Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #101
Lee230
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX & OK Panhandle

Safe travels home and thanks for taking us along!
Lee230 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #102
krausejmk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria, Tx

krausejmk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #103
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by krausejmk View Post
Yes he is, super nice guy
Hahaha, I see you haven't seen him when there's a game violation afoot, he's super protective of those deer out there
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #104
krausejmk
Ten Point

Default Live hunt Matador WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Hahaha, I see you haven't seen him when there's a game violation afoot, he's super protective of those deer out there

Yeah I could see that, he definitely wasn’t giving up any tips for us hunters. But he seemed nice enough and I don’t plan on violating any game laws

Last edited by krausejmk; 10-21-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:17 PM   #105
NDN98
Eight Point

Thanks for all the posts/pics and letting us tag along!
NDN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #106
krausejmk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiewes View Post
THX for posting this. I drew GDE for Nov 6. Will PM. This thread was excellent . THX for sharing!

Wes

I sent you the info below via pm but it's not showing it went through so I will post it here for any other that are interested as well

The research I did also said more whitetail to the east but we saw plenty of both on the West side. I talked to 3 different groups and here is what they reported.

Lone Canyon- Hunt this if you can! He saw multiple large whitetail bucks and my research led to this being the best unit.

Shorty- not very big but supposed to hold a lot of whitetail. One guy had a shot at a spike but did not take it. Lots of trails going through here as well, not sure what else they saw as they left a couple of days early

Siskpen- the guys who hunted here did not see anything and left early as well.

Samson-we hunted here and saw plenty of whitetail and mule deer and would have got one if we were rifle hunting. In the upper left corner there are feeders and a food plot on private land where we saw 2 big wt bucks fighting. If I did it again or was rifle hunting I would just sit on a high point and glass until you see something then make a move if need be. This unit was good but due to the wet year the creek running through it was hard to find a good place to cross, best bet was follow an old road to the windmill in the middle and just suck it up and walk through ( i fell once, lol )

Driving around on Sunday we saw a very nice wt buck with a kicker on his right side in East Aeromotor and would have picked that unit or south middle if they would have been available.

Also, I ordered a map from the link below it was very helpful and better than what they had at the office. I got the water proof paper and it comes with the units marked out on it.

http://www.apexmappingsolutions.com/matador.html
Old 10-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #107
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

When I hunted Yoakum Dunes a couple of years ago, the biologist out there told me that Chip runs the mule deer program for the whole state. That's who he reported to.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #108
TCRČ
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina Counties and Redmesa, CO

Quote:
I sent you the info below via pm but it's not showing it went through so I will post it here for any other that are interested as well

The research I did also said more whitetail to the east but we saw plenty of both on the West side. I talked to 3 different groups and here is what they reported.

Lone Canyon- Hunt this if you can! He saw multiple large whitetail bucks and my research led to this being the best unit.

Shorty- not very big but supposed to hold a lot of whitetail. One guy had a shot at a spike but did not take it. Lots of trails going through here as well, not sure what else they saw as they left a couple of days early

Samson-we hunted here and saw plenty of whitetail and mule deer and would have got one if we were rifle hunting. In the upper left corner there are feeders and a food plot on private land where we saw 2 big wt bucks fighting. If I did it again or was rifle hunting I would just sit on a high point and glass until you see something then make a move if need be. This unit was good but due to the wet year the creek running through it was hard to find a good place to cross, best bet was follow an old road to the windmill in the middle and just suck it up and walk through ( i fell once, lol )

Driving around on Sunday we saw a very nice wt buck with a kicker on his right side in East Aeromotor and would have picked that unit or south middle if they would have been available.

Also, I ordered a map from the link below it was very helpful and better than what they had at the office. I got the water proof paper and it comes with the units marked out on it.

PM sent
TCRČ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #109
Aggiewes
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:

Got it! THX! The PM did come through also. THX a ton! Wes
Aggiewes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #110
NDN98
Eight Point

Quote:

Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated. I bought the map you recommended for our GDA hunt in December and the map is great quality.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:16 AM   #111
Aggiewes
Nubbin' Buck

I also bought the map. Hunting next week. THX for all the advice! Much appreciated! Wes
Old 10-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #112
NDN98
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiewes View Post
I also bought the map. Hunting next week. THX for all the advice! Much appreciated! Wes

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2017, 12:29 PM   #113
Aggiewes
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDN98 View Post
Good luck!
THX a ton! Looking forward to it! Wes