Rifle wood finish protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle wood finish protection

I have a sako 7mag that I'm taking on an elk hunt. This is one of several rifles I received from my dad that are gorgeous. 70's blonde stocks, no scratches or dings. What is the best way of protecting finish from dings and scratches?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe some of that cling wrap type of camo tape? Not sure how rough the country will be that you're going through, but that might do the trick to save it from most minor dings and scratches without putting a bunch of glue/tape residue.

Comment

Not using it.

But I wouldn’t sweat getting some dings in the gun because your Pop would be out there with you. It’s a gun!

Comment

Last edited by M16; 07-18-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

I tend to agree with IowaHunter just because my great uncle passed down to me a Savage 250-3000 that I hunt with often and while it is in excellent shape it does have worn down spots and a ding or two. I see those as what came before me. He killed 40 plus elk with it, pure headshots, and I'm reminded of the hunter and man that he was everytime I take it out. So I guess I'm saying when you pass it down one day it may have a small nick or two but it was you that did it... maybe I'm getting too sentimental, haha

Comment

I would just use it but you could put it in a synthetic stock while hunting.

Comment

Pictures would help!

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  Pictures would help!
                  Bingo - I love seeing sexy rifles.

Comment

Don’t use it at all.
                    Or change out the stock on it.
                    But I would use it and not worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

a gun you are worried about scratching is not worth having sentimental value or not. every gun I have i use. i take care of them but I use them. they all get bumps and bruises

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
                        I have a sako 7mag that I'm taking on an elk hunt. This is one of several rifles I received from my dad that are gorgeous. 70's blonde stocks, no scratches or dings. What is the best way of protecting finish from dings and scratches?

order a boyds laminated stock to hunt with,, or leave it home,,,,, pretty aint worth a dang if your afraid to ding it

Comment

Not real worried about rifles. I’ll baby my sporting clays gun. But I hunt hard with any of my rifles. Thousands of dollars in some. That’s what they were built for!!

Comment

I don't know if you can buy them, but I'm sure you could have a neoprene sock made to cover the stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                              I don't know if you can buy them, but I'm sure you could have a neoprene sock made to cover the stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X