What to use for small engine oil leak ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to use for small engine oil leak ?

I have a 16HP Kohler engine in a welding machine that is leaking oil I think out of the shaft seal.

Has anyone used any product like this leak stop additive and had success with it or can suggest another product? I really don't want to pull the engine for a shaft seal.

Bar's Leaks Stop Engine Oil Leak Products is formulated to Stop and Seal Motor Oil Leaks. Our products are affordable and safe for all vehicles.

Thanks Ranchdog

I always thought barsleak was for water not oil. Just put some floor dry under it. Only real fix it to change seal and maybe a sleeve on the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
      I always thought barsleak was for water not oil. Just put some floor dry under it. Only real fix it to change seal and maybe a sleeve on the shaft.
      Thanks. Yes they do have an oil leak formula, just don't know if it or anything else might work. The oil leaks all over the machine, not just to the floor so floor dry won't help.

RD

Comment

What usually happens is it’s not just the seal that wears, but also the shaft where the seal rubs it. Unless it’s a different design.

I suppose you could try something like Engine honey or a similar STP treatment. Really don’t see how any oil treatment is going to fix anything.

Comment

Nothing that is a real fix, and will last more than a few hours. Most if those additives do more damage than they fix.

Comment

Some of the kohler engines have 2 slightly different sizes spec'd. It makes it difficult as it is hard to get the right one, so be careful. Helped a friend with a kohler like this, he had the seal replaced and all was good. Not sure how much the labor cost him, but there was no problem w/ the shaft.

Comment

Working...
            X