License requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

License requirement

Another thread dealing with dead deer from last season got me to thinking about showing "proof" of kill and having the kill log filled out on the back of your hunting license. Say a guy only deer hunts so he buys a license for hunting, kills a few deer, fills out the back of his license accordingly but as soon as deer season is over he throws his license away. Then in July game warden shows up at his house because neighbor suspects the guy has shot too many deer or whatever. So, I guess my question is-- how long are you required to keep your hunting license during the year?
    Last edited by texan16; 07-03-2018, 01:32 PM.

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
    Another thread dealing with dead deer from last season got me to thinking about showing "proof" of kill and having the kill log filled out on the back of your hunting licence. Say a guy only deer hunts so he buys a licence for hunting, kills a few deer, fills out the back of his licence accordingly but as soon as deer season is over he throws his license away. Then in July game warden shows up at his house because neighbor suspects the guy has shot too many deer or whatever. So, I guess my question is-- how long are you required to keep your hunting licence during the year?
    Back home we kept tags with the meat until the meat was gone. I thought Texas was the same.

Comment

I have kept almost all my licenses and tags I have and have not used from almost all my hunts in state and out of state for a lot of years! Just a thing with me. Even if I did not collect them, I would keep my license for the time it is usable in TX for anything that it is good for.

Comment

I keep all mine too, probably have the last 15-18 years worth in my safe. But I am wondering how long you are "required" to keep them ?

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
          I keep all mine too, probably have the last 15-18 years worth in my safe. But I am wondering how long you are "required" to keep them ?
          Probably for the length of time they are good, Sept 1 thru August 31 of that same year.

Comment

I know of no requirement to keep your license for any length of time. Tag only needs to stay with meat until it reaches the final destination. Your house, not your gullet...

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
              I know of no requirement to keep your license for any length of time. Tag only needs to stay with meat until it reaches the final destination. Your house, not your gullet...

This^^^^^. They can ask, it if you don't have it I don't know what they expect you to do. They can see if you purchased one or not.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                Back home we kept tags with the meat until the meat was gone. I thought Texas was the same.
                Do processing plants give your tag back ? I always see them staple it in a book.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                  Do processing plants give your tag back ? I always see them staple it in a book.
                  I’ve never gotten one back.

Comment

keep mine till I buy a new one. But I'd think once back home there is no requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                      We've always got ours back with the processed meat.

Comment

can't recall a processor ever giving one back but I do get a receipt. Figure if I get stopped on way home from processor, I can show receipt and we can go back to processor to see tag. Guess that technically doesn't satisfy the tag with meat till final destination though. Never thought about it. Guess that is something I should check into.
                        Any game wardens reading this have insight on this scenario??

Comment

Working...
                        X