Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 08-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County
Default Mass Shooter Correlation

I read an interesting article today regarding a single correlation between all of almost all mass shooters. I'd say it's worth looking into more. The article is from 2013 and I would have no doubt the mass shooters since would follow this trend.

I would like to see more data be produced in the autopsies, and see if the drugs are the root causation, or just merely a contributing factor.

https://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/eve...#axzz5vkICfFvA
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

Ive thought that for a long time. Anyone with physiological problems are just having drugs thrown at them.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
DarrellS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

They all have prescribed dope in common
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Jason Fry
Ten Point

Hunt In: a tall tree

Tough case to make, as those meds are one of the first treatments for a variety of "mental illnesses," some of which are fairly common and "normal." If you say you don't feel good or have negative thoughts, you get a SSRI.

So are they shooters because of the meds? Not likely IMO. They're on the meds because they aren't thinking right.
Jason Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

I think the medication can certainly push them over the edge. It has a propensity to make young teens suicidal. I would think during an extreme mood swing these meds could also cause someone to act upon violent thoughts.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fry View Post
Tough case to make, as those meds are one of the first treatments for a variety of "mental illnesses," some of which are fairly common and "normal." If you say you don't feel good or have negative thoughts, you get a SSRI.

So are they shooters because of the meds? Not likely IMO. They're on the meds because they aren't thinking right.
Totally agree! Something is wrong with these people from the start, hence the need for the drugs! Look how many people commit suicide that are on these drugs, but they are on them because of depression or suicidal thoughts already.

Last edited by hogslayer78; 08-05-2019 at 12:35 PM.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
Totally agree! Something is wrong with these people from the start, hence the need for the drugs! Look how many people commit suicide that are on these drugs, but they are them because of depression or suicidal thoughts already.
Sometimes it makes it worse though. My mother has literally never mentally been the same since she was prescribed something when I was in middle school. She was okay before just would get depression episodes, but since that she's nearly off her rocker quite often and when she does get an episode of depression she's a total whack job now.
Sometimes the drugs help, sometimes they dont. I think we can agree theres an over-prescription problem and not enough actual help dealing with the reality of day to day.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:

More people are on them now and from a younger age. Heck, some drugs have side effects for the problem they are supposed to be stopping.
krisw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
bcmuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county/kansas

A good a** whooping goes a long way in preventing a Dr. From prescribing drugs for unruly kids that parents don’t discipline.
bcmuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmuzzy View Post
A good a** whooping goes a long way in preventing a Dr. From prescribing drugs for unruly kids that parents donít discipline.
This!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
asttbe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My yard

asttbe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:

Yea they could just be on an antidepressant or be OCD and get put on PAXIL that can cause aggregation... Because someone is depressed or has a anxiety disorder doesn't mean they have an urge to shoot up a school.
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #13
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

I've been saying this for years.

All these shootings started happening not long after Ritalin becoming widely prescribed for kids. Unfortunately, now many children never learn how to deal with life in a cognitive way...and still don't as adults.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #14
bcmuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county/kansas

A** whippings cured nearly all mental illnesses in my day!
bcmuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
camoclad
Six Point

Hunt In: central tx

I thought you was going to say the correlation is that they are all loners and isolated, looking for fame.... like on the social media's.
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 10:01 PM   #16
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Val Verde Counties

I long wondered if these mind altering drugs docs hand out like candy are not a contributing factor if not the sole factor. There have been documented studies if you personally ask for a specific brand you saw advertised the vast majority of the time they are going to prescribe it for you, the TV commercials need to be outlawed IMO!
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #17
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

One ever think parents these days are lazy and/or too liberal and don't believe in "Spare the rod, spoil the child"?

When I was a boy we all got over our problems/issues by learning to cope. Sure it was hard for some but in the end it works great. Now it's just instantly put them on happy drugs. Why learn to cope?

