Hot water smells in camper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
    Water sitting in water heater will cause it as others have said.
    Another one confirming this.

I would go to my lease and flip the heater on, barely use it and turn it off. Did this a couple times in a row and started getting that stink water.

J

Comment

Pull the anode rod out of it, then drain and flush it. The anode rod helps the hot water heater from rusting out, but I pulled mine out at my cabin at the lease 7 years ago and it’s still working. The smell was so bad I couldn’t sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
        How long since you drained the water heater?
        I haven't yet, just bought the camper used this spring and didn't know this would be an issue. I will flush and drain as recommended by everyone and see about replacing or pulling the anode.Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Bringing this back to the top. Went to the lease this weekend and ran some Clorox through the water heater and that seemed to fix the smell but it started coming back by today. Drained the water heater when we left and pulled the anode out. My question, is there a different kind of anode that would work better?

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
            You might want to replace the sacrificial anode that’s in the tank as well. I usually replace mine every three or so years.
            This is what i used to do

Comment

I've got the same problem in my shop. It stinks terribly with cold water but it's worse with hot. Crazy thing is that my house was built a year after the shop, is on the same well, and doesn't stink at all. I'm beginning to think I have some kind of bacteria or something growing inside the shop Pex water lines.

Comment

exact same thing in my camper. Finally ran enough water thru it to flush the smell out

Comment

I put a new 21 gallon water heater in our cabin and it does the same thing. Tried flushing it out, draining it, etc. Still stinks. Suggestions? Water is great from the well with no smell, but this stuff stinks up the whole cabin.

Comment

There is something you can do with peroxide. I didn't do it but another guy on our lease did while we were mowing the grass. When we got there the Sulphur smell was almost unbearable, after we finished mowing it had no smell at all. Maybe google how to purge/clean a hot water heater using Peroxide.

Comment

Put it on highest setting and leave on for at least 24 hours//my plumber told me this and it works

Comment

Working...
                      X