Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default Somerville 2020/21

Well finally said screw it and pit my boots on the ground out there after not being there since mid Dec no sign of life lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point
 
ArcheryAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Primarily Public lands/& private Honey Holes
Default

Keep walking.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
ArcheryAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post
Keep walking.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Been hunting it for 12 yrs walked from corner to corner they be ready by Oct lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #4
01milburnsc
Six Point
 
01milburnsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

I plan on trying my luck up there this year. If I ask some etiquette questions, please have some grace. I have never hunted public land, but always been raised to respect everyoneís right to an unmolested hunt.

I have some friends that live in the area where I can keep my RV and will more than likely hunt during the week.I plan on hitting the ground later this month to start scouting.

How do I get more information about the rules like baiting, stands, etc.?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01milburnsc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01milburnsc View Post
I plan on trying my luck up there this year. If I ask some etiquette questions, please have some grace. I have never hunted public land, but always been raised to respect everyoneís right to an unmolested hunt.

I have some friends that live in the area where I can keep my RV and will more than likely hunt during the week.I plan on hitting the ground later this month to start scouting.

How do I get more information about the rules like baiting, stands, etc.?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baiting isn't allowed after aug 15th you can use scent like tink and so on but no corn or feed of any kind can be used its a bow only land stands as the rules show can only be there for up to 72 hr but I have yet to see one be picked up if longer than 72 hrs I WOULD LOCK THE STAND due to ignorant punks who steal them if they see them but other that just please don't wait till opening weekend to follow people and then scout that day hahah

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2020, 07:39 PM   #6
01milburnsc
Six Point
 
01milburnsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

GD47,

Thanks for the info.

Would never scout on the weekends after opening day. Thatís just asking to have fecal matter smeared on your windshield.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01milburnsc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2020, 07:39 PM   #7
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

And yes it is public land so you can't "claim" a area but most of us have hunted the same areas for yrs so if you see one or cameras out there please just move on and give that person the respect of a few 100 yards

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01milburnsc View Post
GD47,

Thanks for the info.

Would never scout on the weekends after opening day. Thatís just asking to have fecal matter smeared on your windshield.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any time iv been out there for 12 yrs now and LOVE it 90% of us are good folks lol if you ever need help or anything feel free to ask!!!!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #9
01milburnsc
Six Point
 
01milburnsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

I plan on definitely putting in my own work, and hope to be of assistance if any of the veterans need it. I have a lot of time off built up from this pandemic so I will be out during the week mostly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01milburnsc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #10
01milburnsc
Six Point
 
01milburnsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

If I were going to use a cell cam what service works better, AT&T or Verizon?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01milburnsc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #11
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01milburnsc View Post
If I were going to use a cell cam what service works better, AT&T or Verizon?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The cam has to be for whatever provider you use and I know they can be tracked but I'd find a way to lock that sucker up iv had 5 cams stolen in the last 4 yrs!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #12
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01milburnsc View Post
I plan on definitely putting in my own work, and hope to be of assistance if any of the veterans need it. I have a lot of time off built up from this pandemic so I will be out during the week mostly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But I have att phone service and have signal almost everywhere

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #13
mdoug1076
Four Point
 
mdoug1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA
Default

Welcome! And good luck! Make sure to have your normal hunting permit along with your APH(Annual Public Hunting) for this coming up hunting season. When you purchase your APH, you will get mailed a book of all the public lands, rules, maps, etc. You have to do OSR(On Site Registration) every time you go out there. I do mine on the Texas public land/OSR app each time. I always follow the 72 hour rule of moving my stand and I still lock mine up during that time. There are two units out there and I always have several spots picked out at both units because you never know who will come in or show up to an area...itís public land so have a few backup plans. Just my opinion, but the deer are not hard to pattern out there, but the legal bucks are very smart. Be careful out there and bring LOTs of water when scouting. Season starts in less then 2 months, so get out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01milburnsc View Post
I plan on trying my luck up there this year. If I ask some etiquette questions, please have some grace. I have never hunted public land, but always been raised to respect everyoneís right to an unmolested hunt.

I have some friends that live in the area where I can keep my RV and will more than likely hunt during the week.I plan on hitting the ground later this month to start scouting.

