Axis deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis deer

Do the axis have horns this time of year and when is the ruts for them and what the best strategy for letting the air outta one water does feed bedding areas??????? Im hunting in Sonora tx any help on this would be appreciated...

Most have horns this time of year. Rut is June/July. Alfalfa and water are two good ways to get them in your area.

Comment

fawns drop every 6-7 months and axis horns will drop around their DOB, meaning you can have horns at any stage
      best time of year to hunt them. we hunt feeders in morning/evening and then water during the day
      Last edited by trjones87; 07-03-2013, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Right now, good time for chasing axis!

Comment

Stay close to edges of creek bed or river bed if you have it. I'd stay directly away from feeders unless you know they are coming to them. Most of the time the big ones don't. Alfalfa works OK. Try some of the Purina textured deer feed mix. It's expensive, but the molasses in the feed and the variety that is in it works really well on my hunts that I guide. I use it when I guide in the hill country and here in Gonzales as well. It seems to work better than alfalfa hay for me when I'm in areas that have good grazing which axis will choose over alfalfa sometimes.

Comment

Good time to hunt axis, many just came out of velvet in late May. Alfalfa and corn will attract them.

Comment

Use protein cubes, they can't resist them this time of year.
              We switched to protein pellets they are pawing up the ground to get to them.

Comment

Ours eat gravel.

Comment

Working...
                X