4 days in D.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 days in D.C.

Headed to D.C. in the morning. I have been told 4 days is not enough time to see it all, so For those who have been, what should we not waste our time on, and what should we not miss? Also, what are some good eating joints. It will be the wife,myself, and our 17 year old daughter.

Do you want to look at sights and take photos or are you looking to go inside something like the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and stay for a good while?

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
      Headed to D.C. in the morning. I have been told 4 days is not enough time to see it all, so For those who have been, what should we not waste our time on, and what should we not miss? Also, what are some good eating joints. It will be the wife,myself, and our 17 year old daughter.
      Good eating joints? I was there for a week just a few weeks ago. I never had one good meal there. The subway was terrible. Pretty much took an uber everywhere. But, I think all subways suck. Everything around capitol hill was ok. Spent two days there. But, not quite what I expected.

Between soul food, tex mex, fresh seafood, and Cajun cuisine I am just too spoiled on the good stuff.

The museums were very good.
      Last edited by Bayouboy; 07-14-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Its been decades since I have been.

White House
        All the monuments
        Smithsonian Museum
        The Mint
        FBI building

Comment

The one thing you can't miss is the changing of the guards at the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
            The one thing you can't miss is the changing of the guards at the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier.
            This.

The National Archives (a must see)
            Arlington House
            All the monuments/memorials (Jefferson was my favorite)
            Capital building
            White House
            Air and Space
            Natural History
            Breezed thru the Holocaust Museum (you could spend a whole day here)

I really wanted to see the Udvar-Hazy, but could work it into the schedule.

I think I walked about 15 miles in those 3 days.

I did all this in about 2-1/2 days.
            Last edited by Greenheadless; 07-14-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Bible museum
              National mall
              Arlington cemetery
              White House
              Lincoln memorial
              Capitol building
              Mt Vernon w/ G Washington estate
              Wife just got home yesterday
              Spent a week and said even 7 days wasn’t enough
              But these she said were the good ones

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                Do you want to look at sights and take photos or are you looking to go inside something like the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and stay for a good while?
                Both really. We are taking a Segway tour of all the monuments tomorrow evening

Comment

All of the above. Also, contact your congressman's office. Sometimes on request they can get a flag that has flown over the capital for you and arrange a private tour of the capital.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post

Just spend half a day a Arlington. You will be forever grateful.

Comment

If y'all are driving I would recommend a day at Gettysburg.
                      Also, if you are driving, take the metro trains into the city. Parking is pretty much non existent.

Sorry for the extra post.

Comment

For food go to Old Ebbit Grill. Crab claws and Oysters are stupid good if’n you like that kind of table fare.

Comment

Holocaust museum is something............

Comment

So sooooo many things to do.

If you like museums and monuments I'd spend 3 days at the mall. The big ticket items are the Air and space, natural history American history and the holocaust. Add in the archives, capital along with the Lincoln, Jefferson, WWII, Korean and Vietnam war memorials.

If you have a car or uber you could see mount Vernon and while on that side of town see the NRA museum.

If you like aquariums the one in Baltimore is well worth it plus the inner harbor is a cool place to make a day.

I lived there for 3 years while in the USAF and didn't come close to seeing half of What s there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                              Both really. We are taking a Segway tour of all the monuments tomorrow evening
                              IF you want to venture outside of DC, about 35 miles away is Baltimore. That was one of my bucket list items. I wanted to see (and did) Fort McHenry where the Battle of Baltimore happened, where the bombs were bursting in air with the rocket’s red glare...... led to the Star Spangled Banner. The fort still flies the 15 star, 15 stripe replica of the original flag.... which can be seen at the museum in DC.

Comment

Working...
                              X