X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick and easy ground blind seat

This is just a quickie to get this forum started:

Plastic boat seat
    boat seat swivel (not an elevated one, a flat one that mounts flush)
    5 or 6 gallon plastic bucket (6 gallon if you're over 5'9 or taller / 5 gallon if you're 5'8 or shorter)
    Spray paint
    Drill /hardware that should come with the boat seat

Mark the holes on the top of the bucket where you will attach the swivel base. Drill out the holes.

Attach the swivel to the seat.

Attach the swivel/seat to the bucket.

Paint bucket black or a dark color.

Test it out for squeaks. There shouldn't be any, but if there is slap some lithium grease on there.

You can leave the carrying handle on the bucket to tote it around with or remove it to avoid any untimely noises when you step on it in the blind!
    Last edited by Chew; 10-27-2006, 10:28 AM.

Here's another option for a similar chair. These were made more or less like Chew's except that I used step stools from Walmart instead of buckets. I shamelessly stole this design from Cotton. But it's my understanding that Lip was either the first or among the first to introduce the concept. Just trying to give credit where due. The only thing I added on my own was a bowholder from Boss Buck and a Kwikee Kwiver bracket.

Obviously, the one on the left had not been assembled yet when these pictures were taken. I thought it might be helpful to photograph them when one was complete and the other was just a pile of parts.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	blindchair001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	23815800

Here it is holding my bow and quiver.

Name:	blindchair004.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	23815801

Close up of bowholder...

Name:	bowholder.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	23815802

Close up of Kwikee Kwiver bracket attachment...

Name:	quiver holder.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	23815803

Works great and perfect height for pop-ups!

Comment

Just got through putting one together as Snakelover suggests - except that I have a cupholder on the right side instead of the quiver holder. It will be good to have a place to set binoculors, calls, etc...

It seems to be the perfect height, and it is dead quiet. Can't wait to get it in the field.

...now I just need to figure out where to attach a strap for carrying it.
      Last edited by Aghntr98; 10-28-2006, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I have been makeing seats like this on 5gal plastic buckets for over 20 years. They work great..

Comment

looks good to me

Comment

cool

Comment

David....did you have trouble attaching nuts and washers to the underside of the stool? The one I tried like that was full of little dividers that got in the way of each hole that I had drilled. Had so much headache that I went back to the bucket. But then again...I'm about as mechanically inclined as a dodo bird.

Comment

Also shamelessly copied (we call it leveraging where I work) the design shown above except I used an old disk blade with a 13" boat seat pedestal welded on it, in place of the stool. Very sturdy and comfortable. Have a DB T2 and a CV, seat was little tall in the CV because the blind is setup on a slope, perfect in the T2. Bowholders work great, design could easily be leveraged/copied but would take to much effort for the $12 price tag from BossBuck.

Also Chew I think if you cut a piece of plywood (trim it to fit flush against the bottom side of the stool) and bolt through the stool, dividers/stiffeners, and plywood you would have better luck.
                Last edited by bcdawg1; 10-31-2006, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Does that provide good back support? My lower back is completely shot and this season is the first time I've had to quit hunting b/c of back pain. If I could get a chair with good support I might be able to stay put long after 8 am.

Comment

Chew, good question! I did it exactly as bcdawg1 just described! 1/4" plywood is more than enough. Used flat washers and lock washers to make sure it all stays tight. By sandwiching the dividers, you retain all the strength that they were intended to provide.

Dusty Britches, the seat in my picture actually provides better back support, in my opinion, than the taller, narrower boat seats you sometimes see. Those taller, narrower ones used to hit my back in a really bad place right beneath my shoulder blades. Ughhh! You would think that, since they are taller, they would support your back better, but that's not been my experience AT ALL! The broader base of the seat in my picture supports my back a LOT better. These have been by far the most comfortable and supportive seats I've ever used for hunting. And you could possibly add a lumbar support pillow if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by bcdawg1 View Post
                      for the $12 price tag from BossBuck.
                      Where are you finding them for $12? I see them on Boss Buck.com for $19.99.

Comment

Originally posted by bcdawg1 View Post
                        ... we call it leveraging where I work ...
                        ... the design shown above ...
                        ... Very sturdy ...
                        ... design could easily be leveraged/copied but would take to much effort for the $12 price tag from BossBuck ...
                        ... if you cut a piece of plywood and bolt through the stool, dividers/stiffeners, and plywood you would have better luck.

What are you? Some kind of civil engineer or something?

Comment

Looks like the price went up, I don't have my receipt anymore but I could have sworn when I ordered the bowholders in July they were around $12.

David you ordered some recently also am I remembering wrong or were they cheaper.

Comment

They sure enough did go up! They were still $11.99 when I looked at it I'd say about two weeks ago. Just looked and they are now $19.99. INFLATION!

By the way, this is the kind of seat that will kill your back!...

Name:	BACKKILLER.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	23815924
                            Last edited by Snakelover; 10-31-2006, 09:48 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Nice, I think that would be perfect for where I'm hunting. THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                              X