Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gun brandished towards me this morning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gun brandished towards me this morning...

To start with... I am venting a little, and annoyed with the situation. I dont wish any bad against the leo, and I dont really care to press charges, but maybe he can come away with something from it like I am...

So was trying to make a last minute run up to the bank. it was 12:30. I live 5 minutes from bank, and it closes at 1 (I thought). I am driving down a 2 lane road with a center turn lane 45 MPH...

At the last minute a truck pulls out in front of me... there is another truck in the turn lane trying to turn in where he turned out of (so i couldnt go around). I hit my breaks hard and locked em up. I saw the boards he had sticking out of the back of the truck pretty close. once I was comfortable to take a hand of the wheel I honked... not a super long beep, but a "hey man!, what the heck!" I had my windows down, and a arm out the window. I did move my arm in a questioning gesture.

He then gets all cranked up and he hit his breaks (we are going 5 MPH in a 45 for some reason). I pass him in the turn lane once we cleared the other truck. he then floors it and starts coming towards me trying to force me into the oncomming lane! I floored my suburban (454) and pulled past him (he is in a 6.0 ford). He is yelling and flipping me off the whole time. (I did do a break check at that point, I wont lie) I NEVER flipped him off, but I did throw my arms in the air like WT....F...

a few hundred yards later I am turning left. he is still hanging out the window (literally). as I turn left I see he is out the window flipping me off, and his hat flew off (so he is literally half way out the window). I kinda laughed at that point. (I am sure that helped make him angrier). my hat is still on. I am not hanging out windows raising a fuss.

STILL, he is gesturing me raising a fuss! SO, if you got something to say big boy come say it was the gesture I gave. no finger flipping or anything. just come say it.

I pulled into my bank. right in front of glass doors, and camera's... I get out with phone in my hand and truck keys. Im in a tank top and blue jeans and boots.

I get to the back of my truck and here he comes pulling up. about 30 yards behind where I am parked. I put my arms out again (wt...f). I start to say "really! you cut me off, and get offended because I" and I see him clear his open door with his glock. He starts towards me gun in a prone position. not pointing at me, but half drawn (not at the ground either). he says, still yelling "YOU WANT SOME NOW" "HUH!, YOU WANT SOME NOW (slang words of some sort), I AM A F WORD COP!".

My response was calm, and non aggresive, and I mad no sudden moves "really, now you are gonna pull a gun because i cut you off, I am gonna call a real cop". I didnt feel to threatened by the guy, as I was making no threatening or aggresive moves towards anything. I backed away towards my truck slowly and read his plate out loud to him. then got to my truck and started dialing the phone.

He then retreated to his truck and sat there...

I explained myself to dispatcher, and she kind of surprised repeated what I told her "A man dressed in civilian cloths in a civilian vehicle pulled his gun out of his truck and said he was a cop because he cut me off and I beeped at him"...

I gave her my location, and she said cops are on the way (she also took his plate #)...

The police arrived:

two cars, no lights, no sirens. first one comes to me second to him. as soon as they pulled up I set my phone and keys on the hood and put one hand on the grill gaurd of my truck and the other in a well seen location. the cop approaches with a hand shake. we introduced each other and I instructed him that I am a CHL holder and do have my weapon on me. He replied calmly "ok, where is it". I told him "my back right hip". he responed "ok, let me see your ID". I then told him my wallet was on my back right hip. he said no problem.

I gave him my ID's he took my story, and they took the other guys story. then they went and compared notes. for the most part they all matched. he gave my id's back.

Come to find out the guy is a detective. My response was ok, he still brandished a gun in civilian cloths. They said well he felt threatened... HE FOLLOWED ME INTO THE PARKING LOT! NOT VISA VERSA! I did not pull my gun. then the guy (the detective who pulled gun) starts to get cranked up and says well we wont even go there...

the guy then started to act like it was my fault and flip it off on me, and said he pressed the matter because if I will beep at him who else will I beep at!

I told the officer. I will admit that I could have done things differently. I could have not honked my horn because he cut me off. I could have just been thankful that I did not hit him and have boards come through my window and not honked the horn. I could have not gestured to "lets talk about it". I agree. BUT, it takes more than one person to be in a arguement. he could have done allot more than me to dissolve this prior.

