Question on cutting down barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on cutting down barrel

I have a 20” shilen 6.5 grendel barrel that shoots lights out I’m talking consistently .5” gun. What I want to do is build a lighter rifle for night hunting it’s currently 20” and I’m considering cutting it to 14.5-16” and threading for my suppressor. Will cutting the barrel effect accuracy? Obviously I might have to develop a new load.

Accuracy no, would loss a little velocity but not much. Im very happy with my 12.5 grendel sbr.

Comment

It shouldn't affect it much and a lot of that depends on the quality of the cut / crown. Suppressors can change the way a bbl prints on paper but rarely do you see one make groups larger from an already good bbl.

I wouldn't worry about it being a shilen...just remember if you go below 16" you will need to have the suppressor adaptor brake secured to the bbl for an overall 16"+ before you start getting into the whole sbr route.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        It shouldn't affect it much and a lot of that depends on the quality of the cut / crown. Suppressors can change the way a bbl prints on paper but rarely do you see one make groups larger from an already good bbl.

I wouldn't worry about it being a shilen...just remember if you go below 16" you will need to have the suppressor adaptor brake secured to the bbl for an overall 16"+ before you start getting into the whole sbr route.
        Yeah I was planning on either going the pinned muzzle device or just do a F1 SBR.

I don’t have the can yet so not sure about group variance with the suppressor.

Comment

Concentric threads with a quality can shouldn’t effect it much if any at all. You may see a POI shift though. Again that will be dependent on the can and quality of threads. Accuracy should remain the same, or slightly better depending on the current crown and new crown.

Comment

What kind of gun??

I have both kinds, but actually prefer the direct thread on any gun that is primarily hunting related.

Comment

I would just buy a shorter upper were it me. Or just swap the barrel if you are able. Hell I would buy the shilen from you.

Comment

Working...
              X