It's a combo of lots of things. Drugs, stupid/lazy parents, lack of morals etc... The bad parents part also includes too many video game hours which leads to a lack of people skills. And a few other things.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #18
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:

I'm not a doctor by any means and have certainly not looked into it at depth, but I think you missed the point. I don't agree or disagree because I truly don't know, but big pharm is fishy at best.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #19
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Someone in the comments of the article link referenced pointed out a fallacy of correlation versus causation as far as psychotropic drugs and mass shooting is concerned. Not saying drugs necessarily "cause" the shootings. However, there is a definite smoke/fire type correlation.

I also know personally of people who have had teen children suffer drastic psychological consequences (become suicidal) very quickly after beginning some of these drugs.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #20
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
One ever think parents these days are lazy and/or too liberal and don't believe in "Spare the rod, spoil the child"?
What'ca Talkin Bout Willis??
Ain't you ever heard of "Time Out"??
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #21
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

These drugs absolutely have play a role in many past killings. Someone mentioned a review of past shootings and all the shooters were on some type of mind altering drug prescriptions.
I saw the same thing. It also mentioned many kids who only killed friends of siblings and parents. One really good kid by all as counts was placed on a drug and days later killed his sister for no reason. Another killed his dad. Several were taken off the drugs cold turkey after months and they killed.
Bottom line is. These drugs should only be prescribed in the absolute worst case scenarios not like candy to help little Johnny cope with homework.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #22
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
A good a** whooping goes a long way in preventing a Dr. From prescribing drugs for unruly kids that parents donít discipline.
x1000
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #23
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
A** whippings cured nearly all mental illnesses in my day!
Yes sir! The thing that kept me out of trouble the most when I was a kid was the fear of what my dad would do to my hind end if'n he found out. Also getting a spanking at school was a sure sentence to get an even worse one when I got home.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #24
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Quote:

When I was a boy we all got over our problems/issues by learning to cope. Sure it was hard for some but in the end it works great. Now it's just instantly put them on happy drugs. Why learn to cope?

It's a combo of lots of things. Drugs, stupid/lazy parents, lack of morals etc... The bad parents part also includes too many video game hours which leads to a lack of people skills. And a few other things.
I definitely agree with that! Our society in general has lost the ability to cope with emotions correctly. It's why you see so many turn to alcohol when they're stressed or depressed, rather than dealing with their issues the right way.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #25
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

ACTIONS = CONSEQUENCES

This has been missing from the child raising metric for decades.
Drugging your children to make them easier to raise is a huge cop out. As hyperactive and adhd as I was/am, thank God my parents were not the type to drug, and delivered discipline in measured doses to me and my siblings. I took a long time for me to learn to use ADD to better myself, instead of holding me back. If any of your children have this, learn yourself, and help them learn to live with it, and learn to use it to their advantage.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #26
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
ACTIONS = CONSEQUENCES

This has been missing from the child raising metric for decades.
Drugging your children to make them easier to raise is a huge cop out. As hyperactive and adhd as I was/am, thank God my parents were not the type to drug, and delivered discipline in measured doses to me and my siblings. I took a long time for me to learn to use ADD to better myself, instead of holding me back. If any of your children have this, learn yourself, and help them learn to live with it, and learn to use it to their advantage.
People should but they won't. Everyone is now taught that they are special. They really believe their kid is special and their kid is the one that really needs the drugs.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #27
dharris
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Just remember that not many drugs out are meant to cure anything only to make symptoms lesser. There is no money in any cure! As most things follow the money and you will find the real problem!
dharris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #28
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:

Thatís the elephant in the room that nobody wants to address because it would take admitting one failed as a parent. Sometimes you need to bust your kids *** instead of drugging them for being *******s, sometimes you need to tell them you suck at this and donít deserve a trophy, sometimes you need to take phone.. PlayStation and other devices away. Sometimes you need to make them get off their *** and do chores. Coddling and wanting to be their bestfriend isnít doing them a favor. All the time be their Parent
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #29
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

It’s probably something really simple that each one shares. If I had to bet it would be that they couldn’t get laid in a whorehouse with a pocket full of cash.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top