Shooting left: Moving left arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cenizo View Post
    I have had the same issue and recently figured out that 90% of my left misses were due to over coiling my shoulders. This causes my front shoulder to cave in, thus changing the direction of force in my bow arm at release to a more leftward direction.

To illustrate, put your left hand palm on a wall in a "shooting" position. While keeping everything else in the same position, move your shoulder in and out parallel to the wall. As you move your shoulder, the direction of force changes which will alter the path of the arrow at release.
    Makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
      I totally missed the forum, LOL. My bad.
      Nonsense. Come enjoy the madness with us anytime. It's all fun.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I noticed this evening something I was doing. Got all lined up in a slightly closed stance, was drawing the bow, and noticed that I rotate my upper body (at the waist) a tad toward the target. Much the same as if I was standing with an open stance. No idea I was doing that.

Focused on NOT doing that and it made quite a difference. Actaully shot a few loooking like I knew what i was doing.
        Last edited by SJP51; 04-02-2021, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
          Try adjusting your grip. Instead of wrapping all four fingers around the grip, only place your thumb and index finger around the grip. Tuck the remaining 3 fingers on the outside of the grip as if trying to make a partial fist. This will cause your arm to stick out a little further than usual away from the sting and it will stop you from being able to torque the bow.

Hope this helps, God Bless.
          I have 3Rivers bow sling that essentially allows you not to grip the bow at all. Seems my grip is pretty good, and yes I do grip about like you're talking about:
          Only the thumb and index finger around the grip.

Thanks for insights!

Comment

I posted about some common issues I have a while back. All of my mistakes tend to manifest as a left miss. But it sounds like a shoulder alignment problem to me. Your bow shoulder blade needs to be sucked down and back next to your spine, and both shoulders need to make a line that's pointing at the target. Otherwise you may wind up using your triceps to keep the bow on target and when you release it's pulling left a bit.

Comment

I can't do that with my bow shoulder. If I let it collapse like that I'll shoot low every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                I posted about some common issues I have a while back. All of my mistakes tend to manifest as a left miss. But it sounds like a shoulder alignment problem to me. Your bow shoulder blade needs to be sucked down and back next to your spine, and both shoulders need to make a line that's pointing at the target. Otherwise you may wind up using your triceps to keep the bow on target and when you release it's pulling left a bit.
                Is that about the same as saying I need back tension?

Comment

For me back tension comes from squeezing the shoulder blades but pushing my shoulder out, bow hand out towards the target. That said I shoot a high anchor so dropping that shoulder changes how it affects my anchor point.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                    Is that about the same as saying I need back tension?
                    I tend to think of back tension as being on my string hand side. That's where the movement happens that pulls the string through the shot. The front side shoulder needs to be kept down as well though, and it does take tension in the back, but on your left side if you're a right handed archer.

Tom Clum has some freely available videos on this. So does Jake Kaminski.

Comment

Working...
                    X