Cut past center or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut past center or not?

Hey everyone, I am currently waiting to have an intrepid longbow made by Connor Wagstaff and I can't wait. Since I mainly hunt in S. Texas I wanted it to be made of trees that are common here so it will be mesquite and texas ebony. However, he left me the option to have the bow cut-to-center or past center. The bow comes already cut-to-center so if I choose to have it cut past center he will need to add an additional metal beam in the riser to strengthen it (if I understood him correctly). From what I have gathered from Google, cut past center is more forgiving. What are your experiences?

Thanks!

If you ever "string walk" or ever decide to, it will " mess" you up if it's cut past center.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
      If you ever "string walk" or ever decide to, it will " mess" you up if it's cut past center.

Btw, I've never had the pleasure of owning a Wagstaff but have shot some and imo they are one of if not the best store bought bows made. Smooth as silk

Comment

Depending on how far past center it usually allows more forgiveness in arrow spine variance. I'd vote for past center every time. You can always build it out if need be.

Comment

Cut past center or not?

What’s the reasoning behind that??? Why would center cut make a difference in string walking??? And even if it did, it’s nothing a little chunk of leather wouldn’t take care of to build the side plate out a little as needed.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Bisch; 05-14-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Cut past center or not?

Btw, I've never had the pleasure of owning a Wagstaff but have shot some and imo they are one of if not the best store bought bows made. Smooth as silk

Store bought???? What chu talkin’ bout, Willis????? Conner is a custom bowyer out of San Antonio!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              Store bought???? What chu talkin’ bout, Willis????? Conner is a custom bowyer out of San Antonio!

Bisch

Yeah I know all about it and I did use some imperfect wording there but he is in the business of building and selling them, right? I've already expressed my thoughts about his product so no harm intended.
              Sorry if the wording of my statement
              didn't meet your standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                What’s the reasoning behind that??? Why would center cut make a difference in string walking??? And even if it did, it’s nothing a little chunk of leather wouldn’t take care of to build the side plate out a little as needed.

Bisch

They say there's a reason for everything but ****ed if I know this one. I'm no scientist but I do know that all of my bows are cut past center and until I shimmed them up ( with a little piece of leather) they shot 10 to 12 in. to the right at 20 when I crawled down.

Comment

Sorry if I touched a nerve Ronnie! That was not my intent. What you posted made it sound like Wagstaff bows were production bows and not custom bows. I was just trying to clarify that!!

Bisch

Comment

I've never heard anything bad (only good) about Wagstaff bows.

Cut past center will give you more tuning options.

Cut past center will not have any negative effect on string walking, and via the better tuning options will only help it.

Sorry Ronnie. Didn't want/don't mean to step on your toes there, but I'm a string walker.

Rick

Comment

Well it made a difference on five of mine. I suppose it's possible I have some sort of a " glitch" that causes it. Just hope the op doesn't have it too.

Comment

Well it made a difference on five of mine. I suppose it's possible I have some sort of a " glitch" that causes it. Just hope the op doesn't have it too.

No glitch.

It made a difference to your tune, so you built your strike plate out (shimmed it out) to compensate.

You just made the center position work for the arrows you are using.
                        Nothing wrong with that. You gotta get them tuned good to string walk with them.

Change to a different spine shaft, or even a different diameter shaft, and you'll have to adjust it again. Possibly even remove some of those shims to get a good tune if the shafts are stiffer, and/or larger in diameter.

Point is - the farther past center the riser is cut, the more options you have for arrow shafts, and getting them tuned to shoot.

Rick

Comment

1/8th past center for me.

Gary

Comment

Ok thanks guys for the feedback, i appreciate it. I'll probably have him cut it 1/8 or 3/16 past center.

Comment

Just a quick fyi, when a bowyer adds an I beam, it means that he puts a slice of wood down the centerline of the riser. That wood will be visible in the sight window and for what ever width it is down the belly and back of the bow. That is how they make bows with woods like purpleheart or quilted maple in the sight window with some contrasting wood showing in the balance of the riser.

Comment

Working...
                              X