How do I get more information about the rules like baiting, stands, etc.?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 07:30 PM   #14
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
Welcome! And good luck! Make sure to have your normal hunting permit along with your APH(Annual Public Hunting) for this coming up hunting season. When you purchase your APH, you will get mailed a book of all the public lands, rules, maps, etc. You have to do OSR(On Site Registration) every time you go out there. I do mine on the Texas public land/OSR app each time. I always follow the 72 hour rule of moving my stand and I still lock mine up during that time. There are two units out there and I always have several spots picked out at both units because you never know who will come in or show up to an area...itís public land so have a few backup plans. Just my opinion, but the deer are not hard to pattern out there, but the legal bucks are very smart. Be careful out there and bring LOTs of water when scouting. Season starts in less then 2 months, so get out there!
Mannnnn thanks for backing me up on this totally forgot about the check in!!! Thank ya lol I REALLY need to go look at nails iv never step foot on it or even deanville side lol guess why leave when you got what you got huh lol may have to get out to those areas mid Sept hopw for a cold spell ya know like high 80s lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #15
mdoug1076
Four Point
 
mdoug1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA
Default

I know where your honey hole is and wonít go near it!......donít worry I wonít be the guy walking around opening morning playing Rambo and trying to ďstalkĒ one thru there lol! There are good bucks at Nails and Yegua units....Iíve seen shooters at both. If we donít get flooded out this year, I believe it will be one of the best years yet. Hopefully the acorns will be better than last year.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Mannnnn thanks for backing me up on this totally forgot about the check in!!! Thank ya lol I REALLY need to go look at nails iv never step foot on it or even deanville side lol guess why leave when you got what you got huh lol may have to get out to those areas mid Sept hopw for a cold spell ya know like high 80s lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #16
mdoug1076
Four Point
 
mdoug1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA
Default

Anyone have any good suggestions for fixed broadhead arrows? Wanting to switch from the mechanical on my bloodsport arrows with outserts. I use a compound bow too. I know I can read a million reviews online, just curious to hear opinions.
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #17
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
I know where your honey hole is and wonít go near it!......donít worry I wonít be the guy walking around opening morning playing Rambo and trying to ďstalkĒ one thru there lol! There are good bucks at Nails and Yegua units....Iíve seen shooters at both. If we donít get flooded out this year, I believe it will be one of the best years yet. Hopefully the acorns will be better than last year.
Lol you don't know me!!! Hahahahaha hey I'm solo this season boss is over across one of the oceans...playing ig Joe Haha but in all seriousness most know where I'm at been there for 10 yrs lol just most don't understand we just lucky nothing more to it lol in 12 yrs of hunting phl here have yet to get the opportunity on anything bigger than a 3point of spike and does iv seen some that make you wanna pass out but never sealed it lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #18
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
Anyone have any good suggestions for fixed broadhead arrows? Wanting to switch from the mechanical on my bloodsport arrows with outserts. I use a compound bow too. I know I can read a million reviews online, just curious to hear opinions.
Nope I'm no help im a rage man lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #19
mdoug1076
Four Point
 
mdoug1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA
Default

I have AT&T and my service works in some areas and doesnít work in some areas. I may be incorrect but donít those cameras need 4G to work effectively? Somerville is pretty much the lowest area and almost all of it is in the flood plain so just before if you put a camera out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01milburnsc View Post
If I were going to use a cell cam what service works better, AT&T or Verizon?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #20
mdoug1076
Four Point
 
mdoug1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA
Default

I used Rage Hypodermic to kill my 8pt last year. Was just think about switching it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Nope I'm no help im a rage man lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #21
mdoug1076
Four Point
 
mdoug1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA
Default

Iíll hunt Bossís stand then! He wonít care lol! Just kidding!...save that area so he gets a nice one when he comes back from serving our country! I have 3 spots where I think there will be shooters so hit me up if you need any help....not telling you about the best one though lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Lol you don't know me!!! Hahahahaha hey I'm solo this season boss is over across one of the oceans...playing ig Joe Haha but in all seriousness most know where I'm at been there for 10 yrs lol just most don't understand we just lucky nothing more to it lol in 12 yrs of hunting phl here have yet to get the opportunity on anything bigger than a 3point of spike and does iv seen some that make you wanna pass out but never sealed it lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #22
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
Iíll hunt Bossís stand then! He wonít care lol! Just kidding!...save that area so he gets a nice one when he comes back from serving our country! I have 3 spots where I think there will be shooters so hit me up if you need any help....not telling you about the best one though lol.
Haha oh ill be in his stand opening morning i got till he gets back to give him payback the buck he's ALWAYS bragging about i had to stay home so son was just 4months old and couldn't hunt that day and he went to mine and at 245pm smoked him may be wrong but it scored 142 lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #23
mdoug1076
Four Point
 
mdoug1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA
Default

I have a brother too! I understand. Best buck taken off that place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Haha oh ill be in his stand opening morning i got till he gets back to give him payback the buck he's ALWAYS bragging about i had to stay home so son was just 4months old and couldn't hunt that day and he went to mine and at 245pm smoked him may be wrong but it scored 142 lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 PM   #24
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Before he find this thread and brags haha

