Gambrel Set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gambrel Set up

Currently in search of a new set up . Tree wise nothing right by the Water source so was thinking about the ones that go on the trucks receiver. The tri pod one look good for banging your head on the legs .

Pics and suggestions are welcome thank you

I had a neighbor that was throwing away an old swing set so I claimed it. It wasn't tall enough to hang deer so we swapped out the legs with longer 4x4s and cross-braced them. We attached pulleys to the swivels on the cross beam where the swings attach. Simple, but it works well. We keep a small water tank nearby with a 12 volt pump.

Comment

Are you going to make your own ? if you do make it plenty of room hanging out so you're not cramped up against the truck.
      on the spreader bar between the legs the ones I make have a hook on one end and a large caribeaner clip on the other ,
      that way when you go at the last to quarter the deer you can cut the joint of the leg on the hook and when it breaks free of the carcuss the deer will drop but not fall to the ground like if you have just a regular spreader bar with hooks on both sides then you cut the last quarter off drop spine in gut bucket and then unclip last quarter and throw it in the ice chest ! works slick !

Comment

I can make one as I have all machine tools welders etc to make one but really not much time so was looking at buying one they range in price from 88 to 200 on avg Never used on the back of a truck but seems like a decent Idea .

Was wondering how tough they where when pull the hide off . I do not field dress i use the gutless method myself .

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
          I can make one as I have all machine tools welders etc to make one but really not much time so was looking at buying one they range in price from 88 to 200 on avg Never used on the back of a truck but seems like a decent Idea .

Was wondering how tough they where when pull the hide off . I do not field dress i use the gutless method myself .
          I think you'd be much happier making one yoursef. Just concrete a pipe in the ground and weld off of it.

I'd rather quarter one on the ground than fool with the hitch gambrels.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
            Are you going to make your own ? if you do make it plenty of room hanging out so you're not cramped up against the truck.
            on the spreader bar between the legs the ones I make have a hook on one end and a large caribeaner clip on the other ,
            that way when you go at the last to quarter the deer you can cut the joint of the leg on the hook and when it breaks free of the carcuss the deer will drop but not fall to the ground like if you have just a regular spreader bar with hooks on both sides then you cut the last quarter off drop spine in gut bucket and then unclip last quarter and throw it in the ice chest ! works slick !
            I like it!

Comment

^^^^ smart!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                I had a neighbor that was throwing away an old swing set so I claimed it. It wasn't tall enough to hang deer so we swapped out the legs with longer 4x4s and cross-braced them. We attached pulleys to the swivels on the cross beam where the swings attach. Simple, but it works well. We keep a small water tank nearby with a 12 volt pump.
                I also use an old swing set A frame. We lay the frame on its side and hook the animals by the back legs. Walk the frame up, then place cinder blocks under the legs if we have to raise it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a nice skinning rack at my lease. It gets used by all. I went on a public hunt down at LANWR down by Port Isabel looking to get a Nilgai. I came real close...but did shoot an old 5 point.
                  It was heavy and far from the road/bike. I skinned and quartered it on the ground. Was actually easier than I thought it would be.

the hams cam off the ball joints a WHOLE lot easier than on a rack.

I think I am gonna build a 4x6 table the height of the tailgate and just slide the deer from tailgate to table and quarter it. after I am done...haul off the carcass(with guts intact) to the critter dump and be done with it.

Comment

I would consider a swing set and a block and tackle. I can handle any deer or hog with ease. Raise and lowers easy for perfect height while skinning and butchering. I use the pipe gamble with wires that snug around the back legs.

Comment

I just bought the HME receiver mounted skinner. It worked pretty good. It was nice to drive right up to my deer, hook up the gambrel and start skinning quickly. The deer was so warm it made skiining easier.

Comment

Comment

Eastern Jungle Gym Easy 1-2-3 A-Frame Swing Set Bracket Heavy Duty for EZ, Simple Install - DIY Swing Set Parts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KUL00O..._ajsaCbQDV214Z

All you have to do is buy the right size wood.

Comment

I use a table now and it works ok . Loading into my truck is not bad with two people but with one person it can be a small chore . Keep the ideas coming I have some pipe and tubing here at the shop . Just being lazy i guess . I love to weld might just have to build one . If I cannot find one for sale . very busy with little time for extra projects

Comment

Probably not the answer you are looking for but I have come to prefer quartering them on the ground or on the tailgate, like you would do an elk or deer in the mountains. I have done it enough that i can do it faster that way than I can hung up. This also keeps you from having to go dump a carcass later. I grew up using a gambrel and hate them now. They put the hips in a bind that doesn't allow you to manipulate them as much for removal. Hung by the neck works better but so does ground/tailgate.

Comment

Working...
                              X