Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has never hunted out out of state and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    Not to mention, once you get an elk back to TX, you have the same amount of meat if you shot 4-5 deer in TX.
    ONCE is the key word. I know lots of people who have gone and did a DIY hunt, success rates are very, very low.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
      For those saying money is the reason, leases in Texas cost more than a DIY hunt will.
      I would have to keep my deer lease if it came down to on or the other.
      I hunted pheasants and ducks in Kansas for several years and it was always a great experience. We would go for the week and most trips we would see some really nice bucks and ocassionally we would see a monster.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        I'm sure some leases are more $$$ but there's not anything cheap about out of state hunting.
        I shot a mule deer and pronghorn for $700. Travel and gear put me at 1K. That's when I was considered a nonressy, now it's cheaper since I switched over.

Please tell me of a good lease that can be commonly had for that .

Comment

I shot a mule deer and pronghorn for $700. Travel and gear put me at 1K. That's when I was considered a nonressy, now it's cheaper since I switched over.

Please tell me of a good lease that can be commonly had for that .
          Where at? Probably in your home state, not far from where you live. What would it cost me from south central Texas to drive up there and do the same? And there are way more leases out there than you think. You just don't hear about them.

Comment

It is a combination of time and money.

For a DIY hunt, I could pull together the money. But I would be lost in trying to get it done right; I'd have to spend a lot of time trying to get everything together. Plus, I'd need to find somebody to go, etc.

For a Guided hunt, the money is just prohibitive.

I've reached the point where I'd like to do an out of state hunt for Elk, Mule deer, or Black Bear. But the logistics are a bit overwhelming on a DIY. I've read the articles on how to do it, but even so, you can tell they are glossing over a bunch of stuff.

Then there is the biggest factor of time, and that is I have a family and out of state hunts are week long events and I just don't feel it is fair to go off for a week and leave my wife and 2 kiddos by themselves. I'd feel obligated to trade off time elsewhere, which would be the handful of weekends where I do that during WT season. So... do I want to trade WT season for 1 weeklong Elk hunt???

Comment

Never.

Time and money as said above

Comment

Hunted NM several times, Cloudcroft and Cuba areas back when an out of state license only cost $48. Definitely God's country out there in the mountains.

Comment

As mentioned time, money and family. I can swing a couple grand for an amazing week hunting, but I need to spoil the wife and kids for a couple of years first!

" I have a family and out of state hunts are week long events and I just don't feel it is fair to go off for a week and leave my wife and 2 kiddos by themselves. I'd feel obligated to trade off time elsewhere,"

Maybe when the kids are grown, right now my time off is precious

Comment

I havent money is the major and only factor

Comment

For those saying money is the reason, leases in Texas cost more than a DIY hunt will.
                      Hence the reason I dont have a lease anymore either

Comment

I havent. Money would be the main reason I guess.

Comment

I have fully planned three trips and had everyone back out. Honestly thinking about just going on my own next year.

Comment

mostly the expense i can find the time , that and being away from home for extended periods,,, after 31 years my wife still likes to have me around the house!....

Comment

I hope to hunt out of state at least once every year for the foreseeable future.

A DIY elk hunt in Colorado can easily be had for under 1000 bucks. Buy an OTC tag for 650 bucks and go hunt the millions of acres of public land. Use the remaining 350 for gas and incidentals. Sure it may take a little time driving to get up there. Sure it will take some effort and research. Sure the success rates are relatively low. But it's far from "expensive" in the grand scheme of things. Save 100 bucks a month from now until September and it will be paid for.

I did this exact thing in September. I go solo almost every year. I wouldn't worry about not having a parter. Heck, lots of places have cell service and plenty of roads throughout. It ain't like being dropped off in a bush plane 100 miles from people in Alaska.
                              Last edited by JustinJ; 12-22-2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                                I have fully planned three trips and had everyone back out. Honestly thinking about just going on my own next year.
                                I have been by myself a couple times and its not a big deal. Just get a little boring around the camp fire

Comment

Working...
                                X