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2020, 12:35 AM   #25
RShockley
Eight Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
Anyone have any good suggestions for fixed broadhead arrows? Wanting to switch from the mechanical on my bloodsport arrows with outserts. I use a compound bow too. I know I can read a million reviews online, just curious to hear opinions.
I have been hunting with the SIK F4. I have really liked the results on hogs and looking forward to using them this deer season. Very accurate, great quality, and decently priced.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #26
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

***!?!?!??! 2 deer 1 doe 1 buck?!?!?!? ***!?!?!?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #27
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

2 deer only 1 doe 1 buck
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #28
prestond
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Brenham, TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

How have y’all enjoyed hunting this area in the past? I’m a SHNF guy and will be again this year but always wondered what people’s experience is in Somerville
prestond is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #29
scottimus
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

On a different note...Anybody see any Dove around there?
scottimus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #30
Beargrasstx
Eight Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01milburnsc View Post
If I were going to use a cell cam what service works better, AT&T or Verizon?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The camera does not have to be for the service provider you use. For instance, I run Spartan cameras and I have AT&T service for my personal phone. However, there is one area that Verizon has service and ATT does not. So I will run a Verizon camera out there. It just works through the app, not your phone service plan. I just picked up a Tactacam to go along with my Spartans

Personally, I would be a little iffy putting a camera out there but Tactacam is only 100 bucks which is a lot to lose but in the cell camera world that is cheap.

I will be hunting out there for the first time as well. I have been scouting using satellite mapping - thehuntersight.com for my maps along with the tpwd website. Aerial scouting is great to mark a few spots you think may be promising to then go and put boots on the ground. I won't be hunting this unit much but may hunt a couple of days during the year due to only being an 1.5 hour drive from house.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #31
Beargrasstx
Eight Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

I plan to do some scouting on Wednesday. Looking forward to just getting in the woods. Hoping to shoot some piggies while out.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 05:36 PM   #32
Beargrasstx
Eight Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Do you have to wear orange during deer season since archery only? Do you have to wear orange now if scouting/bow hunting hogs along the way?
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #33
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Do you have to wear orange during deer season since archery only? Do you have to wear orange now if scouting/bow hunting hogs along the way?
Yes sir

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2020, 11:42 PM   #34
97JeepGuy
Ten Point
 
97JeepGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Livingston, Tx
Default

Any idea on what this rainfall has things looking like?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
97JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #35
Beargrasstx
Eight Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Found a pretty good spot on Thursday to hunt. Found a bachelor group, the bedding area, and an old shed. I also found 2 stands in that area. One that looked like it had been there a few seasons. Straps pretty weathered...

The other stand probably belongs to someone on here and looks to have been set out sometime in the last month or 2. . Anyway, I have some more exploring to do to get some other spots in case one of those stands is occupied before I get to the spot I want to hunt. I saddle hunt so I don't leave anything out. I did however mark the preferred tree I would like to use this year with orange tape. However, I scouted some more as well. Good post oaks in a couple of spots
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #36
HogStalker
Four Point
 
HogStalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County
Default

Hope my stands are still out there. Havenít been able to get back out that way since the end of last season. Looks like hogs are year round now. Good to see.
HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #37
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogStalker View Post
Hope my stands are still out there. Havenít been able to get back out that way since the end of last season. Looks like hogs are year round now. Good to see.
Hogs yr round but only 1 doe and 1 buck.... I got lucky wasn't able to get out there till now and luckily no one has messed or found mine lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #38
HogStalker
Four Point
 
HogStalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Hogs yr round but only 1 doe and 1 buck.... I got lucky wasn't able to get out there till now and luckily no one has messed or found mine lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Iíd be happy with one deer out there. Not easy to say the least!
HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #39
Good_Deal
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Default New Guy

Hi All, been lurking this thread for a few months. I'm a beginner and I was out there over the weekend.

This is my first time for everything - White Tail, Bow, Public.

What I saw is pretty inline with the previous comments. I did see a brand spanking new stand with a bike lock, I hope to hunt an area a bit north of it opening Weekday.

Also saw some key wicks. IDK if that is sporting, but I didn't see a stand directly on them. definitely over an active scrape

It seems that treestands are 100% the way to go. Is spot and stalk just a fools errand?

If you see a big guy in a 2wd CR-V in Nails HMU. Any advice is very welcome. I plan on practicing on pigs during the week until season comes.

Regards,

Carlos
Good_Deal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #40
forest-hunter
Eight Point
 
forest-hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Sam
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Deal View Post
Hi All, been lurking this thread for a few months. I'm a beginner and I was out there over the weekend.

This is my first time for everything - White Tail, Bow, Public.

What I saw is pretty inline with the previous comments. I did see a brand spanking new stand with a bike lock, I hope to hunt an area a bit north of it opening Weekday.

