Prickly PearFruit: Harvesting, Handling, Prepping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prickly PearFruit: Harvesting, Handling, Prepping

I had my first experience with prickly pear this summer. So far I've made syrup, jelly, margaritas, and marinated steaks with it.

I'll share those recipes soon, but first I'm sharing my experience. I know some of you have a lot more experience with prickly pear, so I'd love to have your expertise shared on the blog. I'll definitely do this again, but as I say in the post, I'll be investing in a pear burner first to save myself a lot of pain and time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14 Prickly Pear 420.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	25126740

Have a read and throw in your two-cents: http://www.mywildkitchen.com/prickly-pear-fruit/.

I left you a comment on your blog. Looks like you had some fun
    I absolutely love prickly pear season!!! I love all the things that you can do with them

Comment

love me some tuna's. Burning of glockets off is the way to go. I have 2 gallons of prickly pear wine going right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. JS View Post
        I left you a comment on your blog. Looks like you had some fun
        I absolutely love prickly pear season!!! I love all the things that you can do with them
        Thank you Mrs. JS! I really appreciate the input!

Comment

Originally posted by Coachs Wife View Post
          Thank you Mrs. JS! I really appreciate the input!
          You are so welcome!!! I actually made a couple of batches last night - 10 jars of jelly - and plan to make more tonight. Have you ever picked fruit in different areas to see if there is a difference in taste? I have always wondered if there is a difference from one area to another in the taste of the juice.

Comment

I've got about 6 "spineless" cactus in this year for personal use, should start producing usable tunas in about 2 more years. Having a supply out the back door sure beats making a trip and having to deal with stickers. Until mine start producing I'll have bum from my neighbor, they have 3 huge plants that they grew to harvest napalitos.

Comment

We make margaritas. Any one know where you can buy fruit? We couldnt get out to pick much this year

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                love me some tuna's. Burning of glockets off is the way to go. I have 2 gallons of prickly pear wine going right now.
                My parents are making some wine right now too! I can't wait to try it! Have you shared your method?

Originally posted by Mrs. JS View Post
                Have you ever picked fruit in different areas to see if there is a difference in taste? I have always wondered if there is a difference from one area to another in the taste of the juice.
                This was my first time harvesting any. It was in Ozona. The fruit itself was not sweet like I read it was. Kind of tangy. But great with all the sugar added to the jelly!

Comment

Prickly Pear is my very favorite jelly. Thanks for reminding me to pick some this weekend. My neighbor makes jelly so if I give her the juice we split the jelly.

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
                    Prickly Pear is my very favorite jelly. Thanks for reminding me to pick some this weekend. My neighbor makes jelly so if I give her the juice we split the jelly.
                    That's a sweet gig! Nice neighbor!

Comment

Prickly pears??? That's cool I always wondered what they were called in English my mom always called em tunas so I always called them by thier spanish name as well...... learn sumpin' new even day.......

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                        Prickly pears??? That's cool I always wondered what they were called in English my mom always called em tunas so I always called them by thier spanish name as well...... learn sumpin' new even day.......
                        I kept seeing recipes for tunas and thought why would you do that with tuna fish?! I learned something new too. [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Comment

Prickly pears make great beer and Mead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGProstaff View Post
                            Prickly pears make great beer and Mead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Sounds like a recipe I try!

Comment

My dad used to make wine out of them. I always liked picking them, cutting open and just eating the fruit. Lots of seeds though. Be careful around big groups though. Rattlesnakes love to stay in there due to the amount of rabbits and rats that use them for cover. Have a place around Crawford with quite a few on it and there are lots of rattlers there.

Comment

Working...
                              X