The cop told me that we should all be thankful that you are both level headed guys who both had guns and did not escalate the issue. my response was well I would be stupid to try to draw mine when his is already out.

and to be honest I NEVER gave my gun one single thought. when I saw his I did realize I had mine on me, but wasnt going to pull it out. he had no idea I was armed till the cop told him I am chl holder and a OIF vet (I am not a combat vet for the record).

thats all that happened. we were all sent on our way. I dont know if he should get in more trouble or not. I feel he was in the wrong. but maybe I am wrong? I just dont see how he was justified.

I parked my rig at the bank. got out in a tank top with a cell phone in one hand and keys in the other, and 3k in my pocket to deposit. I was making my way into the bank when he pulled up. He persued me. not visa versa. no matter what happened prior. her persued me. then jumped out gun in hand.

If I would have gotten out with my gun drawn I probably would have been shot as I know he spends more time at the range, and is more proficient than me with my lcp I have shot 100 times at most. second, if I was not shot because it was another civilian and they called the cops I WOULD BE IN JAIL AND A FELON FOR BRANDISHING MY WEAPON! right?

Also, at the end of all of it the cops told me he had a load of dirt in his truck. that was the reason for the unusually slow driving and accelerating. again. there was NO ONE behind me. he just had to wait 3 seconds for me to pass and NO ONE, thankfully because they would have likely rear ended me... I also responded that he had no problem trying to run me into oncomming traffic with his load of dirt and chasing me into walmart (bank is in the walmart shopping center area).
    Last edited by Redneck Archer; 03-16-2013, 01:59 PM.

Ya I'd be sure to file a complaint with his department. He deserves some kind of disciplinary action. Cop or not there is no reason for him to display a weapon, but the fact that he is a police officer makes the situation worse IMO. Glad you handled it the way you did.

Comment

Originally posted by gator89 View Post
      Ya I'd be sure to file a complaint with his department. He deserves some kind of disciplinary action. Cop or not there is no reason for him to display a weapon, but the fact that he is a police officer makes the situation worse IMO. Glad you handled it the way you did.
      I do have a case number/incident report...

Comment

This is really upsetting to me. Did anything happen to him at all?

Comment

I would have had to have his badge number and department he works for. THat is ridiculous, nothing against you, but they should hold him to the higher standard .the fact that he followed you into the bank parking lot shows he has no self control and has no business with the badge and "authority". He is fortunate that you are level headed and didnt draw yours as well. Glad both are alive and that there is not more headline news against gun owners.

Comment

Glad you are ok. What an idiot.

Comment

WOW !!!! that could have been REALLY bad. glad you're not full of holes over something stupid. road rage at it's finest......... glad you were level headed enough after seeing a firearm displayed. not sure how myself or anyone else might have handled it

Comment

What department was he with and what agency responded?

Comment

Just glad you kept your cool when he confronted you with his gun could have went south in a hurry.....and I'd report him

Comment

Eeeee.... Did he get his hat back?

Comment

make a call to his department internal affairs,, from what you say he was out of line,,, it may or may not be the first instance,,, if it happened before, would you want to let it go a third time? if its the first it may well be the best way to make it the last time,,, you may just want to discuss the matter with the chief present to hear both sides... its best if he knos he did not get "away with it" you may not want to pursue it farther,,, then you might...

Comment

If you want something done you'll have to go down and file a written complaint with his department. Was he employed by the responding department?

Comment

Originally posted by raidersmoke View Post
                          this is really upsetting to me. Did anything happen to him at all?
                          nothing!...

Comment

Originally posted by TxKronik View Post
                            What department was he with and what agency responded?
                            SAPD is who responded. they just said he was a detective. I was not given any more information... I still know his plate number. I am good with numbers for some reason.

Comment

Sounds like a typical full-of-himself LEO. JERK ! Bad apples in every profession.

I wouldnt let that one go. I would seek someong higher up the chain of command whereever he works. Reminds me of the DPS who assaulted the females on the side of the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X