South Texas Low Fence Buck- Score????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have 16,000 acres low fence in Webb County. This will be our 18th year managing it. We have been fortunate to take some great scoring bucks on our MLD program including 3 Boone and Crockett bucks. Several TBH’ers have been on our ranch and we love what we have been able to grow.
    I have always dreamed of growing a Boone and Crockett buck. Realize that that is he Crown Jewell of whitetail hunting . One come along maybe once in a lifetime if you are lucky. We have a buck that we have been watching and have history on him for the last 2 years. We call him “Booner” He is 5-1/2 yrs old this year. We try to let our trophies get to 6-1/2-7-1/2 yrs old. Most get better with age and we have killed some bucks that scores their best at 8-9 yrs old. With the amount of protein and Cottonseed we feed the teeth on our bucks don’t have the wear and tear on them that most South Texas bucks do. We have 2 years of video and pictures of this buck. I have added him up and and we are trying to get a good feel for him. I have him at 173-175” I think he will have 4-5” of deductions. So he would be right at that Net Boone and Crockett score + or - 1” inch. I have pretty much decided to let him go another year. He is the type of buck that you don’t want to make a mistake on because of his potential. I feel confident that a t 6-1/2 he will put on more to his frame. We have only got around 6” inches of rain in Webb County this year but he still added around 10” inches this year. So everyone take a look and let me know what you think he will score. Some times when you look at a buck for several years you tend to get used to seeing him. I tend to underscore a bit on the deer I judge. Hope everyone has an exciting deer season and best of Luck in the field and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I figure you are pretty spot on Mark, if his 4's were a couple inches longer he'd net for sure. Great buck nonetheless.

Comment

I’m guessing....174”
        72 up
        102 down

Heck of a buck....

Comment

Very similar to a buck we killed years ago. I remember he had 27” beams.
          He scored 180” Sure like those clean typicals.
          Great buck
          Attached Files

Comment

71 up
            99 on bottom

170 on the money, very nice deer

Comment

I got 173

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

168 -170 Gross

Comment

what are you thinking his 2's are? They look pretty strong.

IMO a typical like this will not add as much horn as a non typical once they are 5.5 or older.

But he could add some trash if you let him ride - we had a 9 point, 175 buck that was 5.5 years old that added 26 inches the following year and booked at 201 non typical. This deer does not show any signs of adding splits or trash however. Tough call

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                    168 -170 Gross
                    This is what I came up with. 100 down and 68-70 up.

Comment

I have him at 175
                      100 down
                      75 up

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

172 shootem

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike M View Post
                            This is what I came up with. 100 down and 68-70 up.
                            Same here.

Are his beams short for your deer? Just isn't much out past his 4's.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                              Same here.

Are his beams short for your deer? Just isn't much out past his 4's.

I think the beam that turns Down is shorter than the one that turns up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X