DIY Climbing Stick Cost Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Climbing Stick Cost Analysis

So I've been tooling around with the idea of making my own climbing sticks. I have seen several threads across the interwebs about people making them also and read a lot of complaints about how expensive they are to purchase.

I have connections and means myself, so what the heck. Let's do a cost analysis based on the Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks.

4 pack from Cabelas = $189.99

1" Sq AL tube x ~34" with holes drilled--$4.89 x 1
    Single step laser cut-----------------------$3.89 x 3
    US shops wanted to charge $9.71/ea for these...
    PTFE washer-------------------------------$0.25 x 3
    1/4-20 grade 8 bolt, nut, washer---------$1.27 x 7
    Plastic tube plug---------------------------$0.25 x 2
    Speed button-------------------------------$4.67 x 1
    Tree Cleat----------------------------------$9.74 x 2

This comes to approximately = $41.96 per stick not including anodizing or labor to assemble. These will weigh in at approximately 1.8 lbs per stick not including the straps.

$41.96 x 4 sticks = $167.84/set

Now, please not the pricing above for the steps and tubing are for manufacturing outside the US. The US shops wanted $3.0 for the tube, $9.71 each to machine and $9.87 each for the laser cut steps. So for American made units it would cost you = ~$14.00 more per stick or $52.00 more per set of 4. Not including anodizing or assembly labor.

Granted, the big boys probably get bulk discounts by purchasing in bulk and yada yada yada. But as you can see, a person cannot build them for much less than you can purchase. They also have to pay for insurance and TMA testing in case a failure happens and someone gets hurt.

Pardon the rough SolidWorks models. I got a little lazy.

9 times out of 10, I can get a quote and sample parts from my friend in China before the American companies ever supply a quote.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TN_boy; 10-15-2018, 07:53 AM.

9 times out of 10, I can get a quote and sample parts from my friend in China before the American companies ever supply a quote.
    I appreciate all the work you put into that post, good job. I have no interest in tree sticks as I am too old for that, lol.

This quote does bother me though,,, we can do better than that I think

Comment

I would suspect that it is a supply and demand issue. Most companies are either covered up in work and don't want to entertain smaller jobs outside of their norm OR the company has a set overhead and profit ratio and would rather their machine sit idle than to take a lesser margin.

Comment

I noticed you only listed one tree cleat, wouldn't you need two? One at top and one at bottom of each stick?

Outstanding post brother. Any reason you priced against only the Lone Wolf sticks and not the Muddy's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
          I noticed you only listed one tree cleat, wouldn't you need two? One at top and one at bottom of each stick?

Outstanding post brother. Any reason you priced against only the Lone Wolf sticks and not the Muddy's?

Good catch. Updated.

LW were the most expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            I appreciate all the work you put into that post, good job. I have no interest in tree sticks as I am too old for that, lol.

This quote does bother me though,,, we can do better than that I think

I thought the research was informative also.

But the China statement bothers me as well.

Comment

I always aim to buy American made goods at every turn, and even beyond that made in Texas.
              I'm not speaking for Spoiled but I interpreted that statement as "quick and dirty" numbers. Not a preference for Chinese manufactured goods.

Made in the USA comes at a premium with time and cost, so I imagine that would raise that quote by 15-20% including both. I think this was intended as a cheapest way possible comparo.

That being said, at that cost I'd opt for the LWs or Muddy's. But only because I can't weld or have access to aluminum manufacturers.

Comment

I am going to build 2 sets. One with single rotating steps and one with double, non-rotating steps.

Comment

Very interesting.

Comment

One note I forgot to add, the parts pricing above includes shipping cost to me via FedEx from China.

Comment

so you are only going to save a little over 20 bucks a set? I would just buy them lol. my time is worth more than 20 bucks

Comment

Saving $20 on something made in china, doesnt like like much of a deal to me.

How long does it take them to build them and get them to you? Im assuming you could have them shipped from cabelas a lot faster.

Comment

As shop that has parts made in Austin . I can tell you that making things here in the US is very costly . We where making batches of cast steel trays . In the end the cost to make them in the US was too high . So either we go over seas and make them and have a savings of 67% or we stop making them all together .

Well we stopped making them .

Now this is the item that Harley Davidson stole our patent , The parts that are currently being used are cast in WI however all the molds and set up was all done in India .

HD ways of not building t over seas just getting all the hard stuff done else where .

So again as shop that guys walk in and want some machined most have no idea the set up time is the killer on small parts one off items etc . not having several machines to work with .

And a CNC machine is not the end all be all . you cannot just throw a pieces of steel in it and push a button . and presto your done . .

My buddy buys SS tips for Diesel trucks . he has a person that will test fit every one in a jig .

Cost to his shop for one tips 14 dollars , that is with the labor to test fit inspect and rebox the item . Retail 125. To say he sells many of this is no joke . He sells just under over over 100 of these a month . That is a very nice income .

Good bad or not just the way it is .

Comment

Building something like that yourself is rarely any real savings. It's more a means to make sure it's done specifically the way you want, or make something that no one else does. Once you figure in spare material, consumables, aquiring tools, your time, and upkeep on your stuff.....well, you better really enjoy doing it.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I have no interest in making my own sticks. Just doing a cost comparison so that guys who are interested where the costs come from can see it broken down.

I have purchased a set of Lone Wolfs for myself and will make another set just to have as a backup, but I will be cutting and making all the parts myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X