Why not change the IBO specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not change the IBO specs?

It gets pretty old seeing bows come out that will never realistically meet the number plastered all over their add. I'm not saying I'm angry about it, but it would be nice to know the advertised numbers are out of a somewhat realistic hunting setup. Would anyone else like to see the advertised numbers with a more hunter-friendly arrow weight and draw length?

I see more folks between 28-29" DL than I ever have 30". So let's knock it down to 29". I also have a hard time believing Hunter's will be out shooting 350 total grain arrows, so bump it up to 400 or 425. I feel like these numbers would keep guys from buyers remorse when they go out and purchase the last eat and greatest speed bow only to realize they won't touch the advertised speed with their hunting setup.

I know this isn't all that important, but it's a slow 5:00 hour at the bank.

If you are browsing through a car magazine, which sounds cooler 500ho or 218hp? You want the one with the most hp, even if you don't need it or ever use it. Archery is no different. People want more of everything, so why not give it to them. It isn't the manufacturers fault the shooter doesn't match factory spec.

Comment

Years ago it used to be done an amo method. Still 30 in but it was at 60 lb and a 540 gn arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
        Years ago it used to be done an amo method. Still 30 in but it was at 60 lb and a 540 gn arrow.
        I'm down with that!

Comment

Just buy a bow that makes speed, if you care that much about it there is your solution.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
            Just buy a bow that makes speed, if you care that much about it there is your solution.
            Just come in and rain on my parade....

It was just a thought to get everyone a realistic idea of what they will be getting in terms of their actual speeds.

Comment

Probably easier to redefine marriage as the union between a man and a woman, or another man, or another woman, than it is to change the IBO rating.

Oh wait. That's been done,...

So now on to IBO!!!

Comment

I just use the IBO to compare bow to bow. If my current setup shoots x FPS and has an ibo of 320 amd this new hoyt has and ibo of 350 then with my current setup on the new hoyt i should be +|- 20 fps faster. Closer to 15 fps faster but you get the idea.

From what I have seen over the last 5-10 years the biggest change is how quiet the new bows are for how fast they are. That can't really be measured in a form that can be understood by bowhunters.

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
                  I just use the IBO to compare bow to bow. If my current setup shoots x FPS and has an ibo of 320 amd this new hoyt has and ibo of 350 then with my current setup on the new hoyt i should be +|- 20 fps faster. Closer to 15 fps faster but you get the idea.

From what I have seen over the last 5-10 years the biggest change is how quiet the new bows are for how fast they are. That can't really be measured in a form that can be understood by bowhunters.
                  It would be nice if they had a decibel rating! Honestly I focus on sound levels as much as speed.

Comment

Working...
                  X