Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bbq

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Nice bark and smoke ring... Looks like Perkins BBQ....
    Lol 😂

Comment

Originally posted by BWDean View Post

I wrap at 150-160, pull at 195, and let it rest. And it is dry and tough every time. What am I doing wrong guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monitoring needs to be in the center of the thickest part of the flat ... I like to angle it in to get more of the probe in the meat without passing thought the other side. Like so below. I have had to change the location of the probe as well after my target is reached because it wasn't right.. ie probe says 200 but it's tough and I find the real center is still at 195..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	24540171

My suggestion for next time and this is what works for me. I am not a pro....Just a backyard hack.

I'd take it to 200 next time with your main monitoring probe while wrapped . When you reach that temp, I like to take a handheld insta-read thermo like a Thermopop or Lavatools Insta-read and check other areas of the meat for their temp as well just to see how its going. While doing that I am probing the brisket for tenderness. The thermo probe need to pass through all areas of the meat like a hot knife through butter...and if it doesn't....keep taking that center up another couple of degrees. Check at 202...then 204 if need be. 200 is not a magic catch all number for me. It is just a number for me to start probing. Luckily it usually is done at 200 but I have had to take it further like described above. Like I said above as well in the monitoring deal, I've also started probing around with my handheld and then moved my big probe to a cooler spot I found and finished out a brisket because it was still too tough to the probe. Sometimes the initial probe spot is off. It's all about checking and making sure for me.

Personally, I rarely have had a brisket done under 200 and I've messed up my share taking them off before. The ones I have pulled at 195 or less due to time constraints are like you experienced. Dry and tough. In the same thought I have walked several folks through briskets that pulled them early, against my advice, they were asking for, because their wife or family were banging their forks on the table whining for food. And it was dry and tough. All I have said is....Man I tried to tell you... It's done when it's done....not before.

I know the above to some, sounds like its a lot, or too involved, but once you get it down, its really a 30 second process and you close the wrap and push the grate back in to go some more if needed. If it is too involved...just take it to 200-201 and hope you don't have one that needs to go to 202-205..
      Last edited by Smart; 05-29-2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Monitoring need to be in the center of the thickest part of the flat ... I like to angle it in to get more of the probe in the meat without passing thought the other side. Like so. I ahve had to change the location of the probe as well.

[ATTACH]909712[/ATTACH]

My suggestion for next time and this is what works for me. I am not a pro....Just a backyard hack.

I'd take it to 200 next time with your main monitoring probe while wrapped . When you reach that temp, I like to take a handheld insta-read thermo like a Thermopop or Lavatools Insta-read and check other areas of the meat for their temp as well just to see how its going. While doing that I am probing the brisket for tenderness. The thermo probe need to pass through all areas of the meat like a hot knife through butter...and if it doesn't....keep taking that center up another couple of degrees. Check at 202...then 204 if need be. 200 is not a magic catch all number for me. It is just a number for me to start probing. Luckily it usually is done at 200 but I have had to take it further like described above. I've also started probing around with my handheld and then moved my big probe to a cooler spot IO found and finished out a brisket because it was still too tough to the probe. Sometimes the initial probe spot is off. It's all about checking and making sure for me.

Personally, I rarely have had a brisket done under 200 and I've messed up my share taking them off before. The ones I have pulled at 195 or less due to time constraints are like you experienced. Dry and tough. In the same thought I have walked several folks through briskets that pulled them early against my advice they wer asking for becaus e their wife or family were banging their forks on the table whining for food. And it was dry and tough. All I have said is....Man I tried to tell you... It's done when it's done....not before.

Thank you sir. I’ll try that next weekend.

Comment

Monitoring needs to be in the center of the thickest part of the flat ... I like to angle it in to get more of the probe in the meat without passing thought the other side. Like so below. I have had to change the location of the probe as well after my target is reached because it wasn't right.. ie probe says 200 but it's tough and I find the real center is still at 195..

[ATTACH]909712[/ATTACH]

I'd take it to 200 next time with your main monitoring probe while wrapped . When you reach that temp, I like to take a handheld insta-read thermo like a Thermopop or Lavatools Insta-read and check other areas of the meat for their temp as well just to see how its going. While doing that I am probing the brisket for tenderness. The thermo probe need to pass through all areas of the meat like a hot knife through butter...and if it doesn't....keep taking that center up another couple of degrees. Check at 202...then 204 if need be. 200 is not a magic catch all number for me. It is just a number for me to start probing. Luckily it usually is done at 200 but I have had to take it further like described above. Like I said above as well in the monitoring deal, I've also started probing around with my handheld and then moved my big probe to a cooler spot I found and finished out a brisket because it was still too tough to the probe. Sometimes the initial probe spot is off. It's all about checking and making sure for me.

Personally, I rarely have had a brisket done under 200 and I've messed up my share taking them off before. The ones I have pulled at 195 or less due to time constraints are like you experienced. Dry and tough. In the same thought I have walked several folks through briskets that pulled them early, against my advice, they were asking for, because their wife or family were banging their forks on the table whining for food. And it was dry and tough. All I have said is....Man I tried to tell you... It's done when it's done....not before.

I know the above to some, sounds like its a lot, or too involved, but once you get it down, its really a 30 second process and you close the wrap and push the grate back in to go some more if needed. If it is too involved...just take it to 200-201 and hope you don't have one that needs to go to 202-205..
          Exactly. 👍👍

Comment

[ATTACH]909712[/ATTACH]

This guy knows what he’s talking about. I just smoked my first brisket at the beginning of this month. with his advice I’ve now smoked 7 successfully. All of them were perfect. Even the one I fell asleep in the middle of cooking.

Comment

Lol. Not even close. The OP looks much better.
              Originally posted by Perkins7581 View Post
              That’s the best brisket I’ve seen on here. My have to send smart over so you can show him how to keep the moisture in one!
              Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                Smart will probably jump in too, but depending on your temp it could be 2-2-1 or 2-1-1. I smoke at 250 so I go with 2-1-1(sometimes .5 if done).
                Baby backs I go 3-2-1

Spare ribs I go 3-3-1

Awesome every time

Comment

Another thing on briskets. Trying to time one to finish at a certain time is just asking for trouble. It’s way better to plan for it to be done 1-2 hours before you plan to eat. It will stay warm for a very long time wrapped up in a cooler. It’s best, IMHO, to let it cool off some when it’s finished, lightly wrapped and on the counter before you put it in a cooler for resting. If you go straight to the cooler while it’s still at 200° or so, it keeps cooking and turns the meat mushy.

Comment

Bbq

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                    Lol. Not even close. The OP looks much better.

Please go have ur eyes checked tomorrow🐀

Comment

Please learn what good brisket is. Lol.
                      Originally posted by Perkins7581 View Post
                      Please go have ur eyes checked tomorrow[emoji232]

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                        Another thing on briskets. Trying to time one to finish at a certain time is just asking for trouble. It’s way better to plan for it to be done 1-2 hours before you plan to eat. It will stay warm for a very long time wrapped up in a cooler. It’s best, IMHO, to let it cool off some when it’s finished, lightly wrapped and on the counter before you put it in a cooler for resting. If you go straight to the cooler while it’s still at 200° or so, it keeps cooking and turns the meat mushy.

That’s a great idea. I know they’ll still rise a bit in the cooler, but it makes sense that if you let it rest a bit it’ll simply hold in the cooler.

Comment

Working...
                        X