What brand AC unit for home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What brand AC unit for home?

Tired of shotgunning repairs on my home AC. Not to mention it’s costing me a secound mortgage to run.

Decided to bit the bullet and this 15 year old unit replace.

What brand is now the best?

My last home had Carrier...never again.
    Current unit is an old American standard.

What is everyone else’s having luck with?

Had good luck w trane

Comment

I’m a huge fan of Trane but for value wise, American standard is trane with different stickers/plaques on it.

Right now, the higher end units in each brand are pretty good. Ruud/Rheem make a great unit as well

Comment

My last Carrier last 19 years, so I just replaced it with another Carrier

Comment

We have a trane. Found out trane and American standard are one of the same just different shell. Kind of like Chevrolet and GMC

Comment

we just had a coleman installed 2 days ago... it wasn't cheap, but hopefully will last. 10 year parts and labor warranty. powder coated with stainless coils. On the coast, everything corrodes down here and this one supposedly is corrosion resistant. We had an american standard before, and it took a complete dump at 8 years old. Even the inside unit was corroded all to hell, and they're supposedly one of the "top rated" manufacturers out there.

Comment

The brand is only as good as its installation quality and maintenance. Most major brands share lots of the same parts. Find a reputable contractor that backs up his work.

Comment

I'm glad some folks have had good luck with Trane units. I had one installed in 2009. I'm on my 5th. coil. They replaced the first two under warranty. I still had to pay labor. The last 3 coils and labor were paid out of my pocket.

Comment

The one with the best warranty .. we have a heat pump no other option it will need to be upgraded.

Put a 5 ton Rheem in my shop last fall. Is been down twice now .. not sure what up with that but lost the cooling fan which is now a 3 part unit that you have to buy all three items . and a capacitor failed

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                    The brand is only as good as its installation quality and maintenance. Most major brands share lots of the same parts. Find a reputable contractor that backs up his work.
                    Funny you say that. I have been reading a ton of reviews online. Seems like with every brand people say “never again”. There isn’t one that is it.

I started questioning installation myself.

Comment

Trane

Comment

Originally posted by COWDOG View Post
                        Funny you say that. I have been reading a ton of reviews online. Seems like with every brand people say “never again”. There isn’t one that is it.

I started questioning installation myself.

I found the same thing 3 years ago when I replaced a 31 year old Rheem 4years ago.. The reviews for all of them weren`t all that good. I went with a Lennox and then sold the house a year later. We have built a new house since then and put in a 5 ton -14 seer TRANE unit and it has been great so far(10 months). Hopefully the reviews you see online are misleading and not accurate since most are that good. People seem to take the time to give a review mostly when they are pi__ed off.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                          This!
                          My house is 27 years old. Had two Lennox's in it. Replaced one about 10 years ago..it was still running just needed more tonnage in that area because we added on. My other unit is still going. I'm knocking on wood!

Comment

Just had a 3 ton Trane installed yesterday. Lower unit went out Sat. It was the original when the house was built 11 years ago. Upper unit still working fine. Hope it goes a few more years so I don’t have to pay two off at the same time.

Comment

Had a Daikin installed about 7 yrs ago still doing good, electric bill was cut in half replaced a York

Comment

Working...
                              X