No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think a couple hundred dead piggies will make a huge difference out there fellas. Remember, these hogs are an exotic pest, and although we love to hunt them, they are destructive to animals that belong there. Kill em all. And that means we can't get down on ourselves because a few pigs were killed for population control. Get out there folks, and stick a porker! or 10.

Comment

the 9 pigs that were picked up were still alive and finished off with bowie knives in the taylor park area, my friend who lives out near the lake just so happened to be at taylor park when the helo came by blasting, and they had a whitr pick up truck with a guy in the back with an ar-15 shooting them as well, i'll bet yall will like that? after the helo guys and the truck left my friends red and richard went behind the bathroom at taylor park where the boats park there trailors and stated there were dead and wounded hogs everywhere, all the hogs moved to taylor and wilson fox park area they were smart until helo jerks showed up! and to also add the private lanowners did not allow the hunters to kill off on private land adjacent to wma cause no one wanted to pay those jerks 250 bucks an hour, johnny told me this! so just our pigs were killed, landowners to cheap!!!

Comment

sorry forgot to spellcheck

Comment

137 total kill by helo, the most ever in granger history, what a waste of meat! i'm a hunter but i'm not a scavenger, if there wounded and i can feed some hungry folks with prime pork from granger! will take what i can give, i don't agree with the helo and hoped it would be bad weather or broke down! they should get a group of 10 hunters with aph permits, each unit a-i do a safety brief, buckshot only and go have some fun............save the 5,000 bucks and use it for lake restoration, might not kill but 50 hogs or so but makes us happy and screw those stingy landowners that whine and complain about the hogs but won't even let responsible bowhunters come on there land set up a feeder or even trap some for hungry needy families.

Comment

137 pigs does make a difference! believe me i know! i got five with my bow at granger last year b4 the helo hunt, one after that, you won't see pigs for a while at granger! coyotes and bobcats maybe.

Comment

Heli

I personally think the Helishoot does suck. I am really upset about them just leaving them. I and some friends remove them from property for free for people so its not a cost issue to them. If there is a bunch trapped or shot, the meat is donated to hunters for hungry. They just left it on the ground ? That is unreal.

Comment

I agree that the meat should be donated and not left to rot. There are places all over Texas that will process the meat for free so it can be donated. If they gave us one month to use shotguns out there I think it would help keep the population in check. We might not kill as many as the heli but it would be slot cheaper. I know my friend and I could have killed at least 7 or 8 in the past week it we had a shotgun in our hands instead of a bow. I don't know why the WMA is so worried about the population its not like they have the crops out there. If the farmers have such a problem with the hogs tearing up their fields why don't the shell out the cash to kill them? Sorry for my rant ... anybody have any luck after the shoot?

Comment

I went to #6 and went down and only found deer tracks. Then i went to Pecan and road my bike to the top of spillway then walked down for quite a ways tracks were very few, mostly old. I poured out some corn and waited, but only saw Viper and his girlfriend. Sorry after climbing up i noticed i was kinda is your spot from yesterday. After finally leaving i couldnt figure out why people were flashing me. After i finally pulled over, i found out all lights on the back of my work van quit. Had to drive all the way to north Austin with no lights. Guess ill try in the thick brush in the morning.

Comment

We will be out in the morn.prob #5 or#6

Comment

Good luck in the morning everybody!!

Comment

Hope they settle down a bit in the weeks leading to GRXH. Plan to hunt some new ground this year.

Comment

Aw no problem team me, I saw someones bike at top of the spill way so I tried to see where you were while we walked all the way down to the spillway hoping not to disturb you or get in your way. I threw some corn and pigout in the spot we were at yesterday did you see any signs of them? We walked the reeds in the spillway hoping to catch them where we saw them bedded down on Friday but no luck. I prob won't be able to head out til about the 18th.

Comment

No viper i didnt see any corn out. I poured some out but, i think ya'll may have been down a little further. I too went in the spillway, but i only saw my own tracks. I think they are in the thick stuff for now.

Comment

Birth Rate

With 130 + killed, how fast will the population replace that many hogs?

I feel like I read or heard they did this before out there, and want to say it seems like it was about 2 or 3 years ago.

Comment

A sow can have 2-3 litters per year, average survival rate is 6-8 per litter. Short answer is PDQ. But that does not take into account the very little piglets that will die without momma. Usually after about a month they are pretty self-sufficient.

Comment

Working...
                                X