Traditional Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Blues

Well, I'm not really sure how to say this correctly, but changing from the wheel bow to the recurve has definitely been challenging, but I plan on sticking with it. To top it off, I don't have a regular lease, so I'm not really hunting a target rich environment. I've been able to hunt a couple of times this week, and fortunate enough to see a couple of deer. I'm hunting the edge of a 37 acre soy bean field that was just cut earlier this week. On both sides of this are wheat fields, so the deer have plenty of grub to choose from.

This evening, I saw a really good buck come up out of the creek behind me. He was about 35 yards out, but a relatively easy shot with the compound. All I could do was watch. When he stepped out of the creek bottom, I immediately remembered that I didn't have my grunt call with me. I guess we will never know if he would have responded or not. . . On the bright side, this is the second buck I've seen come out of the same spot on the creek. I'll be back there tomorrow afternoon to move a stand into position a little closer.

Pretty sure this is the guy that I saw this evening. . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0062.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	25101699

Well, at least I got to get out and spend a little time in nature.

God Bless,
    Skooter

Good luck tomorrow!!

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Hunting the hard way is harder for sure. Believe me when I tell you that when it all comes together it is a satisfaction beyond words. Your hard work will pay off with a little patience... I was in your shoes just a few years ago. I had been very successful with my compound, I had the getting close down. There are not many changes that needs to be made as far as hunting is concerned. Just keep with it and you will be happy that you did.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Traditional Blues

It's all matter of perspective.

If you had the compound, and you saw a deer at 100yds, would you be thinking about how easily you would have gotten him with a rifle?

You just have to develop a traditional perspective! To me, a deer at 35yds is just out of range. It wasn't my turn that day!

Hunting with trad gear is hard. It takes a lot of effort and work to get good. All that effort and work just makes the successes that much sweeter!

Good luck next time out!!!

Bisch

Comment

Yep, what Ben and Jerry said (now I am thinking about ice cream all of a sudden)

Of the 18 sits I have put in... over a dozen I have had shooters I could see, but none in trad range. Many deer could have died with any other weapon.

Once you have success, you won't be blue because you could have killed them... you will be blue because you couldn't get closer. If anything, I consider myself a better hunter now than before, even though I haven't been successful. Just not good enough to be consistent yet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm planning on sticking it out until I succeed.

Thanks,
              Skooter

Comment

Good luck today!! I hope it all comes together for you.

Comment

good luck brother, trying to get as close as possible is fun for me, although way more challenging and failures are much greater, the rewards are much much higher

on the last day of doe season here in Henderson county, I stalked into their bedding areas perfectly quiet.....I sat there took a nap, then woke up too a giant about 60 yards from me, he disappeared, only to be following two fat mature does who showed up out of nowhere at 25 yards, one doe stopped and I guess got wind of me so she froze, she was at 25 yards which is my comfort zone, but her vitals was behind a tree, all I needed her to do is make one step, and then the other doe came forward as they calmed down.....I credit this to evercalm...I used this for the first time that day and I guess it worked..but anyways the doe stepped forward, I drew back, she saw my movement, I released, I aimed low also, my arrow skit across her back, had hair on the broadhead, but no blood, clean miss.....

but I considered that hunt a success, it was by far the most intense situation ive ever been with, Ive hunted with my stickbow all season and although I haven't took any game this year my encounters have been worth while and much much more exciting....that's why I love stickbow hunting.....BUT I'm getting a faster stickbow, I need something with a flat trajectory while shooting a 500 plus arrow....

Comment

That is a common feeling all recent trad converts go through. My first year with a stickbow I will admit I would feel just a tinge of regret when I had deer well within compound range but outside of my self-imposed maximum with trad gear. By the next season that regret was supplanted by thoughts of "how can I get closer next time?" Sounds like you are committed so I'm sure you will get it done!

Comment

Hunting in a target rich environment has got to help. It's helped me miss five times. Keep at it. We'll both get it done at some point.

Comment

Haha. I'm still super challenged by a compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I plan on staying the course. I have been blessed to take an elk and a doe already this year with the compound - both on public land. I'm determined to get my first traditional kill this year. I'll be better for it I'm sure.

Since the cold weather has kept the ducks from coming, it looks like my season will be prolonged. This may be for the best. I plan on taking the first shot I'm comfortable with.

Skooter

Comment

I never looked at a deer out of range and said " If I just had my wheelie bow or gun".
                            First thought was " How can I setup to be in range next hunt" !!!!

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X