better than either of the 2 bows he made he wasn't gonna make any more. He would buy one from me.

That was the middle of 1997 and so was born the Sierra.

I built a few bows a year for the next couple of years then more and more as the years went by. This was all in my garage and it got a little tight space wise as I acquired more and more tools to make the job easier.

Seven years ago I knew I needed more room but the house we owned in south Austin was on a small lot and could not erect a building on that property. We started shopping for a bigger lot and ended up buying a house on 3/4 of an acre a little further south and I built my shop.

Bow business started getting better and better so about 6 years ago I got completely out of the furniture business and dedicated all my time to making bows.

After starting with the Sierra I kept designing new bows and we now offer 13 different models. All our longbows are named after mountain ranges (the original name of the business was Mountain Longbows) and all our recurves are named after cats.

My son graduated from Texas State University in 2006 with the plan to be a teacher. He wanted an adventure before going into the work world so signed up for a stint with SAGA, which is sort of like Americore, and went off to live in a tent in Alaska for 7 months. He returned to Texas, worked for awhile at his old job and went back to Alaska for a few more months.

After getting back he worked at his old job and did a little substitute teaching and started to wonder if he wanted to teach or not. On day he was hanging around my bow shop and I ask if he would like to train to become a bowyer. He said, you know I have been around this stuff for a long time and it never even crossed my mind.

He came and apprenticed under me for a couple of days a week, then a little more and a little more until he came on board full time around 3 years ago. He has become a fine bowyer himself and will carry the business on when I get too tired to.

My daughter Kamden has 3 kids, Ty, Nathan and Catie, Kayci has 2 boys, Alex and Ian Archer and Zach just got married in November and they are planning on kids too.

We have to make a lot of kids bows.

A couple of years ago Mark, aka Chunky approached me about the possibilities of building a pass around bow and we thought it was a good idea. We built Sacagawea and got her on her way out to everyone. It has been a hoot to follow her travels and hear about all the folks that have had a chance with her. We a really proud to have been a part of this thing and are looking forward to following her travels in the coming months and years. Shoot em down the middle and good hunting.

As a good friend likes to say Longbows and Short Shots. Bob and Zach Sarrels
                      Thanks for telling us how your bow business came to be Bob ! I've yet to shoot one of y'alls bow, but I hope to make that change and soon. Maybe in the next few weeks I can get the Bischmeister to meet me at your shop so we can go thru the fine art of being fitted for a proper longbow

Originally posted by brent.westbrook View Post
                      Great bio, now I have to follow that?!
                      I am brent.westbrook......... is there a " Rest of the story " ?!?!?!
                      Hope you've found time to shoot her some more bro, tells us about yo'self when you get a chance

Comment

First let me thank all who made this bow possible. My time with Sacagawea flew by. I enjoyed being able to fling arrows with her. My name is Brenton Westbrook. I was raised in Marshall, TX., grew up around shooting bows and guns. However, it was not until I was 13 when I became serious about archery. I saved for two years to be able to upgrade my bow to a Mathews SQ2. It was later that same year I killed my first archery deer, and the second came the very next day. A couple years later I went to East TX archery to upgrade again and was offered a job to help there. I am extremely glad I took that offer. Jeff was able to teach me tons over the next few years and became a great friend of mine. When I graduated HS, I moved to Nacogdoches and attended SFA. I wanted to join the Army but my mother talked me into using my academic scholarships. After a semester I made a friend who showed me a way to do both and set me up to follow in his footsteps. I enlisted in the national guard as a way to gain experience while going to school still so I could become an officer and lead soldiers after school. Two years later and I became a veteran of OIF and someone who lost their mentor on memorial day 2007 to an IED, and also finished my first semester of college after enlisting for "simultaneous" experience.While attending SFA I would go hang out in the local bow shop. After one of my visits I was thanked for selling and setting up 3 bows and asked if I would like to get paid for it. Easy decision for a college student who loves archery. There I was able to continue my archery education with David and began my traditional quest. I took my fiance(at the time) on her first hunt which was my first traditional hunt. This is after shooting 500 arrows throughout the day for six months to become confident with the switch. During that hunt my 30yd shot from my black widow conected with my largest deer to date. I went on to Graduate from SFA with a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, and a distinguished military graduate of the R.O.T.C. while branching infantry, my first choice. Soon after I Married my lovely wife and moved to FT Benning,GA to attend infantry officers basic course. Which enlisted infantry basic can not begin to compare to. Afterwards I attended to notorious Ranger school and found myself sleep walking with 100#'s on my back and loosing weight I didn't want to loose. After graduating my wife would tell me my legs twitch like I'm walking in my sleep. I'm now 27, a platoon leader at FT Bliss with an airborne badge, air assault badge, expert infantryman badge, and a ranger tab and happily married to my best friend.

Comment

On the way

Comment

I'll be looking for it.

Comment

Just got Sacagawea in the mail. She is gorgeous. Its getting dark here so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to shoot her. I'm heading to JCO Outfitters for a pig/javvie hunt Feb 17-21. If I can get some arrows worked up for her I will try to get a javvie with her. I don't have anything that light so I'm not sure I have any arrows that will work.

This is the first time I've handled one of Bob's bows.
                              Last edited by Phillip Fields; 02-01-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Awesome write-up Brent!

Comment

Working...
                                X