Also saw some key wicks. IDK if that is sporting, but I didn't see a stand directly on them. definitely over an active scrape

It seems that treestands are 100% the way to go. Is spot and stalk just a fools errand?


If you see a big guy in a 2wd CR-V in Nails HMU. Any advice is very welcome. I plan on practicing on pigs during the week until season comes.

Regards,

Carlos
Spot and stalk on derr is hard every once in a while you might walk up on one out there. Sounds like my one! GL out there!
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #41
Beargrasstx
Eight Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Yeah, I didn't think stands were supposed to be out there longer than 72 hours.... I don't care, enough trees out there to find a spot but don't complain when another hunter has beaten you to that spot that day and set up. I am not saying any of you guys are like that but I have read a few in the past that think just because they marked a spot with orange tape and left the stand out that they own that spot. First come, first serve. I plan on finding about 3 to 5 more spots so I have backups when someone is in an area before me. Overall I probably will only hunt a 2 or 3 times all year there. Too far a drive and I have other spots I like to hunt

Good luck to everyone this year.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #42
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Yeah, I didn't think stands were supposed to be out there longer than 72 hours.... I don't care, enough trees out there to find a spot but don't complain when another hunter has beaten you to that spot that day and set up. I am not saying any of you guys are like that but I have read a few in the past that think just because they marked a spot with orange tape and left the stand out that they own that spot. First come, first serve. I plan on finding about 3 to 5 more spots so I have backups when someone is in an area before me. Overall I probably will only hunt a 2 or 3 times all year there. Too far a drive and I have other spots I like to hunt

Good luck to everyone this year.
I'd rather yall hunt my stand then set up 50yrds away lol I have plenty of them to choose from that way I can move on and go to the next and we don't ruin both our hunts lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #43
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Just be kind enough and pick up your trash lol and if ya kill one just give me 25% of the credit hahaha

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 07:39 PM   #44
Beargrasstx
Eight Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
Just be kind enough and pick up your trash lol and if ya kill one just give me 25% of the credit hahaha

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
LOL... I kinda happened upon the 2 stands by chance. I found some bucks bedded up. I explored after I spooked them the area and looking over why they chose that spot. Found an old shed. I left it by a tree for someone else. While looking around I found an old ladder stand. I hung some orange tape on it. It didnt have any tags on it. Lots of buck bedding in that spot. A few post oaks too.

The other stand is a climbing stick with the tree hang on up in the tree. Tree wasn't very big but close to a post oak and on a trail. no name tag

Both stands werent far from each other. I found a few other tree in the area. If someone is going to the stand I will flash my light at them in the dark. Even though public I dont want to climb in someone else's stand. I saddle hunt so I can go to any tree

Ditto on the trash. I came across a couple of water bottles and cigarettes but overall pretty clean area. I don't leave trash....I do my best to follow the rules to a T best I know
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #45
mdoug1076
Four Point
 
mdoug1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA
Default

Iíll be at Richland Creek South the first 2 weekends, so Iíll give yíall a break before I come and kill a nice buck. My stand is portable so itís not one of the ones you are seeing. I have plenty of tress picked out from years of scouting. This year is going to be a good year, good luck to everyone!
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 08:31 PM   #46
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
Iíll be at Richland Creek South the first 2 weekends, so Iíll give yíall a break before I come and kill a nice buck. My stand is portable so itís not one of the ones you are seeing. I have plenty of tress picked out from years of scouting. This year is going to be a good year, good luck to everyone!
Oh here we go with the bragging hahahhaha you only.get one this yr so.make it count out here!!!! Lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 11:35 PM   #47
Good_Deal
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Default

Thanks for the advice.

Do that many more deer get harvested during opening weekend? My work schedule is flexible so I feel coming out during the week might yield better results.
Good_Deal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 12:54 AM   #48
Beargrasstx
Eight Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Deal View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Do that many more deer get harvested during opening weekend? My work schedule is flexible so I feel coming out during the week might yield better results.
Like any public land, weekdays will be better. However there are a lot of shift workers that are hunters. Me included and it is close to Houston. Which leads me to luminant in Marquez area which is out in the sticks but that place is always crowded no matter the day. I would not make the drive there. It would be a really awesome place to hunt if it was archery only. I think that is what helps Somerville.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 12:59 AM   #49
Beargrasstx
Eight Point
 
Beargrasstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Do you guys share your kill pictures on this thread or is it all about keeping it "hush, hush"? Looking forward to seeing what some of you guys bag.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 05:46 AM   #50
GD47
Six Point
 
GD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bryan
Hunt In: Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Do you guys share your kill pictures on this thread or is it all about keeping it "hush, hush"? Looking forward to seeing what some of you guys bag.
Def a hush hush lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com