No announcement yet.

pistol shooting is off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you firing from the reset? That should help a lot. It's pretty much the Ancient Chinese Secret of handgun shooting.

Also, congrats on recognizing the issue is the shooter, not even joking that's next level to not blame the gear.

Hang in there!

Comment

Honestly, stop what you are doing and get proper training before you develop bad habits. $100 for a pistol class can really help. I signed my wife up for a class and took it with her to spend time together, I ended up learning a lot as well.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
        Honestly, stop what you are doing and get proper training before you develop bad habits. $100 for a pistol class can really help. I signed my wife up for a class and took it with her to spend time together, I ended up learning a lot as well.
        Truth^^^

Comment

Keep working till you figure it out lol.

There’s a lot of good advice in this thread. I couldn’t help uploading my favorite “diagnostic”
          Attached Files

Comment

Try dry firing a double action revolver with a coin on top of barrels front rib

When you can dry fire without the coin falling off

Go back to semi auto

Glocks have plastic triggers that have certain amount of predictability

Just a suggestion

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
              5 rounds with proper form does nothing for muscle memory
              500 rounds does and it allows you to conform your own posture to correct your intended impact with your actual impact in a sort of walk it in method. Additionally the body quits considering recoil as an anomaly and allows concentration to be less infringed on. Revolvers are not a good trainer for semi auto grip they have an entire different grip angle . Snap caps with intermittent placing in a magazine cures anticipation and assists in remedial action drills. Everyone has great trigger pull with dry fire.
              He doesn’t have bad form he has a bad case of recoil anticipation. I’ve trained several people with absolutely perfect stance, draw, recover, return yet there fire was messed up with recoil anticipation.

This man knows what he’s talking about, when I started my career as a LEO we carried revolvers, they we shot thousands of rounds while in the academy. Those who couldn’t shoot well became good those who were good got better because of the right instructions and the right practice. Some would freak when we would shoot .357 magnum after training with .38 cal. Our instructors would have u stand on the line they would load our revolvers with a mix of magnum and .38 cal rounds ,then hand us the weapon for bolstering. It makes us all pull the trigger without anticipating .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Low left can indicate a number of things. However, the most likely cause is eye dominance. I would suspect you are right handed, but left eye dominant. This causes you to look down the side of the weapon as opposed to over the top. There are several fixes, none of which are easy. You first need to establish that this is your problem. Once that is done, you have to train, train, train, train, until the training becomes second nature. It is a scientific fact that it is impossible to wink an eye during a cqb gun fight. So closing your left eye is not an option. You can tilt your head to the side, thus lining up your correct eye with the sights, or you can lean the gun to the side, kinda gangstar style. These are not good fixes, as you are unlikely to remember to do them during a gun fight. I teach about 150 shooters per year in the police academy, and have been doing this for about 14 years. The easiest fix is to simply train to shoot left handed. Is it hard? Yes. I am telling you though if you have an eye dominance issue, converting to shooting with the same hand as your dominant eye is the easiest option.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                  Low left can indicate a number of things. However, the most likely cause is eye dominance. I would suspect you are right handed, but left eye dominant. This causes you to look down the side of the weapon as opposed to over the top. There are several fixes, none of which are easy. You first need to establish that this is your problem. Once that is done, you have to train, train, train, train, until the training becomes second nature. It is a scientific fact that it is impossible to wink an eye during a cqb gun fight. So closing your left eye is not an option. You can tilt your head to the side, thus lining up your correct eye with the sights, or you can lean the gun to the side, kinda gangstar style. These are not good fixes, as you are unlikely to remember to do them during a gun fight. I teach about 150 shooters per year in the police academy, and have been doing this for about 14 years. The easiest fix is to simply train to shoot left handed. Is it hard? Yes. I am telling you though if you have an eye dominance issue, converting to shooting with the same hand as your dominant eye is the easiest option.
                  If you’re shooting both eyes open and focusing on the front sight, how does shooting wrong handed fix a trigger control issue?

Comment

I shoot a pistol right and left handed but carry it on my right because I’m left eye dominant so my rifle hangs from my left side. Keeps my rig balanced having rifle mags on my right and pistol mags on my left. You bring up some good points. I have always shot this way and I keep both eyes open. I train everyone to be able to use each hand to shoot. I swap hands for rifle and pistol qualifications each time and always shoot expert if not straight full score. Anyone can learn anything. I learned to use my right eye and shoot a rifle with both hands and same with my pistol. I have found concentration and proper trigger pull is much more important that the rest since I have rarely had a good stance, body position in my engagements. A neat thing I have noticed is in gunfights one will grow accustomed to it and be able to think. I train soldiers and federal agents so I can see how that is different they know what they are going into. Police has a much harder day since they may be helping a child home then turn around and be in active shooter. Much harder on the brain system that way. Going from white to red that fast is hard on the brain, that’s why I teach to always stay in yellow that way when you have to use it you know you were paying attention and can sleep at night knowing you went from white, yellow, orange, red, to black. Instead of slamming from white to red. That’s where people can’t remember what happened and then usually they question if they should have used their weapon, at least as soon as they did.
                    You brought up some good points

Comment

I close the left eye, shooting right-handed. Can't focus with both open.

Comment

If you are in a gun fight you cannot close an eye. Shooting targets is fine, they don't shoot back. Shooting animals, again, they don't shoot back. If you are cross eye dominant it doesn't matter how well you pull the trigger, you will always be off because the sights don't line up.

Comment

If you are in a gun fight you cannot close an eye. Shooting targets is fine, they don't shoot back. Shooting animals, again, they don't shoot back. If you are cross eye dominant it doesn't matter how well you pull the trigger, you will always be off because the sights don't line up.

Don’t forget to mention fine motor skills go out the window in a firefight unless you constantly train for such event like military or LEO active shooter scenarios. Lots of factors in an “oh fudge “ moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            Keep working till you figure it out lol.

There’s a lot of good advice in this thread. I couldn’t help uploading my favorite “diagnostic”
                            ^^^^^^^
                            I seen that one to pretty funny right there.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The gunfighting information and eye dominance are interesting for a discussion but if the OP is taking his time and only using one eye, those aren’t his issues.

Anticipating the shot likely is.

With a Glock, even more likely.

Comment

Working...
                              X