Wrecker driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrecker driver

Anybody here drive a wrecker for a living? I'm fixing to give it a shot and thought I'd see if I'm the odd man out lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

PM Destry on here. Won't much matter if its now or 2am! He's probably on a wrecker somewhere! I don't know when he sleeps!

Comment

From what i hear, you sleep when you can lol

Comment

I dont drive a wrecker but my BIL owns a body shop and his driver makes pretty dang good money. Depends a lot on where you live and who you work for-- more calls you make the more money you make.

Comment

I would think for a single person it would be great. Family not so much. Hours are pretty crazy. Can be dangerous, but there is a lot of money to be made if you run all the time. I was never in the business, but worked in law enforcement we were calling them 10-15 times a day in a very small town. $250 or more a pop, and don't get me started on the big wrecker bill. Had an overturned 18 wheeler once. They bill by the pound. The bill was over 25K.

Comment

Never dealt with one I felt was an honest person.

Comment

Hmmm interesting replies. I towed/repo for almost 2 years I worked the 6 pm to 6 am shift. Did 65% tows from apts basically you get a book cause every property had different rules and you drove around all night looking for violators and then took pictures of violation and 10 or so of car before you even touch it. (I usually parked down the street to take my pictures then I would quickly back up to car lift front end and then the race is on. Car has to be 100% strapped in or if owner came out you would have to drop car at no cost. And you get paid per tow so the trick is not get caught. When I did get caught I wa always respectful told them there options which depends on when they catch you may be dropping car and driving away. Never had any issues on Impounds. But I never stuck my chest out or acted like a jerk. Now repo's are a different thing and there is no options or strapping needed to take over car and that's when you do sometimes need to stick chest out. Now once the confrontation is over and the owner realized it was a done deal the trick is to calm the thing down. Let them get their stuff be kind respectful and remember getting towed or repoed sucks and even if it's their fault you don't know their story and just remind them it's your job nothing personal and if your decent you can easily make 80k a year. Stay away from the 5 hour energy drinks I noticed the life time towers lived on that stuff!!! Lol. Good luck and be careful.

Comment

Oh ya 80% of repo's were in parking lots of strip clubs!!!! Hmmmmm ��

Comment

I won't be on any repos. The company just does the city/ county rotation, roadside, AAA etc. Seems like good money opportunity. From what they showed me, I'd be looking to clear $70k a year now and more as they grow. They're fixing to take over a couple new territories, meaning more $$$$

Comment

Who would you be towing for?

Comment

Originally posted by Ynotdrum View Post
                      Oh ya 80% of repo's were in parking lots of strip clubs!!!! Hmmmmm ��
                      question is why you always cruising the strip club parking lots?

Comment

My FIL was a wrecker driver for many years. It seemed like a very hard way to make a small amount of money. He always worked for small, private companies that were fighting every other company for work though. If you are driving for a good sized company with contracts I'm sure it's a better situation.

Comment

My brother owns a Repo company. He does pretty well, owns a few of his own trucks and has contracts with banks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxHunter06 View Post
                            I won't be on any repos. The company just does the city/ county rotation, roadside, AAA etc. Seems like good money opportunity. From what they showed me, I'd be looking to clear $70k a year now and more as they grow. They're fixing to take over a couple new territories, meaning more $$$$

I worked towing in Oregon, Alaska and Texas, with several good sized companies. You can not run hard enough to make $70k a year. Maybe 1/2 that amount, or maybe even 2/3 in a really good year. YMMV Ohh, and I was driving the heavies a good portion of the time, that's where the money is really at.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              My brother owns a Repo company. He does pretty well, owns a few of his own trucks and has contracts with banks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              The real question is....does Mayhem ever follow him on some repo calls? [emoji848]

Comment

Working...
                              X