Ranch water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranch water

I’m wanting to plant a few different types of trees around the ranch. Oaks, limes for tequila and some colorful ones like Crepe Myrtles. Our water supply is a solar powered well that feeds a pond, 325 gallon water tote and water to the camp. We transfer water to other troughs year round. How could I rig up to water a tree next to a water tote, that would not over water and kill the trees. The simple and cheap way that doesn’t require electricity or batteries. The ranch is 40 miles from Mexico in Starr County and all pretty much sand, darn near like driving on the beach.

I would think if you set up a faucet on the tote that allows you to control the water flow to a drip it would not kill the tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      I would think if you set up a faucet on the tote that allows you to control the water flow to a drip it would not kill the tree...
      You could put a timer on the faucet to control the frequency and length of time to drip.

Comment

Ranch water

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
        You could put a timer on the faucet to control the frequency and length of time to drip.

This. We had one on a flower bed. Battery operated timer for a hose. Can also get 12 volt normally closed valves- open when under power. Feeder battery, solar panel and a timer.

Edit- thought this was about topo Chico and tequila, a good use for those limes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would suggest solar powered sprinkler controllers which are available on Amazon. I would also use the Ross deep root feeder to promote deep root growth. Especially in that arid area.

Comment

Drip irrigation

Comment

I use a smart valve timer from Hunter irrigation products uses a six volt battery they last about 6 months and run drip irrigation to trees If you have tote elevated just a little flood bubblers would probably work the best just using gravity feed for pressure

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
                I use a smart valve timer from Hunter irrigation products uses a six volt battery they last about 6 months and run drip irrigation to trees If you have tote elevated just a little flood bubblers would probably work the best just using gravity feed for pressure
                I set up very similar to this at my aunts place. Tote that’s elevated, gravity feeds with an inline battery powered timer. Just opens up a single main line that has drip irrigation around the tree base.

Comment

Water is life

Comment

Can any of you guys show some pictures or say how you installed. Valve, drip head, components? I need reliability. It’s a 4 hour drive to the ranch.

Comment

In for ideas!

Comment

There is some kinda bag you put around the tree trunk an fill with water and it slowly waters the tree. My nextdoor neighbor uses them.

Comment

I second the water bags idea

Comment

From the title I was thinking of a different Ranch Water.

Comment

I’m in the same boat, I’m going to be running a timer system on a few thousand potted pecan trees. I have a “nursery” for my pecan trees that I’m currently making and I’m going to setup so when the well kicks on to fill my pond it’ll also give the option to water the trees. Then when the pond is full, I’ll swap over to a simple Harbor freight water pump still using the timer system but, I’ll pull from the pond.

Comment

Working...
                              X