No announcement yet.

Eating CWD Infected Elk or Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have an animal disposed of because of CWD do you get that tag back or is it still counted against your 2018-19 tags?

Comment

Lol well hope y’all don’t take your meat to processor cause your deer is gettin mixed with a lot of other peoples deer ��

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        After listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with Brian Richards, discussions with a few fellow TBH'ers, reading various articles over the past week, as well the MeatEater podcast Brian Richards was on about a year and a half ago, I have some questions for folks.

1. If you hunted in an area with known cases of CWD, would you forego testing for CWD, knowing you could potentially be exposing yourself/family?
        2. If you had your animal tested, and it came back positive for CWD, would you still eat it?
        3. Why or why not?
        4. How many CWD positive deer would you have to shoot in order to stop hunting?

Not looking for arguments about CWD, EHD, TPWD, USDA, or any other govt agency, just a poll from the TBH crowd on how you would react.
        1) Yes
        2) Yes I would still eat it, probably not feed it to my kids though.
        3) My stomach will kick the **** out of those pesky prions like it does everything else. Plus there are surely lots of people who've unknowingly eaten them without issue. Having said that, I'll eat a lot of stuff the food pansies won't touch (lol) so maybe I'm on the extreme side.
        4) Infinite

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
          Lol well hope y’all don’t take your meat to processor cause your deer is gettin mixed with a lot of other peoples deer ��
          Don't even have to be mixed with it. Just using the same knives, storage containers, tables, cutting boards, any thing a positive animal came in contact with pretty much. No mater how there cleaned or disinfected, it's going to transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            1) Yes
            2) Yes I would still eat it, probably not feed it to my kids though.
            3) My stomach will kick the **** out of those pesky prions like it does everything else. Plus there are surely lots of people who've unknowingly eaten them without issue. Having said that, I'll eat a lot of stuff the food pansies won't touch (lol) so maybe I'm on the extreme side.
            4) Infinite
            Your response to number one, kinda makes the end part number two unlikely. If your not testing, you are possibly feeding it to your kids ( if they eat it). But then even testing negative does not mean they don't have CWD, it just means they were unable to detect it at this time. At this time they don't know at what stage they can detect down to.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
              Don't even have to be mixed with it. Just using the same knives, storage containers, tables, cutting boards, any thing a positive animal came in contact with pretty much. No mater how there cleaned or disinfected, it's going to transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                I would not eat any venison from any deer taken in any area where CWD had been confirmed. Period.
                I wish more guys like you would spread the word over the highly contagious human dangers of CWD, Especially in Wy and CO.

I got a lot of points in WY and CO and it would really increase my draw odds since both states range from 75-99% coverage of CWD zones. Amazing they have any animals or citizens left

Comment

I can tell you one thing don't eat CWD positive squirrel https://idsa.confex.com/idsa/2018/we...aper72762.html

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    I wish more guys like you would spread the word over the highly contagious human dangers of CWD, Especially in Wy and CO.

I got a lot of points in WY and CO and it would really increase my draw odds since both states range from 75-99% coverage of CWD zones. Amazing they have any animals or citizens left
                    lol this. I may have to reconsider modifying my actual stance with my "what I post on the internet stance" now that I think about it.

Nobody should be eating any deer in any state where any cases have been confirmed. Too dangerous! Yall just go fish, oh but don't eat any fish because they have worms. Maybe just stay at home and watch TV.

Comment

There was a meeting in Bozeman last month between several federal agencies, national organizations, and universities studying cwd. The synopsis of the meeting was very bleak

Comment

If it fries it dies

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
                          There was a meeting in Bozeman last month between several federal agencies, national organizations, and universities studying cwd. The synopsis of the meeting was very bleak
                          Don't worry bro,
                          If you need some Super clean tested CWD free deer, shoot me a pm.

This site never ceases to amaze me with ya'lls ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            I can tell you one thing don't eat CWD positive squirrel https://idsa.confex.com/idsa/2018/we...aper72762.html
                            Around two dozen people in Kentucky alone have died from contracting the prion disease that squirrels can carry. Never eat squirrel brains . . . It's not cwd, but it's extremely similar.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              After listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with Brian Richards, discussions with a few fellow TBH'ers, reading various articles over the past week, as well the MeatEater podcast Brian Richards was on about a year and a half ago, I have some questions for folks.

1. If you hunted in an area with known cases of CWD, would you forego testing for CWD, knowing you could potentially be exposing yourself/family?
                              2. If you had your animal tested, and it came back positive for CWD, would you still eat it?
                              3. Why or why not?
                              4. How many CWD positive deer would you have to shoot in order to stop hunting?

Not looking for arguments about CWD, EHD, TPWD, USDA, or any other govt agency, just a poll from the TBH crowd on how you would react.
                              Its not the meat thats infected, its the brain.

Comment

Although the prions of infected animals are mainly concentrated in the neural and lymphatic tissues, they have also been found in the muscle (meat).

Comment

Working...
                                X